UKC

It's not your lock but what you lock to that counts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ByEek 20 Nov 2014
Looks like bike thieves have upped their game in light of new heavy duty bike locks!

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/thieves...
 earlsdonwhu 20 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

And that is for two 'modest' bikes!

Sad that the incident was seen and reported but plod never turned out.
 Phil1919 21 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Seeing as they can land a spacecraft on a meteor, isn't there some sort of tracking device that could be fitted into the tubing of a bike?
Timarzi 21 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Don't worry, enquiries into the theft are ongoing. I'm sure that'll involve turning up or speaking to the victims any day now.
 Phil79 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Phil1919:
> Seeing as they can land a spacecraft on a meteor, isn't there some sort of tracking device that could be fitted into the tubing of a bike?

Yes you can. And the last time I looked at them (some years ago) they were expensive (£150+), but a quick google indicates you can get some for less than £50 these days (ebay direct from china, not sure about quality etc).

The issue with trackers is quite often they are easily removed, and obviously don't help if the bike is stripped and sold as parts.
Post edited at 09:45
 Trangia 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Phil79:

The police know all about bikes and bike crime. Bicycles are things ridden by cabinet ministers and the police are best employed in ensuring that the minister rides through the correct gate when exiting Downing Street. Stopping a cycle theft even when they have been tipped off by a member of the public is a low priority.
 girlymonkey 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Phil1919:

yeah, you could fit a tracking device. The police still wouldn't do anything about it. I had 2 stolen at university, from the main concourse, right under CCTV. The police didn't even look at the CCTV, they just gave me a crime reference number to go to my insurance with. I'm sure bike theft must cost the UK an absolute fortune. Bike theifs know they are totally safe.
If my bike was stolen with a tracking device on it, I wouldn't follow it up myself. And the police still wouldn't do anything about it.
I am generally a big fan of our police, I think we do have a great police service in this country, but they don't give two hoots about bikes theft!!!
 Phil1919 21 Nov 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

So I guess that means they are overstretched.
 Phil79 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Trangia:

> Stopping a cycle theft even when they have been tipped off by a member of the public is a low priority.

Of course. I've had several nicked with no come back (but at least the police bothered to turn up). Which is why I'd go for a decent lock instead and try to prevent the theft in the first place but not leaving a bike where it could be nicked.

But it doesn't give you much faith in the average loop style bike stand to know they can be cut so easily. Probably better off locking to a set of solid iron railings.

OP ByEek 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Trangia:

So what you are saying is that the police deployed to protect Downing Street and the seat of power in this country should repeployed to bike crime?
Fidman 21 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

The person who witnessed it should have told the police the thieves were drunk and had driven up in a car, then they would have turned up.
 wilkesley 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Last year our tractor driver found three people trying to steal something from one of our buildings. He got the registration number of their van and could positively identify two of them, as he had been to school with them. The police came to interview me, but couldn't be arsed to go across the road to interview our tractor driver, despite me telling them he was waiting for them. Over the next few weeks they completely failed to get a statement from him and then dropped the case because they couldn't get a statement.

Perhaps we should just make them all redundant and save a few billion quid.
 Chris Harris 21 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Nothing new about that. Happened to me about 15 years ago.

Not only that, the racks were in a CCTV monitored cage with swipe card access.

Trevers 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Trangia:

> The police know all about bikes and bike crime. Bicycles are things ridden by cabinet ministers and the police are best employed in ensuring that the minister rides through the correct gate when exiting Downing Street. Stopping a cycle theft even when they have been tipped off by a member of the public is a low priority.

Let's not forget breaking imaginary speed limits in royal parks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...