UKC

Torres del Paine climbing permits?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Last 20 Nov 2014

Hello.

I'm heading down to Torres del Paine to meet and climb with my friend in February, but could do with a little clarification on the permit situation from anyone who's had direct experience of it.

He's from there and reckons that it'll be easy enough to get one once I'm out there. But, well he's local, so he's never had to get one as a foreigner (I appreciate he might have to get exactly the same bit of paper to climb) and I'm just worried that it might be a massive ball ache and end up taking up half my trip getting hold of the thing.

Mixed messages generally across the internet.

Anyone got any direct experience of whether or not this is fairly straightforward that they can share with me?

Cheers,
Tom

OP Tom Last 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

Sorry, should have said it is possible to apply online apparently, but I'm damned if I can work it out.
 Mr Lopez 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

From here http://www.parquetorresdelpaine.cl/es/permisos-especiales

Climbing permits only given in person at the Park's office. You need to detail the route(s) and mountains, and can't change objective (ha). You must have rescue insurance and a VHF radio or satellite phone.

Foreign nationals have to also have a permit from the border agency (DIFROL). No details there of where or how to get it but from memory (i wasn't there but looked into it) you need to get it before getting to the park and it costs $100 or so.
 Mr Lopez 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

For the DIFROL permit the details are here http://www.difrol.cl/autorizaciones/expediciones-de-andinismo-y-aventura.ht... along with a protected email address. Got no time to read it right now, but if you have any problems translating let me know and i'll have a look tomorrow
OP Tom Last 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Hi Mr Lopez.

Thanks for the info. That web page is very strange, asking for complete list of names, passport numbers, intended summit etc. But then you need a password to get in to fill out the form!

Thanks though Mr Lopez. I think I might phone the embassy or something.

Cheers,
Tom

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...