UKC

Skiing on Spantiks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dgbryan 21 Nov 2014
Looking to be in Cham Jan & if conditions allow / require it, to have a go at learning to ski in my Spantiks - I shuld say that I am an atrocious skier in any gear. However interested to know if anyone can advise a cheap rentable or resellable set-up that will at least let me have see if can mange this?
Many thanks.
Damian
RockShock 21 Nov 2014
In reply to dgbryan:

This has been discussed to the death in many places... Including here (look for "skiing in B3 boots" on google)...

My two cents:

1. What you plan to do is not even skiing, but rather descending on planks in a horrific and dangerous way... I wouldn't recommend it.

2. You will do much more in the mountains with proper ski touring boots and it will be a lot safer and comfortable (and, above all, more fun). You can still get the Dynafit TLT5 Mountain (it's the model from 2013 collection) in many shops at decent prices - I'd suggest to get yourself a second hand used skis that weigh around 1,2kg each and spend a week on piste to polish your skiing abilities...

Why do you want to 'ski' on Spantiks? Is it just for approach for climbs? Or is it because of budget limitations? On moderately difficult climbs the ski touring boots are good performers... Going up you will hardly notice the difference (unless we talk really high altitudes and cold), and going down you will get down faster and safer with proper skiing setup.

For flattish glacier approach I'd reckon that Spantiks would be ok, but I wouldn't venture on them to a proper "skiing" terrain - and that's probably what you will encounter if you want to use them for descending peaks after you climb them...!

Cheers!
RS
OP dgbryan 22 Nov 2014
In reply to RockShock:

Cheers .... more or less what I imagined & the links you indicated were helpful.
Really only thinking of approaches on flattish terrain in snowy conditions - preference being to walk in someone else's hard-packed tracks.
Budget (& not doing much skiing generally) are the main motivators but I might browse the 2nd hand shelves!
Damian
 GraMc 28 Nov 2014
In reply to dgbryan:
Although most of the comments the other poster has made are totally valid, I prefer a more positive outlook!

I've done a reasonable amount of skiing in my spantiks and 130cm skis, and I think for the right objectives and snow conditions its a great way of getting in out of routes provided you are a strong skier. ( although some of my friends will definitely disagree).

Although you can climb pretty hard in ski boots, I don't really like it, and my proper skis are 185cm which really get in the way, so i prefer having a proper ski set up and my approach set up.

most modern bindings wont fit mountaineering boots, but a lot of old school metal touring bindings will. Silveretta bindings are the cheapest, although are rather heavy. A friend of mine uses some nice lightweight plastic things that are a lot better, unfortunately they are really rare, and I cant for the life of me remember what they are called.

Generally as long as the snow is consistent its fine, if there is any wind crust you are totally f*cked. I've skied out from the jorrasses in knee deep powder, skied back out from the courtes in cruddy snow and both times they were great. I've even had a few piste days on them for fun ( but you look like a total punter).

It is a very easy way to blow your knee out or break and ankle though due to the lack of support in mountaineering boots though.
Post edited at 11:04

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...