UKC

bunion pain.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dan bulman 21 Nov 2014
was up skiddaw last night and this morning i have pain in my big toe. self diagnosed as a bunion.
does vanyone else suffer and if so how have you treated it?
i think it may be caused by stiff soled boots as i was in my manta's getting them warmed up for winter. otherwise it hasnt been a problem.
OP dan bulman 23 Nov 2014
In reply to dan bulman:

anyone?
 Hyphin 23 Nov 2014
In reply to dan bulman:

Ex is about to have her's fixed, no driving for 6 and no work for 12 weeks after the op. Always thought it was a bit of a comedy complaint, nae laughing matter though it would appear. Don't know if early diagnosis and treatment helps, but might be worth asking a GP
 peebles boy 23 Nov 2014
In reply to dan bulman:

I've got one on each foot. Early winter season is always painful until boots and feet get in sync with each other.
Went to docs, didn't get any advice at all really. Dad had one taken care of years ago - horrific; breaking and shaving of bone were involved...

I blame 1990's tight climbing shoes personally! If I go rock climbing, it generally takes a couple of days from the pain to subside...
 peebles boy 23 Nov 2014
In reply to dan bulman:

Just a thought, but when you say "pain in big toe" - you do know what a bunion looks like...? It's more than just some pain, there's visible deformation involved the majority of the time!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bunion&es_sm=93&source=lnms&t...
OP dan bulman 24 Nov 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

yeah, its one of those. the pain has gone now but i might go and get it seen to.
 krikoman 24 Nov 2014
In reply to dan bulman:

Stop walking in high heels.
 Offwidth 24 Nov 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

Interesting. I find winter climbing the killer and rock climbing fine.
OP dan bulman 24 Nov 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

wonder if its walking in stiffer boots then?
 Rubbishy 24 Nov 2014
In reply to dan bulman:

Mortons neuroma maybe.
 wert 24 Nov 2014
In reply to dan bulman:

Properly fitted/moulded orthotics/insoles helped me. (Not off the shelf ones, actually had a plaster cast of my foot made & orthotic based on that). After a few weeks of wearing (which was quite uncomfortable until you get used to them) never had any major pain since. I had three sets made .... One for walking boots, one for normal shoes & one for badminton trainers. Seeing the dr was the first port of call to get the ball rolling.
 Offwidth 25 Nov 2014
In reply to dan bulman:
For me its pressure and bashing my foot that aggravates the bunions. Soft leather tops like climbing shoes seem to minimise pain. I wear climbing shoes with socks and as loose as I can without them losing snugness. My feet hurt after a winter mountain day out and I struggle with two days in a row despite popping anti-inflammatories. In contrast I can rock climb day after day pill-less. My feet stopped getting worse quickly when I adapted what I did...clump less and try to wear softer shoes. I tried orthotic insoles but they gave me knee problems. Part of my adapting was giving up running. I said in 2000 I would get an operation if things got noticably worse and I still dont need it yet. My main problem is a cramp like feeling in my left foot that comes for a week or so then goes away. It makes a climbing shoe hurt... so I sometimes climb with a 5.10 guide on my left foot then (eg when I did my hundred solos in a day on Stanage).
Post edited at 09:25

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...