UKC

Nuisance email

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 21 Nov 2014
I had an email last night and it was obvious that it was something like phishing or similar as the only text in it was a link.

What mystified me was that in the addressees line in had my correct name(not just my email address), albeit that two letters of my Christian name were transposed, along with the names of about four other addressees.

When I right clicked on the email and looked at "properties" it did indeed have the addressees proper names followed by their email addressees.

Can anyone enlighten me how this has been done?

Thanks.
 ewar woowar 21 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

You need to wear a tin foil hat!
OP mypyrex 21 Nov 2014
In reply to ewar woowar:

I am seriously curious to know.
 climbwhenready 21 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

It can be that someone who has you in their address book has a virus, which has sent the contents of that address book to some spammers.
 MG 21 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

DId you know the other people?

At guess they obtained you details from somewhere else. Anywhere else that mis-spells your name; they would be prime suspects for the leak.
OP mypyrex 21 Nov 2014
In reply to climbwhenready:

> It can be that someone who has you in their address book has a virus, which has sent the contents of that address book to some spammers.

Yes, I did wonder if it was something like that. If they'd used my name, however, would they not have had to get the spelling correct?
OP mypyrex 21 Nov 2014
In reply to MG:

> DId you know the other people?

> At guess they obtained you details from somewhere else. Anywhere else that mis-spells your name; they would be prime suspects for the leak.

Would the other addressees have necessarily been in the same address book?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...