UKC

Tailgating

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 21 Nov 2014

I was out in the car this afternoon and I turned into a main road which was perfectly clear. About two hundred yards further on I saw a white van in my mirror and, judging by the amount of mirror he was taking up, I estimated him to be less than half a vehicle length behind him.

In an effort to make him pull back a bit more I touched my brakes. This had no effect other than for him to maintain the short distance between us. Instead of touching the brakes a hundred yard further on I made a point of actually braking. He then continued to follow for another quarter mile until he pulled into to park outside a shop, flashing his lights as he did so.

How does anyone else deal with tailgating?

PS
I was actually able to identify the van, it had a company logo on it - any good following up with anyone?
Post edited at 19:18
 Mr Lopez 21 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Move to the side to let them overtake?
OP mypyrex 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Mr Lopez:

> Move to the side to let them overtake?

Except that with the amount of parking - illegal and otherwise - in that stretch of road that's not much of an option.
 Timmd 21 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

You could describe feeling intimidated and him flashing his lights at you?
 MG 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Or slam your brakes on and claim £xxx for whiplash when he hits you from his insurance.

(If he has any)
 Mr Lopez 21 Nov 2014
In reply to MG:

And if you are caught doing such by police, cameras, etc that'll land you with anything from a fine and points to a criminal record for gbh if the other driver gets injured. Nice tip...
Rigid Raider 21 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Were you driving at 20 in a 30 zone? All van drivers are stressed and short of time.
In reply to mypyrex:

It's hard to do, but ignore him and concentrate on driving safely yourself.

He probably drives like that all the time, and so is unlikely to hit you unless you brake suddenly - so the best way to stop him hitting you is to watch the road ahead for hazards and drive safely / defensively.

As for 'following it up' - the police are unlikely to take notice without evidence. Contacting the company is an option if it's a large one, but if it's a small company / sole trader you risk just speaking to the guy himself and escalating things.
 MG 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Check your sarcasm meter - it may need calibration
 Skol 21 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
I suppose it depends on the driver on the receiving end.
On motorways I try to get out of the way as and when possible.
On normal road, I stick to the speed limit, flick my mirror to non dazzle, and try to be as erratic as possible.
 tim000 21 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

i`ve had a few of these . i normally slow down a bit and keep going . i did have a pillock tailgating me a few month ago as i was driving down a country lane . i slowed down a bit but got really pissed off . as it was a narrow lane i slowed down and stopped . i then got out of the car and walked over to him . im 6`4 by the way . you could see the panic in his eyes . i told him to back off and stop driving like a dick and drove off. he backed off
OP mypyrex 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Rigid Raider:

No 30
 Skol 21 Nov 2014
In reply to tim000:
Violence, or the threat of it, is always the answer
OP mypyrex 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Rigid Raider:

>All van drivers are stressed and short of time.
And that makes alright does it?
Removed User 21 Nov 2014
In reply to MG:

> Or slam your brakes on and claim £xxx for whiplash when he hits you from his insurance.

The drawback with that is it can result in actual whiplash.

Mypyrex: definitely make a complaint. He may be a sole trader and tell you to f*ck off, but it is worth a shot. No point dwelling on it otherwise though, UK roads are crammed with plonkers.
 blackcat 21 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex: Best advise is to ignore them, if your doing the appropriate speed keep calm and carry on( pun intended), if theres a dual carriageway get into the left lane and let him by.People who do this tailgating thing will only get worse if you intenionally piss them off.The main advice i would give is never get out of your vehicle, no matter how big you are, because you dont know who your gona meet, they could have any sort of weapon on them, and these are words are echoed by proffesional fighter ian freeman.
 Seocan 21 Nov 2014
In reply to tim000:

well done tim, using your size as a threat, maybe he was trying to get somewhere while you had all the time in the world.
In reply to mypyrex:

Going by the replies here, you should have stopped, got out, given him a reiki massage, offered him counselling for his stress, given him a 50 quid tip, and offered to speed ahead with your hazards on in order to get him to his destination quicker.

Nobody is an ill-mannered lout these days, they all just need understanding.

I'm thinking of coming to the UK and setting up a business selling spines and balls to the male population.
In reply to mypyrex:

I suspect the driver was meditating on Labour snobbery and thus consumed with rage
 Skol 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Seocan:
> well done tim, using your size as a threat, maybe he was trying to get somewhere while you had all the time in the world.

Yes . Well done Tim.
His actions may prevent the tailgater from doing it for a while.
Post edited at 21:21
MarkLogan 21 Nov 2014
In reply to MG:
If you brake suddenly and can't prove you were braking to avoid a colission yourself it is in fact you who will be at fault and liable for damages to the van and its driver in this case.

I usually just take my foot off the accelerator and coast and flick my mirror to anti-dazzle. As for reporting the driver without sounding like Victor Meldrew i'd say yes, report him. If he drives like a twat and gets more complaints made he might be threatened with the sack if he carries on like that. I'm quite sure that would give him a reality check.
Post edited at 21:25
 Big Steve 21 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex: I always drop down a gear. If it continues, I drop down another one, and so on, they back of every time. They can sound their horn as much as they like, dont bother me. I just do the same.

imkevinmc 21 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
You indicate, come slowly to a standstill and allow him to overtake.

Then get on with the rest of your day.

Life's too short.
Post edited at 21:39
OP mypyrex 21 Nov 2014
In reply to imkevinmc:

> You indicate, come slowly to a standstill and allow him to overtake.

> Then get on with the rest of your day.

> Life's too short.

Not read my reply to Mr. Lopez?
 Dan Arkle 21 Nov 2014
>never get out of your vehicle
good advice, even if you are the sort of person who thinks they can handle things physically, what you could achieve if vastly outweighed by what you could lose. Personally, I wouldn't stomp on someones head after pushing them over - they might!

The truth is, you cannot achieve much even by talking to them, you have a 95% chance of being told to eff off.
Even the most rational person doesn't react well by being told they are in the wrong by a random stranger. The instinct is to be defensive.

I was reminded of this the other day when I helpfully flashed my lights at someone who I assumed had fogotten to turn his on. It turns out that 'even though I need effin glasses, he doesn't'. I didn't mind being told this through open windows, but I'd prefer not to be in a remote layby with this man.

Back to the O.P. To deal with them, I'll slow down enough so there is no possibility of them going into the back of me. If they get closer, that can mean going very slow indeed. They don't tend to like that, (although annoying them is not the main intention). Often after a few bends/junctions they'll often back off a bit. At the very least they will be on the alert as you are not doing what they expect.

Try to consider your responsibility to anyone coming the other way too - that is, don't put them in a situation where they might consider a dangerous overtake.
 balmybaldwin 21 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Repeatedly wash your screen, the over spray gets their screen wet and after a while they will back off so they dont have to keep putting their wipers on. Its surprisingly effective
In reply to mypyrex:

> How does anyone else deal with tailgating?

Slow down by 10mph and put my rear fog lights on. Don't let these bullies win, stand up to them.

Hooo 21 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I had a twunt like that the other day. I'm doing 32 in a 30 and he's so close his headlights don't show in my mirror. I gradually slowed to about 20 but he didn't get the message. I was relieved to see the open road and 60 limit signs and sure enough he passed me... Then hooted, switched on his fog lights and stopped, in the road. I stopped well back. After a while he drive on, slowly, with fog lights on. If I'd managed to get his number I'd have reported him to the police, no question, but I didn't dare get close enough to read it.
You should report your van driver. Where I live they have a scheme for reporting inconsiderate driving, and they welcome any reports. If they receive more than one report for a vehicle they will act on it, even if it's something minor.
 Timmd 22 Nov 2014
In reply to stroppygob:
> Going by the replies here, you should have stopped, got out, given him a reiki massage, offered him counselling for his stress, given him a 50 quid tip, and offered to speed ahead with your hazards on in order to get him to his destination quicker.

> Nobody is an ill-mannered lout these days, they all just need understanding.

> I'm thinking of coming to the UK and setting up a business selling spines and balls to the male population.

The Dalia Lama seems like a peaceful sort, perhaps he needs a spine and balls too?

You're a funny sort...
Post edited at 00:48
In reply to Timmd:

Oh he definitely needs a good kick up the @rse.
 wintertree 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Mr Lopez:

> Move to the side to let them overtake?

Because giving in to bullies makes it all better.
In reply to wintertree:

> Because giving in to bullies makes it all better.

No, Because staying alive and letting the bully get caught out eventually is better than getting whiplash or a punch in the face.

abseil 22 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I sometimes wonder how many injuries and deaths in history have been caused by that idiotic and dangerous behavior, tailgating. (I am a long-time sufferer and PS I've noticed it's usually male drivers driving alone who do it, WHY is that?)

I also wonder what causes it. Late for lunch? Aggression? I think most often, the latter.

Dealing with it, you have 2 choices, [1] be sensible, slow down/ keep left when possible and let them pass, above all keep calm and try to forget it. [2] Be aggressive, speed up/ prevent them passing, even confront them. To me obviously [1] is best. Although one good partial solution would be done by the law - aggressive prosecution of offenders, heavy fines, points.
Post edited at 02:15
 wintertree 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> No, Because staying alive and letting the bully get caught out eventually is better than getting whiplash or a punch in the face.

Indeed, but then the twunt learns that tailgating works, and they're more likely to keep doing it. . The only solution is to have cameras note persistent tailgaters and for them to then be given points and a fine for driving without due care and attention.
Post edited at 08:12
OP mypyrex 22 Nov 2014
In reply to wintertree:

Prior to this incident I'd already been considering installing a dash cam. I'm now also considering a rear camera as well.
 Si_G 22 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I generally just ease off, then boot it.
I have a small, low car, so this happens a lot (esp driving into cities), but it's nippy enough to drop them.

As for being in a rush - how does this legitimise speeding?

The one last night was reading documentation while hugging my bumper. I managed to lose him at some lights by slowing him down then nipping through before they changed.
 tim000 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Seocan:
no , i was driving to work . i didn`t have all the time in the world . i just made sure i left home early enough so i didnt have to drive like a dickhead .
and at what point did i threaten him . i just told him the back off .
Post edited at 10:11
paulcarey 22 Nov 2014
In reply to wintertree:
At the speed awareness course, this is what they recommend.
Seems sensible as you aren't engaging with the nut job driver and life is really too short.
 Dan Arkle 22 Nov 2014
In reply to tim000:

On your first comment you mentioned your size and the panic in his eyes as you blocked the road and came towards him.

Although you may not have used threatening words, you must know you were physically threatening him, and many of us think this is not on.
 tim000 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Dan Arkle:

for all i knew he could have been 6`8 . also dont you think that by driving so close he was using his car to threaten me?
In reply to mypyrex:
If you can't move over, iirc the standard advanced driving advice is to maintain the two second rule as the most important thing. Effectively this means usually slowing down a bit (got to assume increased reaction times) and driving as if the two vehicles are one, or say as if you have a big trailer attached, making careful considered and calculated changes to any of your driving aspects. Maintain progress as much as you can until you get the opportunity to stop to park, turn off the road your on, permit an overtake, or even speed up when conditions permit. (Some professional will be able to correct me if necessary.)

I try to remember that I have no knowledge of why the driver is doing what they are doing, and it could be anything from what could be a reasonable defence if it went to court to being high on drugs or drink, etc. Most cases I surmise are not personal (at least to start with). Do not retaliate or become agressive and that includes inappropriate braking.

Whether you should report the matter depends on how bad you think it was and how it affected you.

If your going the in car camera route, remember that your driving must be whiter than white or you could be prosecuted - evidence is evidence still.

My most concerning tailgating recently was a small Micra car effectively disappeared as it was so close to me in the dark that I could not see her headlights (yes it was a her as I had overtaking the car a mile or so before) and I was doing 70 mph on a motorway. Maybe she had switched her lights off, I don't know. Fortunately I was near an exit and so just took it. She continued on the motorway and her lights were on at least at that stage.

Safety first - it can be dangerous out there.
 deepsoup 22 Nov 2014
In reply to wintertree:
> Because giving in to bullies makes it all better.

The reason for a lot of stupid, agressive and dangerous driving is that there are a lot of people out there who see it all as some kind of adversarial arena. "Bullies" are bad. Your attitude also sucks.
 Skipinder 22 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Allow him to pass, then switch on the blue lights behind the grille and then pull him for various motoring offences
 wintertree 22 Nov 2014
In reply to deepsoup:
> The reason for a lot of stupid, agressive and dangerous driving is that there are a lot of people out there who see it all as some kind of adversarial arena. "Bullies" are bad. Your attitude also sucks.

Your interpretation of my attitude sucks a lot worse
I tend to let tailgaters past as it happens. I just acknowledged on here that doing so rewards and encourages their bullying and dangerous behaviour.

You read what you want into it though.
Post edited at 12:35
 Mr Lopez 22 Nov 2014
In reply to wintertree:

> I tend to let tailgaters past as it happens. I just acknowledged on here that doing so rewards and encourages their bullying and dangerous behaviour.

> You read what you want into it though.

What is the most telling for reading between the lines, is that your pre-edited post said:

> I tend to let tailgaters past as it happens. I just acknowledged on here that doing so doesn't work.

wintertree 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Mr Lopez:
> What is the most telling for reading between the lines, is that your pre-edited post said:

Do you think perhaps I edited it instantly because I realised it wasn't clear and someone could misinterpret it? Letting bullys win doesn't work. The road isn't the place for having it out. Heaven forbid if I should note that the safe, sensible action rewards the bully (doesn't work - for their attitude). You deliberately misinterpret me if it makes you happy. It's the only thread you can cling to in this clear cut situation...
Post edited at 12:53
 Mr Lopez 22 Nov 2014
In reply to wintertree:

> Letting bullys win doesn't work.

There you go again
 wintertree 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Mr Lopez:

> There you go again

Do you disagree? What's your problem? Is the concept that prioritising your safety is more important, even if it encourages the bully? Pick over my language all you want. To the bullying tailgater, they win from their view.

Can you balance two views? To subtle for you?
 1poundSOCKS 22 Nov 2014
In reply to wintertree:

> To subtle for you?

There you go again
 tim000 22 Nov 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> There you go again

there you go again again
 1poundSOCKS 22 Nov 2014
In reply to tim000:

sorry.
 Oli 22 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

You are as much a tw*t as the tailgater.

'Brake testing' is probably getting on for being as dangerous as tailgating itself. Whilst not as severe in a 30 limit, the potential to cause an incident at greater speeds is much higher. If someone is tailgating you and you brake test them, chances are they're not going to have the best observations in the world and could well pile into the back of you. Furthermore, the ripple effect on any traffic behind you has the potential to cause an accident further back or delays.

Don't get me wrong, people who tail gate fail to meet basic driving standards but retaliating is not the best approach. As someone else said, just maintain sufficient gap from the car in front of you so you can decelerate slower in an emergency giving the knob behind you more time to react.

NSFW but quite funny and gives an idea the polices view in 'brake testing'. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M5dL4DPm-DE
 Goucho 22 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
I had a situation a few years ago.

I was driving on the M25 at about 85mph (it was quiet) when white van man appears up my rear end. Being quite happy with my penile dimensions, I pulled over. At that point we hit an incline, and white van mans van isn't up to the task, and he drifts backwards. I carry on until I pull out to overtake a car in front, then pull back over. In my mirror I can see white van man lashed to his steering wheel practicing his gurning, tearing up behind me. He pulls in behind me right up my rear end again, and then starts flashing his lights even though the outside lane is clear.

I should point out at this point, that my car was capable of going considerably faster than even a white van driven by a crack addict rushing for his next fix, but that didn't stop him from driving so close he was almost touching my back bumper. So I put my foot down. 3 seconds later, white van man is a corgi toy in my rear view mirror.

I slowed down again, but he came back for a third try. I knew his van was reaching it's limits, as I could see the blood spurting out of his ears. Up ahead I spotted a police car on the hard shoulder, so I slowed right down to below 70mph. White van man stayed welded to my rear bumper flashing his lights and shaking his fist.

My car's rear spoiler came up automatically at 75mph - a well known feature in police circles, and a bit of a giveaway for speeding - but could also be raised manually. So just before I reached the police car, I raised the rear spoiler. This got the polices attention, and at the same time white van man overtook me. The police, already reckoning I was breaking the speed limit, decided white van man was a better catch, switched on the blue lights, went after him and pulled alongside him pointing to the hard shoulder.

As he was pulling over in front of the police car, I waived at him and gave him a big smile!
Post edited at 15:08
 Skipinder 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Goucho:

Quality!
 tim000 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Oli:

that guy should be a comentator on match of the day
 Skipinder 22 Nov 2014
In reply to tim000:

"Jumpers for goalposts" ?
 Tony the Blade 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Oli:

> NSFW but quite funny and gives an idea the polices view in 'brake testing'. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M5dL4DPm-DE

This is hilarious, although I'm pretty sure the guy is chatting to someone on his phone, the f*ck*ng d*ckh*ad c*nting kn*bend haha
 yeti 22 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

best advice from a white van man is try to ignore him, worrying about the idiot uses up too much ram in yer head

if in traffic try to give yourself more room in front to stop in, let 'em past as soon as you're able

remember what a pain it is filling in a claim form even if you're in the right

I sometimes just stop using the brakes, 2.0 HDI in a berlingo (white van) has ample power and compression

but normally the only ones to tailgate a white van are trucks and the 20something blonde who has no idea

also... some comments about "white van man" are bordering on racist

oh aye, and another thing, I used to do the brakelight flashing thing but I think it just pisses off someone already in a hurry,tailgaters need to learn that you can see better from further back, also tailgating is now a specific offence in the UK (saw it on the telly), so come on traffic cops get 'em nicked
 Tony the Blade 22 Nov 2014
In reply to yeti:

> but normally the only ones to tailgate a white van [...]the 20something blonde who has no idea

> also... some comments about "white van man" are bordering on racist

Irony level set to warp speed haha
 yeti 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Tony the Blade:

I'm not saying they "all" can't find their arse with both hands
 ThunderCat 22 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
I'll usually gradually drop to about 5 mph below the speed limit when it happens. I don't really give a flying piss how busy they are, or how much of a rush they are in - All I'm thinking is that if I have to stop suddenly for a genuine reason and they smash into the back of me, then the slower they are going the better.

If the guy behind isn't leaving enough distance for the speed we're going, I can't change the distance so I will change speed to a more appropriate one.
Post edited at 16:46
 Skol 22 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
Nobody tailgated me today
 tim000 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Skol:

i think you are using a differant meaning of "tailgating"
 Skipinder 22 Nov 2014
In reply to tim000:

I await the "What does it mean..." thread with bated breath.
 Skol 22 Nov 2014
In reply to tim000:

> i think you are using a differant meaning of "tailgating"

My brake lights are on to any form of 'tailgating'.
 Si_G 22 Nov 2014
In reply to ThunderCat:

Having driven into Sheffirld tonight, definitely better to dip mirror, drop back, and ignore.
 Skol 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Lawrence:

> I await the "What does it mean..." thread with bated breath.

Most people are bored with 'swinging' threads. Ill pm you
 Mike Highbury 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Goucho:

> I had a situation a few years ago. ... was driving on the M25 at about 85mph .....My car's rear spoiler came up automatically at 75mph - a well known feature in police circles, and a bit of a giveaway for speeding - but could also be raised manually. So just before I reached the police car, I raised the rear spoiler.

OK, fine, but once up the spoiler stays up up till the speed drops to below about 8kmph, no?
 wintertree 22 Nov 2014
In reply to SiGregory:

> Having driven into Sheffirld tonight, definitely better to dip mirror, drop back, and ignore.

According to some of the views on here it's all your fault that there are aggressive and dangerous drivers out there...

Your post reminded me of another idea; auto-targeting wing mirrors that send the tailgaters headlights back into their face when they're to close. With lasers for anyone below half a second. What's the worst that can happen...
In reply to tim000:
> for all i knew he could have been 6`8 . also dont you think that by driving so close he was using his car to threaten me?

Of course he wasn't!! He was a downtrodden hard working man with stress related problems and a desperate need to get home to feed his dying cat or something.

Don't you know that there is NO behaviour so bad that it will not be excused away by some of the members of UKC. (apart from voting UKIP that is.)
Post edited at 20:28
 goldmember 22 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Make sure there is quite a bit of coming traffic, and gradually slow to a crawl
 wintertree 22 Nov 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> Of course he wasn't!! He was a downtrodden hard working man with stress related problems and a desperate need to get home to feed his dying cat or something.

You missed the bit where his anger and stress were entirely due to other people driving normally and safely and with consideration for others and merely contemplating the fact that whilst they're going to let him past when it's safe, it's a shame that in doing so they reward his dangerous driving. My golly how the attitude of us proles stinks, we should welcome him grinding us down on the roads...
Post edited at 20:36
 Goucho 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Mike Highbury:

> OK, fine, but once up the spoiler stays up up till the speed drops to below about 8kmph, no?

It goes down automatically again once the speed drops below around 55mph, but you can also adjust it manually. But then again, engine temperature effects it also, as the rear spoiler will also open to assist cooling when it gets very hot - I'm on my fourth, and I've noticed my current one open automatically at speeds as low as 50 mph sometimes in really hot summer temperatures where we are - never been a problem in the UK though
KevinD 23 Nov 2014
In reply to wintertree:
> What's the worst that can happen...

Go for caltrops instead.
In reply to wintertree:

> You missed the bit where his anger and stress were entirely due to other people driving normally and safely and with consideration for others and merely contemplating the fact that whilst they're going to let him past when it's safe, it's a shame that in doing so they reward his dangerous driving. My golly how the attitude of us proles stinks, we should welcome him grinding us down on the roads...

Agreed. I mean really we should all just take public transport to our destinations, so that the roads can be clear for downtrodden, hard-working men with stress related problems, and desperate needs to get home to feed their dying cat. Damn we should give them bigger an better vans to assert their rights to drive as they see fit. We should be glad they imperil us and our families, it's for our own good isn't?
 BnB 23 Nov 2014
In reply to Goucho:

> I'm on my fourth

I just parted company my fourth. They're addictive aren't they? But the modern ones have lost that unique feel.
abseil 23 Nov 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> Agreed. I mean really we should all just take public transport to our destinations, so that the roads can be clear for downtrodden, hard-working men with stress related problems, and desperate needs to get home to feed their dying cat. Damn we should give them bigger an better vans to assert their rights to drive as they see fit. We should be glad they imperil us and our families....

Good post. People who deliberately drive badly/ dangerously/ threateningly are threatening our lives - it's really not funny - I wish they'd stick to dangerous behavior where only they suffered if it goes wrong.
 Mike Highbury 23 Nov 2014
In reply to BnB:

> I just parted company my fourth. They're addictive aren't they? But the modern ones have lost that unique feel.

I'm still analogue.
 BnB 23 Nov 2014
In reply to Mike Highbury:

Lucky chap. I'm terrified by car maintenance so have been limited to boiling a kettle.
 timjones 23 Nov 2014
In reply to abseil:

> Good post. People who deliberately drive badly/ dangerously/ threateningly are threatening our lives - it's really not funny - I wish they'd stick to dangerous behavior where only they suffered if it goes wrong.

It appears that the OP pulled out and had someone on their bumper within 200 yards, they immediately took umbrage and triggered their brake lights before braking a mere 100 yards later. It sounds like two impatient drivers coming together to create a dangerous situation.
abseil 23 Nov 2014
In reply to timjones:

> It appears that the OP pulled out and had someone on their bumper within 200 yards, they immediately took umbrage and triggered their brake lights before braking a mere 100 yards later. It sounds like two impatient drivers coming together to create a dangerous situation.

Yes - absolutely right. But I'm talking more generally, jus about the tailgaters. (I posted above about what I think are the correct actions when we are tailgated - which is different to what the OP stated that he did).
OP mypyrex 23 Nov 2014
In reply to Oli & timjones:
I did not ask for third party opinions of my driving standards or that of others. Nobody on UKC is the world's best driver. We all know that tailgating is wrong and I asked how others dealt with it.
Post edited at 10:22
 timjones 23 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

> I did not ask for third party opinions of my driving standards or that of others. Nobody on UKC is the world's best driver. We all know that tailgating is wrong and I asked how others dealt with it.

Your actions surrounding the incident are relevant.

In the circumstances described I wouldn't be reporting anybody and I wouldn't be debating it on a web forum. It seems unfair to report someone when your own actions contributed to what was a minor and short lived issue.
 Goucho 23 Nov 2014
In reply to BnB:

> I just parted company my fourth. They're addictive aren't they? But the modern ones have lost that unique feel.

My current one is a 2012 4S Cab with electronic steering!!! I have to say - call me a heretic - I actually find it an easier drive than the previous analogue versions - but then I am nearer 60 then 50. It doesn't feedback shimmy as much or get as unsettled by potholes and poor road surfaces, yet it hasn't lost any feel or communication - it's just a more refined form of feedback, but it's still just as sharp and informative and still got that unique and wonderful 911 character.

I've had my full on trouser filling 911 moment in an 88' Turbo, and I wouldn't want to repeat it
 BnB 23 Nov 2014
In reply to Goucho:

Lovely car. I had the 2wd 991 cab. Amazing roof. Wonderfully comfortable relative to the older stuff. The nicest seats of any car I've sat in. But just TOO competent so I was always driving harder than I should just to get my thrills. Was tailgating too often, keeping us on thread

And I hated the steering, though I understand what others like about it. Going cold turkey in a diesel at the moment (quite enjoyable actually).

Goucho 23 Nov 2014
In reply to BnB:
> Lovely car. I had the 2wd 991 cab. Amazing roof. Wonderfully comfortable relative to the older stuff. The nicest seats of any car I've sat in. But just TOO competent so I was always driving harder than I should just to get my thrills. Was tailgating too often, keeping us on thread

It is a fabulous car. Mrs Goucho has an RS6 Avante, and whilst it's a wonderful mile eater on a straight road, get it on bends, and it is utterly lifeless - like driving a stunned moose. In terms of feedback, it's like using a tea towel as a condom
Post edited at 12:42
 BnB 23 Nov 2014
In reply to Goucho:

Mrs B has the instant classic Subaru Legacy spec B which corners rather well alongside its other virtues, which include a very practical tailgate
 Mooncat 23 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I had one a few weeks back phoned up to report him and it turned out it was the boss and I got a mouthful of abuse. He was a self employed plumber who had a 24 hour emergency service. I call him 3/4 Times a week to see if he's reconsidered his attitude to tailgating. Going by how grumpy he gets I think he needs more sleep than me.
OP mypyrex 23 Nov 2014
In reply to Mooncat:

> I call him 3/4 Times a week to see if he's reconsidered his attitude to tailgating. Going by how grumpy he gets I think he needs more sleep than me.
But have you got your job back?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...