UKC

How dead are my coats?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 22 Nov 2014
Just washed two coats in the washer using pure soap flakes. A blue Montaine primaloft jobbie and red Marmot, one layer, waterproof shell.

No biggie there.

That was till I walked into the kitchen and saw floods of pink soap bubbles poring out of the soap-dispenser and onto the kitchen floor. Inside was awash with pink water/bubbles too. At the moment I am trying to drain the.

It was at this point that I realised that the washer settings were set to 90 degrees rather than the 40 as stated on the care labels of both garments. I am hoping that the red/pink water is from a possibly missed sweetie in one of the pockets.

Fook.

At the moment I have drained the washer and put the coats into a 40 degree pre-wash in the hope of opening the door.

How dead are my jackets?

Schoolboy error.
 elsewhere 22 Nov 2014
In reply to The Lemming:
Sounds like you've put hand wash soap in an automattic machine too.
OP The Lemming 22 Nov 2014
In reply to elsewhere:

> Sounds like you've put hand wash soap in an automattic machine too.

Nope, the soap works fine in the washer.

I'm fuessing that the waterproof jacket has melted sufficiently enough to be turned into a waterproof bin-bag with zero breath-ability. But has the Montaine jacket, pertex, survived the ordeal?
In reply to The Lemming:

> But has the Montaine jacket, pertex, survived the ordeal?

Or is it now coated with melted red binbag? Good luck. It sucks when that sort of thing happens.
OP The Lemming 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Bob_the_Builder:

The coats are out and drying off. As for the waterproof jacket, some of the seems are a bit loose but nothing obvious. I'm guessing that the coating which allowed vapour to escape have melded together.

As for the montaine, the pertex has survived quite well. Sadly the same can not be said for the insulating layer which appears to be non-existent.

However on the plus side, it would seem that I have a two-layer pertex windproof.
 sbc_10 22 Nov 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I feel your pain........ suds law.
 d_b 22 Nov 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

That sucks. My guess would be fairly dead, but wear them outside first - you might get lucky.
 marsbar 23 Nov 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Easy solution, build a time machine, go back and change the washing machine settings.
OP The Lemming 23 Nov 2014
In reply to marsbar:

Don't suppose you have Dr Who's phone number?
 The Potato 23 Nov 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I really feel sorry for you tis a beech when that happens, ive tumbled a few thing on the wrong setting before and roasted them.

Still, theres always the for sale forum
 gethin_allen 23 Nov 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Considering what the garments are made of you're highly unlikely to have damaged the materials, the membrane being expanded ptfe and the outer probably nylon. What's more likely is that you've damaged and adhesive used to hold the layers together the the seam tapes in place so you may find the material delaminating and bubbling. There's only one way to find out really.
In reply to The Lemming:
You maybe lucky. How did they turn out when dry?

Last month I washed a TNF hardshell in liquid soap at 30 c gentle wash and it came out with virtually all the membrane in millions of tiny bits sticking everywhere, and most of the taped seams loose. It took five empty and hot washes to get the machine back to a near useable state. The jacket was just fit for the rubbish.

The joys. Reminded me why I like my paramo gear so much .
In reply to marsbar:

I have an even easier solution to washing outdoors jackets... but that would be a confession on my part!
OP The Lemming 23 Nov 2014
In reply to John Stainforth:

You've got me interested now.

d_b 23 Nov 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

50p says the solution is "not washing them".
 marsbar 23 Nov 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

Maybe hosepipe? Or get the wife to do it perhaps?
 d_b 23 Nov 2014
In reply to marsbar:

Very heavy rain.
In reply to davidbeynon:

You've got it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...