UKC

Lidl ski kit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gasmerchant 23 Nov 2014
Anyone tried any? Saw a stash of it last night, and was mildly curious. The helmets were cheap, but German TV rated if that helps. Don't know if I'd trust the outerwear (jackets/salopettes - which are actually just trousers with no bids/braces). I guess the base-layers and gloves would be ok, since they're fairly disposable anyway and difficult to f--- up anyway.

Nothing much on google review search that's conclusive.
 TobyA 23 Nov 2014
In reply to Gasmerchant:

Nothing specific although I've bought my kids super cheap Lidl winter mitts, gloves and jackets before, when we lived in Finland, and they seemed good value for the low cost. Kids wreck gloves and mitts over a winter just playing in the school playground wearing them, so buying fancy ones seemed silly.

You don't see them much in the UK for obvious reasons, but in countries where people ski a lot there are loads of options for cheap ski helmets. If they have the appropriate ratings (and Lidl wouldn't be able to sell them if they didn't) and fit your head, I'm sure they will do the job just fine. In Finland all the big supermarkets, sports shop chains and even the equivalent of Halfords, sold ski helmets for often around or less than €20, so the Lidl ones are unusual if they are around that price. In the UK Decathlon also do very reasonably priced ones.
 PPP 23 Nov 2014
In reply to Gasmerchant:

I bought gloves as a spare pair (though quite bulky, still warm and uses Thinsulate insulation) and goggles for crap weather in winter while walking. Both are okay and I am happy about them. Can't really tell you how they perform, but they are cheap!
In reply to Gasmerchant:

I have Lidl goggles for winter walking, though I have since replaced them with a goggle with a yellow lens. They worked fine. I also used the Lidl summer walking trousers for a number of years for summer and winter climbing. I still use them indoors and sometimes outdoors in summer, and as my bicycle commuting trousers and they aren't looking like anything will fail any time soon. The truth is some of their stuff is functional and robust, impressively good value. Of course some is utter shyte (their shoes for example). If it is cheap its worth a punt, though if you find something you really like good luck finding it again! Decathlon would be the other cheap option.
 Hyphin 23 Nov 2014
In reply to Gasmerchant:

Well worth it, assuming it's still as good as the stuff I bought about 7or8 years ago. Was tempted to buy another pair of their salopettes last year, but felt I couldn't justify as others still work fine. Their laminated fleece (soft shell) bike gloves are great for winter walking and skiing too, if anything the winter weight ones are too warm most of the time. Only felt wet in it on one ridiculous day in Glenshee, wet but still reasonably warm.
 steveliput 24 Nov 2014
In reply to Gasmerchant:

Personally I find cheap outerwear and base layers fine. It's all about many flexible layers for warmth, and you don't need waterproof - it's snow and wind not rain...

Though, I always pay good money for gloves and goggles. Cold fingers are a bad route to go down...

For goggles, you need good and comfortable vision

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...