UKC

KMFF - stuff you enjoyed/ hated?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ablackett 23 Nov 2014
Just got back from Kendal.

Enjoyed
China Jam - some interesting personalities climbing in an interesting place.
Sufferfest II - Honald at his best.
Vally Uprising - well put together history of Yosemite climbing
Holding/Bonnington both talking at the Berghouse session on Saturday morning - an unexpectedly emotional start to my weekend.
Uli Steck - talked well and have some great photos, but didn't mention the everest incident.
Herford - a well put together history of an interesting character.

Didn't like
The Red Bull running in South Africa borefest, 27 minutes which felt like an hour, dull characters, boring interviews, uninspiring landscapes and a not particularly impressive athletic achievement.
Wall of Paine - really dull, focussed on the porridge more than the climbing.

I found it interesting that the outdoor film industry seems to becoming dominated by 2 types of film. Stories of people doing something, and the film follows that story (Megamoon and Sufferfest II), or, corporate logo filled adverts which have lots of pretty shots woven around a vague idea/plot/concept which just turn out confusing for everyone (The Forge/Always above us/the chap cycling in Iceland).
 daniel_c_baron 23 Nov 2014
In reply to ablackett:

Really enjoyed Uli Steck last night, very funny and quite tongue in cheek, accompanied with great footage and pictures.
Johnothan Griffith was brilliant this morning, obviously spent a lot of time planning his talk and it really showed. Beautiful photos as you'd expect and good videos, also very funny.

You mentioned about Uli not going over the "Everest incident" well John Griffith covered it this morning. It sounds like the whole incident affected Uli, John and Simone quite deeply, as you'd expect if you came so close to being lynched and then suffered a great deal of finger pointing by the media.
Uli probably wants to forget it happened, can't blame him really
 Mark Collins 23 Nov 2014
In reply to ablackett:

Enjoyed
Doom Bar in Whetherspoons.
Martin Boysen - great anecdotes like helping Lionel Terray escape an electrical storm in the Alps, and doubling for Clint Eastwood in the Eiger Sanction.
The Castle Inn - doesn't matter what you drink it all tastes good in there.
Martin Moran - incredible bravery to up sticks to the far North West of Scotland and change career from accountant to mountain guide.
Dippers, and leaping fish (not sure what type) attempting to climb the weir on the river Kent.
Ueli Steck - Didn't mind not getting a seat, as lying down at the front was pretty comfy. He didn't seem to notice me dropping off a couple of times either (too many Doom Bars at lunchtime). Footage of him soloing the Peuterey Integral combined with his humorous and humble lecture was excellent.
Greater Spotted Woodpecker in the churchyard - nuff said.
Waterside Wholefood Cafe - Great food and view.
Mumbai Curry.

Didn't like
My mate being held up on the M6, forcing me to travel up to Kendal alone.
Car crash at junction 36 on Friday evening.
Hang over on Saturday morning.
The price of a pint of Fruli in Burgundy's.
No toilet paper in a cubicle I was occupying in the Brewery Arts Centre.
Falling asleep and drooling on myself while sat next to climbing glitterati during Metanoia (too many Doom Bars at lunctime).
 shantaram 23 Nov 2014
In reply to ablackett:

Once again I had a really enjoyable couple of days at the KMF. Of all the films I saw this year I thought the quality was pretty good. There were no real duffers, although as always some of them could have been edited down a bit more. The standouts were:

Valley Uprising - easily the best film I saw. One of Peter Mortimer & Nick Rosen's best, and they've done some good stuff.

Dejame Vivir - Seb Montaz makes a great film and Killian Jornet is just totally mind blowing.

Cailleach - a really simple and touching portrait of an elderly lady born and bred in Harris.

My dislikes were the seating in some of the venues like the Studio, Shakespeare and the school which just get really uncomfortable after a while. Trivial in the scheme of things i know! I also wish the films were not grouped in blocks of activity. As much as I love climbing, 3 hours of climbing movies gets a bit dull. Can't we go back to the old format of a selection of different movie genres in each 3 hour block.
 cas smerdon 24 Nov 2014
In reply to ablackett:

> Just got back from Kendal.

> Enjoyed

> China Jam - some interesting personalities climbing in an interesting place.

> Vally Uprising - well put together history of Yosemite climbing

> Holding/Bonnington both talking at the Berghouse session on Saturday morning - an unexpectedly emotional start to my weekend.

Agree with above. China Jam definitely my favourite film and Berghaus event with Leo and Chris best talk ever. Steve did well to follow them.
Would also add
Arctic Air as a good low profile adventure without all the sponsors and professional filming

ebdon 24 Nov 2014
In reply to cas smerdon:

A second vote for Artic Air a really joyful film that captured what’s great about expeditions for me.
I thought the last film in the Arcterx session on Friday night, Skiing in Greenland, was terrible, or possible I’m just not French enough. Blagging a load of wrist passes for the Rab party was also fun – before finding out it was actually empty and a bit crap – fortunately all the other bars were still open late!
 shantaram 24 Nov 2014
In reply to ebdon:

Unfortunately the acoustics in the malt room where the Rab party is held are totally shocking. I've been to see quite a few live bands and DJs there and I've now stopped going even when it's somebody I want to see as the room just kills good sounds. It's a real shame as the Brewery brings in some good musicians to Cumbria to play.
 Offwidth 24 Nov 2014
In reply to ablackett:
I thought pretty much everything they put on was was really good; films talks, books, the tents. They responded to some key feedback: free event programmes (which of course ran out) and more parallel and overlapping film sessions so those viewing on saturday could actually eat between sessions and still get in one! Annoying bits would include a 1:00am bar closure in the Brewery arts centre on Friday night (I guess a licence issue as money was to be had) and worse still yet another 'saccharine and edelweiss style' massively-overlong, euro epic which matched the worst I've ever seen there (Stelvio, at 70 minutes, is like those local tourist information films you regret sitting down for... after only a minute): why-oh-why-oh-why do the film organisers think that such films will be enjoyed by more than a small minority (if they must include them at least stick them at the end of the session not in the middle; so a really nice collection of films in Pot Luck end up feeling like an overall bad luck).

I still think the festival would benefit from a bit more to encourage the younger and less well off in some way, with more cheaper or better still free fringe style events (like the BMC/Alpine Club expedition talks)... still, the 10k run, the Marmot tent, the ability to camp, and a few other bits do help keep the brakes on it running away to an exclusive, posh, middle-aged beard 'n gortex fest.
Post edited at 14:45
 Mr Fuller 25 Nov 2014
In reply to ablackett:

I saw Jonathan Griffith and Ueli Steck speak. Both were absolutely brilliant. The atmosphere in the venues was great.

The things I didn't like are mostly related to logistics: 1) a complete lack of signage. If you have never been or don't know Kendal then you are in for a rough time working out where the venues are. This is compounded by Kendal's one-way system. The campsite was a field with no signs either - finding that in the dark was a pain. 2) The campsite had no access to drinking water late at night or early morning. I'd thought that was a given for £9 a night. 3) The assumption that you will drive a car to the event, and the event was set up with this in mind. While it's true that most people will drive, it's something 'outdoor' events in the UK really need to think about: equivalent events in Germany and Switzerland that I've been to cater much more for public transport and non-car travel with free event shuttle buses, coach travel from major population hubs, loads of bike parking, etc.. 4) More information about what was going on at any one time. We spent Saturday evening in a grotty local pub, unaware that in the Brewery Arts centre there were loads of bars.

All-in-all, an excellent event with good atmosphere and superb line-up, but better signs and catering for non-car users would be a big help.
 freemanTom 25 Nov 2014
In reply to ablackett:

My highlight was Andy Kirkpatrick asking Hazel Findlay how you go to the toilet on a big wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...