UKC

Selling a House - Time Wasters

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 23 Nov 2014
My brother in law has got his house on the market. It's been on about six months but about three times in as many months the agents have advised him of viewers coming only to find that they do not turn up.

OK, two of them did phone the agent the day before the scheduled viewing to cancel but it's very disheartening for him, not to say inconsiderate.

Anyone else had this and did you find a solution?
Removed User 23 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

am selling myself at the moment-not had anything so inconsiderate. Maybe add/get another agent?
OP mypyrex 23 Nov 2014
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

> am selling myself at the moment-not had anything so inconsiderate. Maybe add/get another agent?

Don't know that it's altogether the fault of the agent.
In reply to mypyrex:

If they are cancelling in that timespan it sounds like they have liked the online / agent's details but may be put off having driven past the property.

Perhaps think about whether there's anything that could be done to improve this? Tidy the garden, mend a broken fence, lick of paint on the door etc.

Alternatively if there is a genuine location issue (house next to a pub etc.) maybe the agent could be more honest in the details about this (though that might just mean less interest in the first place).
 wbo 23 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex: so in 6 months 2 people have phoned in to cancel, and one has failed to turn up.? Out of how many.

I am tempted to say tough luck, but honestly one in six months, and it's disheartening? Lord have mercy on this poor suffering man

Kimono 23 Nov 2014
In reply to wbo:

disheartening is when you give your tenants notice as you have received a good offer....

....and then they pull out
 Trangia 23 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

> > OK, two of them did phone the agent the day before the scheduled viewing to cancel but it's very disheartening for him, not to say inconsiderate.

Inconsiderate? Would he rather they went through the charade of pretending to view when they had already decided it wasn't the house for them? I think it's very honest of them to tell the agent in advance.

> Anyone else had this and did you find a solution?

Solution? It's business transaction for goodness sake. People change their minds! Those who cry off in advance are not time wasters they are being honest with you. The time wasters are those who just don't turn up - that's rude.

And yes, I've had it lots of times. No point in getting wound up about it.

You only need one buyer and that's the person who likes and wants the house. The rest are irrelevant.

Lusk 23 Nov 2014
In reply to wbo:

> so in 6 months 2 people have phoned in to cancel, and one has failed to turn up.? Out of how many.

> I am tempted to say tough luck, but honestly one in six months, and it's disheartening? Lord have mercy on this poor suffering man

More to the point, how many viewings has the BiL had?

If it's quite a few, the house is a wreck or over priced.
 JimmAwelon 23 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
We had no cancellations but those that did turn up were mostly timewasters. This was annoying when you have been rushing around like a nutter tidying up.

As I opened the front door to one set of buyers to reveal a hallway and the bottom of the stairs, "Oh we are looking for a bungalow"
I didn't say much but I'd have thought that the presence of the upstairs windows in the photograph would have given away the fact that it was a two story house!

We had lots of these sort of muppets until finally one day with one viewing it just clicked. It is infuriating but you just have to be patient.
 wintertree 23 Nov 2014
In reply to JimmAwelon:

> As I opened the front door to one set of buyers to reveal a hallway and the bottom of the stairs, "Oh we are looking for a bungalow" I didn't say much but I'd have thought that the presence of the upstairs windows in the photograph would have given away the fact that it was a two story house!

Don't underestimate the ability of estate agents to push buyers into viewing properties despite (a) the buyers clearly stated requirements and (b) the vendors explicit and detailed description of the property and (c) the blindingly obvious gaping chasm between (a) and (b). I know cases where this has happened. You'd hope the buyers would check every recommendation of the EA as a matter of course, but perhaps some of them have unrealistic expectations...
Post edited at 19:44
OP mypyrex 23 Nov 2014
In reply to wbo:

> Out of how many.

Four - Not good as far as I'm concerned. If that one viewer who did turn up had been the only one to have shown interest then I might almost agree with you but the others have shown themselves to be inconsiderate tossers especially when you consider that they did not apparently give particularly believable excuses ("oh something's cropped up")
 Rob Exile Ward 23 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

How much better it would have been if they'd said the truth: 'I'm sorry, we drove past your place and it looked a dump, we couldn't possibly imagine how anyone in their right mind could possibly think it was worth the money you were asking. And having seen the colour you chose for the front door, we just couldn't risk ruining our day by seeing more evidence of just how poor some people's sense of taste is.'
 Dax H 23 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

> Four - Not good as far as I'm concerned.

4 in 6 months doesn't sound like many.
It could be the price or the listing that is putting people off. It's time to take a honest look at the listing and price. Maybe talk to another agent and tell them it's only had 4 views.

Trangia 23 Nov 2014
In reply to wintertree:

> Don't underestimate the ability of estate agents to push buyers into viewing properties despite (a) the buyers clearly stated requirements and (b) the vendors explicit and detailed description of the property and (c) the blindingly obvious gaping chasm between (a) and (b). I know cases where this has happened.

This is because a very high percentage of buyers don't really know what they want. It's quite common for a buyer who tells the EA that he/she is looking for a 3 bedroom house up to £200,000 to in the end buy a 2 bedroom bungalow for £250,000!

EA's know this.
 gethin_allen 23 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
When looking to buy somewhere I found the estate agents would push me to view all manner of crap that was totally opposite to the specifications I gave them. I had a few viewings set up that when I researched them at home I could clearly see were not worth my time. Things like the houses being outside my desired area, on main roads, directly on the pavement (rather than with some front garden, above my price range etc.

Perhaps this is some explanation.
Post edited at 21:19
 gethin_allen 23 Nov 2014
In reply to Trangia:

> This is because a very high percentage of buyers don't really know what they want. It's quite common for a buyer who tells the EA that he/she is looking for a 3 bedroom house up to £200,000 to in the end buy a 2 bedroom bungalow for £250,000!

Really!
Is it that easy to extend a mortgage by £50,000 just like that?

From my experience it's more that the estate agents just want to show the vendor that they have done something by having people around to view, when in reality there's no chance of them getting a sale.
 Trangia 23 Nov 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

Yes, really.

It happens time and time again, a lot of people buy very different properties from what they originally state. And many eventually exceed their original budget because in reality they just can't get what they want for what they hope to spend.

gethin_allen 23 Nov 2014
In reply to Trangia:

I can understand that some people change their ideas a bit but £50k more on an original budget of £200k I very much doubt it. On a £500k property in London maybe but not in the real world.
 Trangia 23 Nov 2014

In the real world yes. I used £50,000 and £200,000 for figurative purposes, it could have been £10,000 or £50,000 depending on the property and the price. I have had personal experience of property transactions involving this sort of differential.

The point I was making is that people tend to pay more, sometimes considerably more, than they originally intend for the reason I gave, and EA's know this.
 Cheese Monkey 24 Nov 2014
In reply to Trangia:

I just spent 20k less than budget. Agents showed us plenty that were over budget which was stupid as we couldn't afford them. People that can magically conjure up 10s of thousands of pounds are few and far between.
Removed User 24 Nov 2014

would think in the real world (which includes London) everyone knows what their absolute top whack is, surely?
 timjones 24 Nov 2014
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

> would think in the real world (which includes London) everyone knows what their absolute top whack is, surely?

There's a huge difference between knowing your top when and being dumb enough to disclose it to the person you are negotiating with!
 Trangia 24 Nov 2014
In reply to timjones:

Spot on.
 ByEek 24 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Yep been there done that. Rushed home from holiday once in order to tidy up only for a no show.
In reply to mypyrex:

Stick the zoopla/ rightmove link up here and we can all critique it
 Bruce Hooker 24 Nov 2014

> I can understand that some people change their ideas a bit but £50k more on an original budget of £200k I very much doubt it. On a £500k property in London maybe but not in the real world.

We just bought a house that was even more expensive than this difference, just liked the place and the area. Let's face it you can't really have in mind all the sort of houses that exist, the locations, views, whatever. Not everybody has a fixed budget.

In reply to the OP.

As Trangia says you are a merchant trying to sell some goods, if you want to sell them you can't really complain about the potential customers! On the other hand you could complain about the agent not filtering them well enough do what we did, give the agent a set of keys and let him suffer from people who don't turn up - it's the main reason I can see for selling through an agent... No point in buying a dog and barking yourself.
 goose299 24 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Gotta admit when we were looking, we went past a house a few hours before our viewing.
It was in a rough area (which we hadn't realised) and was a dump.
We called to cancel, the estate agent tried to make us feel bad but at the end of the day, why waste our time and theirs for a house we wouldn't think about again
 goose299 24 Nov 2014
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Yeh, I'd go with that.
I've studied rightmove that much over the past few months that I can critique with the best of them
OP mypyrex 24 Nov 2014
In reply to goose299:

> Gotta admit when we were looking, we went past a house a few hours before our viewing.

> It was in a rough area (which we hadn't realised) and was a dump.

Surely the time to do that is BEFORE asking for a viewing.
 goose299 24 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
With the amount we looked at, we'd be forever driving around looking at the outside of houses
OP mypyrex 24 Nov 2014
In reply to goose299:

> With the amount we looked at, we'd be forever driving around looking at the outside of houses

Sorry, your problem; you should not be inconveniencing the vendor. I have sold and bought properties and I would not ask for a viewing and then cancel at the last minute or not turn up at all.
 Babika 24 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Whoever said buying and selling houses is up there in the top 3 stressful experiences of life was right.

My approach FWIW is
- assume it will take forever
- assume everybody except you will lie
- don't look for somewhere to buy until you've sold
- expect to pay more and get less.......

you get my drift

If you approach it all with the right mindset you're rarely disappointed, although often frazzled, and you will eventually look back on it and think "that went better than expected".

Oh, and do your own conveyancing. Best tip ever.
 MG 24 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
> Sorry, your problem; you should not be inconveniencing the vendor.

No, it's not his problem at all, it's the vendor's - as your BoL is discovering! Making an appointment with no intention of viewing is one thing, changing your mind quite another. Selling houses is a pain and inconvenient but you just have to do it. In any case, surely it's better not to waste a vendor's time pretending to be interested when viewing?
Post edited at 11:35
OP mypyrex 24 Nov 2014
In reply to Babika:

> Whoever said buying and selling houses is up there in the top 3 stressful experiences of life was right.

> My approach FWIW is

> - assume it will take forever

> - assume everybody except you will lie

> - don't look for somewhere to buy until you've sold

> - expect to pay more and get less.......

> you get my drift

> If you approach it all with the right mindset you're rarely disappointed, although often frazzled, and you will eventually look back on it and think "that went better than expected".

Agreed

> Oh, and do your own conveyancing. Best tip ever.
Ironically brother-in-law's late wife WAS a conveyancer.
 goose299 24 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Not really my problem, doesn't inconveniance me at all
Least I called. I could be a complete git and not turn up and not call either

Surely everyone who's sold a house has dealt with no shows. It's just life
In reply to mypyrex:
Just relax, and ignore.

I preferred those that cancelled or just did not turn up. Better that than the ones who had no real intention of buying including for example which I've had 1. their hobby was viewing houses, 2. looking for decoration tips and inspiration house layout etc, 3. nearby residents who just wanted to see what improvements or not had been done.

Have you considered that there maybe some important reasons for late cancellation or failing to turn up? Things happen at short notice that can make a viewing very low priority even for some serious potential buyers. Sometimes the reason would be trivial to others so nothing is said and no-shows happen.

wbo 24 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex: 4 in 6 months is farcical! Come on - it's going to take years. Whats wrong with it?

Last time i bought properly i saw 12 in a week. 4 In a day would reasonable.

Removed User 25 Nov 2014
In reply to timjones:

who said anything about telling all and sundry what that figure would be? read the post before calling me dumb, please.
 The New NickB 25 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Sometimes it works the other way around. My sister bought a flat in Manchester City Centre recently, cash purchase, no chain and wanted to buy quickly so could be in it in time to start a new job.

She would line up half a dozen viewing for a Saturday and head down from Lancaster. Every time the agents rang whilst she was travelling to say that half the flats had been sold that morning, so could not be viewed.
 BazVee 25 Nov 2014
In reply to wbo:

> 4 in 6 months is farcical! Come on - it's going to take years. Whats wrong with it?

Agreed!!!

Unless this is a top end property 4 viewings in 6 months seems to be a very poor hit rate, I would be on the agents back asking for feed back from those people who actually viewed and rightmove stats ... I assume it is on Rightmove or other property website.

Whilst a little while since I did any agency (commercial property) work the agent should be able to give some basis stats how many people have viewed the details on line etc how many have made further enquiries that sort of stuff .... You also need to make sure it is in the correct right move price range because say if you put it on for £505k and its really a £450k house then you might be lucky to get people look at it as when they search £400k to £500k its not going to show.

Sounds like it is overpriced to me or ********** . Don't think I would have waited so long to change my agent.

As for the original question you can't, but I have never waited or been in to show people round that is what the agents paid to do, this is why you want an agent who deals with your property from start to finish rather than someone who passes it onto the office junior or worse still the Saturday girl to do viewings. Nothing against the Saturday girl but she is unlikely to know enough to "sell" your property and after all the agent is supposed to be your salesman. To be quite honest they (the decent agent) are going to have a better dialogue with the person they are showing round if you are out of the way. Lazy agents will try and get you to sell your house and still pocket their fee.

Looking at properties without actually going ... isn't that what street view was invented for!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...