UKC

Crowdfunding Cairngorm MRT film

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Glen Travis is currently in production with a short documentary about the Cairngorm Mountain Rescue Team. So far he's had support from the BMC and the John Muir Trust and is now raising funds through a crowd-funding campaign which ends on 26th November. He has less than £2000 to raise so you really can make a difference!

http://www.ideastap.com/crowdfunding/project/the-happy-warriors
 ScraggyGoat 25 Nov 2014
In reply to Stephen Reid - Needle Sports:

from thier website

'In the coming years the increased privatization of Search and Rescue means that a paid force threatens volunteer rescuers and their teams. This change will put pressure on those who need assistance in the mountains by adding the fear of paying for their rescue. Our film will give a voice to the rescuers themselves who will be affected by this change.'

have I missed something?

In reply to ScraggyGoat:

I hadn't noticed that and like you I haven't a clue what they are talking about. I only posted this as I have a couple of friends in the CMRT.
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

I think I understand what he's saying - but perhaps I'm actually missing the point you're making!

SAR/MRT in Britain have a proud tradition of volunteering and of peer-rescue - climbers rescuing climbers - without payment or judgment. This is increasingly threatened by privatisation, such as the helicopter handovers, and cost-cutting, as in the MCA (coastguard volunteer CRTs). The current trajectories, if continued, may lead to an insurance-backed system of paid rescue like those already operating on the Continent.

This film appears to aim to give those currently operating voluntary rescue teams a voice. At the moment, there's a real risk that when the time comes, nobody will bother to actually ask whether the current system is broken - and thus even in need of fixing.

I reckon.

Martin

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...