UKC

Hooray for oil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Babika 24 Nov 2014

Living where there is no gas supply (i.e. slap bang in the centre of the country between Birmingham and Leicester) can be a bit of pain sometimes - oil runs out at inconvenient times, you can't get those pesky dual fuel discounts, you have an oil tank decorating the garden etc.

But my re-fill today was at 42p a litre, the lowest rate for over 4 years and its suddenly a joy to get instant results from the drop in oil prices rather than wait for the energy companies to um and aah and maybe freeze their prices if you spend 6 weeks and a lot of hassle changing companies.

Hooray for once.
Post edited at 12:56
 Philip 24 Nov 2014
It's hardly instant, you've been using oil at the old price for how ever many months as it's fallen.

I am also off-gas and I made the decision to not install oil when we bought our new place. Short term it's fallen, but that won't continue, and if you look at the underlying price of oil per barrel the cost of heating oil now is more than the last time it was that low.
 d_b 24 Nov 2014
In reply to Babika:

You buy oil? I just take the old boat out and render down a whale when I run out.
 Timmd 24 Nov 2014
In reply to Philip:
> It's hardly instant, you've been using oil at the old price for how ever many months as it's fallen.

It would depend on how often she refills I suppose?

Compared to the change in gas prices only filtering through to the consumer if they put enough time and effort into looking for the best price, it's 'pretty instant'.
Post edited at 17:49
OP Babika 24 Nov 2014
In reply to Philip:

> Short term it's fallen, but that won't continue,

ooh! Are you an oracle? Have we reached the low point yet?
When are electricity and gas prices going to fall by the 16% reduction I've seen on my heating oil price since April this year?

Bad news you made the wrong decision but its not often that a utility consumer gets some good news from world commodity price changes and/or market pressures
moffatross 25 Nov 2014
In reply to Babika: >"my re-fill today was at 42p a litre"<

The Scottish 5 pence per litre fuel premium is fairly well known but just to reaffirm it, our order of 500 litres today was @ £0.47. It's obviously not England's oil ! :-P
Jim C 25 Nov 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:
> (In reply to Babika)
>
> You buy oil? I just take the old boat out and render down a whale when I run out.

I wonder if the wife would take offence if I paid for her to have lipposuction and asked for the fat back ?
(Only kidding dearest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...