UKC

COMPETITION - Win a Goal Zero Rock Out 2 Portable Speaker

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 24 Nov 2014
Goal Zero Rock Out 2 Portable Speaker, 3 kbAmped up sound, external controls, and weather resistant for excursions and impromptu dance parties. The Rock Out 2 Portable Speaker amplifies tunes from your MP3, phone or laptop for over 20 hours without draining battery power from your device. Compatible with any device that uses an audio output jack. Zip up storage compartment to safely store your device and keep it protected.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=6877
 Aigen 24 Nov 2014
In reply to UKC Articles:

If I ever hear anyone playing music at a crag I will ask them to turn it off.
 simes303 24 Nov 2014
In reply to Aigen:

Many years ago in Font, we had a rest day with lots of beer, then wandered around the boulders with speakers and Acid Techno playing loud. We got some dirty looks, but it seemed funny at the time.
 simes303 24 Nov 2014

Has anyone here tried these speakers?
How do they compare to the minirig?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MINIRIG-MR115-Portable-rechargeable-speaker-Silver-...
 LionSJH 24 Nov 2014

I'm with cyberpunk on this one. I don't go to the great outdoors to listen to music - mine or, even more so, anyone else's.

Goal Zero? More like Own Goal to UKC. Tsk.

[Darn! I really am getting old. That sounded like Disgruntled from Tunbridge Wells].

Keep up the awesomeness!
 The Pylon King 24 Nov 2014

I keep a lump hammer in my pack specially.
 The Pylon King 24 Nov 2014

Are you taking the piss?
 deepstar 24 Nov 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:

> Are you taking the piss?

I'm with Mark on this one, is this some sort of joke?
robapplegate 24 Nov 2014

I always enter the competition (never won yet) but this is one I won't be bothering with.
 Michael Hood 24 Nov 2014
In reply to Aigen: I went past black crag on pike o blisco the other day and someone was playing dark side... It sounded quite nice and relaxed and i didn't find it offensive but maybe that's because I like prog rock even though it wasn't called that in the 70's
 Dogbury 25 Nov 2014

And God created ice axes...
 simes303 25 Nov 2014

There are some grumpy people here aren't there?
 Dogbury 25 Nov 2014
In reply to simes303:

Yup
With items like this it isn't the device, nor the place it is being advertised on that might be a problem, it is the user and what they do with it.

I am sure there are many locations where such a robust rechargeable device would be incredibly useful for music, radio or whatever you wanted to listen to, without having any impact on others. To condemn it just because you instantly imagine that its only use will be booming out tunes at your local crag is a little short sighted.

Alan
 The Pylon King 25 Nov 2014
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> With items like this it isn't the device, nor the place it is being advertised on that might be a problem, it is the user and what they do with it.

A bit like a nuclear warhead.
 BFG 25 Nov 2014

Or a crowbar, or any other tool, pretty much.
 galpinos 25 Nov 2014

For your point - One of these would be pretty handy for the camper van.

Against your point - Use of mobile phones on loudspeaker and with speakers at the crag is on the up. This only encourages such antisocial behaviour.
In reply to galpinos:

> For your point - One of these would be pretty handy for the camper van.

yes perfect

> Against your point - Use of mobile phones on loudspeaker and with speakers at the crag is on the up. This only encourages such antisocial behaviour.

Exactly!!
 goose299 25 Nov 2014

I've entered and hope I win.
Typical miserable ukc

Just because it's a climbing forum, doesn't mean it needs to be used at a crag
 Hat Dude 25 Nov 2014
In reply to goose299:

> I've entered and hope I win.

And me

If i win I can guarantee it won't be used at a crag!
In reply to goose299:

Exactly!
In reply to goose299:

> I've entered and hope I win.

> Typical miserable ukc

> Just because it's a climbing forum, doesn't mean it needs to be used at a crag

pull the other one.
 Jon Stewart 25 Nov 2014
> With items like this it isn't the device, nor the place it is being advertised on that might be a problem, it is...

The way it's being advertised with a picture of someone using it at the crag

> I am sure there are many locations where such a robust rechargeable device would be incredibly useful for music, radio or whatever you wanted to listen to, without having any impact on others. To condemn it just because you instantly imagine that its only use will be booming out tunes at your local crag is a little short sighted.

Or perhaps we're just looking at the picture and thinking - is this, especially your response! - a piss-take?

If you look again at the ad/competition and ask yourself "does this appear to condone or encourage playing music at the crag, a behaviour known by consensus to be maddeningly antisocial (unless it's at Horseshoe Quarry)?" and you still think "no, definitely not", you have a special aptitude for self-deception!
Post edited at 19:22
 Jon Stewart 25 Nov 2014
In reply to Michael Hood:
> I went past black crag on pike o blisco the other day and someone was playing dark side... It sounded quite nice and relaxed and i didn't find it offensive but maybe that's because I like prog rock even though it wasn't called that in the 70's

Sh!t me, I don't like the po-faced, overblown dirge of Keith Floyd or whoever made it at the best of times, but at Black Crag I think it would send me over the edge. Shame that would be only 10m and probably involve mountain rescue so a major inconvenience all round.

As for acidic dreadlock music at Font I think it would be a tough call between attempting multiple murder and just throwing myself under truck on the Cuvier Road.

Please people, don't play music at the crag*. Other people really hate it, and it ruins your day if you have to get into a confrontation with a bunch of people about it.

*Unless your "crag" is Horseshoe Quarry, Baildon Bank, etc.
Post edited at 19:31
 Howard J 25 Nov 2014

It isn't the device itself I object to - in its place I'm sure it is very useful. However to allow it to be advertised on a site like this, and in a way which actually shows it being used in an outdoor environment, is inappropriate. To pretend otherwise is disingenuous. It gives the impression of condoning antisocial and selfish behaviour. I think agreeing to this was an error of judgement.

If people must listen to music when they climb, perhaps a set of wireless headphones would make a better competition prize.

In reply to simes303:

> There are some grumpy people here aren't there?

What, like people against Fracking?
 simes303 26 Nov 2014
Fracking? That's a strange response in a thread about some speakers.

And John Stewart, the Font music was long long ago when we were young and arrogant.
I wouldn't do it now.
Post edited at 07:51
 duchessofmalfi 26 Nov 2014

UKC should be endorsing this - it isn't far off advertising a prepackaged turd to leave at the crags
 ewar woowar 26 Nov 2014
In reply to duchessofmalfi:
> UKC should be endorsing this - it isn't far off advertising a prepackaged turd to leave at the crags

I can do you those if you need some.

Cheap price for a job-lot.

;~))
Post edited at 08:37
 ewar woowar 26 Nov 2014

I don't think music at the crag is a great idea generally.

However, my only experience of this was many years ago at Hodge Close, climbing Stiff Little Fingers when it was still a thin finger crack.

A beautiful warm summer afternoon and someone had parked up on the edge of the quarry and left the doors open, playing music on the stereo.

The music perfectly suited the atmosphere and was to my taste, so I didn't really mind.

I can imagine it (music at the crag) being really annoying 99% of the time though.

I will be entering and am looking forward to my increased odds of winning!

;~))
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> *Unless your "crag" is Horseshoe Quarry, Baildon Bank, etc.

Picture the scene: mid-80s, Minus Ten Wall at Stoney, Bachar Ladder swaying gently in the breeze, muted grunting coming from Tom's cave, old skool boom box playing at full volume but Geraldine only has one tape! Stiff Little Fingers' "Go For It" album plays again and again and again.........

Challenging training regime!
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> The way it's being advertised with a picture of someone using it at the crag

It's someone sat on a beach. If they were sat next to an actual crag I could see your point.

The Pylon King 26 Nov 2014
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

> It's someone sat on a beach. If they were sat next to an actual crag I could see your point.

Only a beach, thats alright then.
 Jon Stewart 26 Nov 2014

When is a crag an "actual crag"?

This is getting rather petty, sorry, but we might expect you'd have anticipated this reaction.
 The Pylon King 26 Nov 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

It'll be the competition to win the Stanage dry tooling kit soon!
I can eat 50 eggs 27 Nov 2014
In reply to Howard J:

I've got a similar bit of kit. It's great for wild camping and bivvys. It's great for around the camp fire, its great in campervans and camping barns and yes, when it's quiet and there's no one else about it's great when doing a spot of bouldering. It seems however that the best thing it does is cause a load of grumpy, old fashioned, "well it wasn't like that in my day" luddites to get their knickers in a twist. So that's a hidden bonus!

Robert Durran 27 Nov 2014
In reply to I can eat 50 eggs:

> It seems however that the best thing it does is cause a load of grumpy, old fashioned, "well it wasn't like that in my day" luddites to get their knickers in a twist.

It was just the same in our day except that the offending items were much bigger and therefore easier to accidentally hit with a rock/frisbee/dropped hex.
I can eat 50 eggs 28 Nov 2014
In reply to Robert Durran:

even with your panties all in a knot?
 The Pylon King 28 Nov 2014
In reply to I can eat 50 eggs:

> It seems however that the best thing it does is cause a load of grumpy, old fashioned, "well it wasn't like that in my day" luddites to get their knickers in a twist. So that's a hidden bonus!

I don't wear knickers, do you?
I can eat 50 eggs 28 Nov 2014

Course I do. Big lace ones. I don't get them all twisted up at the thought of a portable speaker.

Skyfall 01 Dec 2014

I have something very similar which I take on climbing (and other) trips although I wouldn't dream of using it at the crag. You can get a surprisingly big sound out of a small unit and it makes a trip abroad in particular much more entertaining if you like to listen to some music in your downtime.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...