UKC

Recommend winter crags with the highest star quality

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pay Attention 25 Nov 2014
This weekend I went to a crag which has the highest number of stars per 100 feet of cliff that I know of.

It has 34 routes, of which 18 get 3 stars. Total of 68 stars for all the routes. That puts it up there with Creag Meagaidh for number of stars - except it concentrates the quality into a far far smaller area. It's a minute from the car. You can walk from one end to the other in a couple of minutes.

I admit that it looks unsightly, and its name reflects its former use as a dumping ground. Also that I couldn't be bothered to get on any of the routes.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=3826

I'm just wondering which winter crags have a similarly high concentration of starred routes. Great climbing without much walking between routes. Measuring by the number of stars for the width of the cliff, What are your recommendations?
 CacCarnBeag 25 Nov 2014
In reply to Pay attention:

The Cathedral on Lochnagar springs to mind.
 Michael Gordon 25 Nov 2014

With that many stars at White Goods, why go anywhere else?

Actually I'm surprised anything gets stars there. In terms of proper winter venues, the Ben will always come out on top for sheer quantity of quality.
 GarethSL 26 Nov 2014

A quick skim over the number of stars vs number of ascents and the star voting is a surprising give away.

I was always under the impression routes 'became' classics, not start out as them...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...