UKC

Mont blanc off piste

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andrew Holden 25 Nov 2014
Can anyone recommend any good guidebooks for off piste in the mont blanc massif? Preferably in english
craigloon 25 Nov 2014
In reply to Andrew Holden:

Vamos have an off piste guide and a separate ski touring guide, both of which are quite good. Though we did discover some inaccuracies in the descriptions. Best to check against a map!
graham F 26 Nov 2014

There are some good books but the best thing might be this App. Launching soon, looks promising!
http://www.fatmap.com/

rinch 26 Nov 2014
In reply to graham F:

Wow Fatmap looks excellent. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out on this when it gets released. I wonder if the detail will be good enough to resolve some of the "do you think there's a cliff over there?" conversations.

Pete Houghton 26 Nov 2014
In reply to rinch:

The book you need is "Mont Blanc and the Aiguilles Rouges: A Guide For Skiers" by Anselme Baud, but they are incredibly rare and often sell for prices close to a months rent.

On that note, I'm prepared to sell you my spare copy of the same book for a price approaching a month's rent.
 Doug 26 Nov 2014
In reply to Pete Houghton:

I think the French edition is still available, at least Au Vieux Campeur still list it in their catalogue for Euro 28.50
In reply to Doug:

Wow, that's much better value than what I'm offering!
 DaveHK 26 Nov 2014

> The book you need is "Mont Blanc and the Aiguilles Rouges: A Guide For Skiers" by Anselme Baud,

That book has powerful laxative properties. I find it useful if I am constipated.

Beautiful though it is it's not really an off-piste guide. It's more extreme / ski mountaineering. Although I guess that depends on how you define off-piste.

OP Andrew Holden 26 Nov 2014

How much is a months rent pete?
In reply to DaveHK

> Beautiful though it is it's not really an off-piste guide. It's more extreme / ski mountaineering. Although I guess that depends on how you define off-piste.

Thats exactly what im looking for

Ben Briggs 26 Nov 2014

Baud's book is the classic but the topo neige mont blanc guide is just as good if not better and is still in print.

F*#k me pete just looked on amazon. Where do you live mayfair?
In reply to Ben Briggs:
"Baud's book is the classic but the topo neige mont blanc guide is just as good if not better and is still in print."

I was flicking through that the other day, it's definitely going to be a Christmas present for myself. Very pretty book.

"F*#k me pete just looked on amazon. Where do you live mayfair?"

It's crazy, isn't it? Apparently you can get them on a Danish booksellers website for normal price still, I'll see if I can find the link.
And no, not Mayfair, but Cham comes close enough. Anyway, I could never sell it at the price Amazon claims, I'd feel absolutely filthy. So we'll call it 800 yeah, I'll even throw in a free carriage clock.
Post edited at 20:40
 DaveHK 26 Nov 2014

The Baud book has not been out of print that long. I picked one up from face west a few years ago at the RRP.

Might be worth phoning round a few shops to see if they've still got a copy on the shelves.

Thank you all. Very much appreciated. I'm on the hunt now for a nice addition to my bookshelf. Hopefully might bump into one of you on a route someday. Up or down.
Cheers Andy
 ClimberEd 29 Nov 2014

So have I, and I have two copies of it
 Pete Houghton 10 Dec 2014

Evening everyone,

Just thought I'd bump this thread as I have just moved into my new house for the next five months, and I've unpacked my books.

So if anyone is thinking about a lovely book as a Christmas present, I'm open to offers! (but no need to go near the upper triple figures...)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...