UKC

Low altitude slabs in the Peak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BnB 25 Nov 2014
Looking to stay below the damp fog forecast for Thursday and enjoy the friction while keeping limbs out of freezing cracks. Which destinations offer good slabs in the orange (HS to HVS) zone at low altitude? Any recommended routes?
 Tom Valentine 25 Nov 2014
In reply to BnB:

Where does the orange zone classification come from? ( Sorry for being so ignorant)
 Skipinder 25 Nov 2014
In reply to BnB:

Millstone? Froggat?
In reply to Skipinder:

Millstone? That well known slab paradise?
 Skipinder 25 Nov 2014
In reply to BnB:

Well the slab sector...not the rest of the quarry...unless someone has a Kango
In reply to BnB:

Birchen edge might do the trick?
 deepsoup 26 Nov 2014
In reply to Tom Valentine:
> Where does the orange zone classification come from? ( Sorry for being so ignorant)

OP is referring to the colour codes in the Rockfax guides I think.

For sheltered slabs on the Eastern side:
Lawrencefield? (Limited, but there are a couple of quite good routes on the Gingerbread slab)
Yarncliffe? Zapple is (just about) a slab route, but likely to be a bit green and greasy I fear.
Froggatt maybe?

Oh. Dur! Rivelin.
Left Edge is bold, but fab. Fringe Benefit is a wee bit above the grade you're after at (a relatively soft) E1. Or you could possibly chuck a top-rope on the Brush Off.
 Jon Stewart 26 Nov 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

> Oh. Dur! Rivelin.

You said it.
OP BnB 26 Nov 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:
We thought of Rivelin but fear it will be wet tomorrow as it's going to rain all day today and there's no breeze likely to dry off the rock, which in any case is sheltered by the trees, but not so sheltered it'll stay dry!!

Tell me I'm wrong and it'll be a dry grit paradise.
Post edited at 07:33
 GrahamD 26 Nov 2014
In reply to BnB:

Alderly?
 Jon Stewart 26 Nov 2014
In reply to BnB:

It's going to be crap tomorrow. You don't get any drier than Rivelin, except New Mills, and that ain't slabby!
OP BnB 26 Nov 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

It's supposed to be foggy but dry(ish) so I was thinking to keep below the mist and moisture. Rivelin may well be the best choice then
 Offwidth 26 Nov 2014
In reply to BnB:

Rivelin is top for me. Others include: Wharncliffe, Cratcliffe (good plan b bouldering as something is always dry), Amber Valley (choice depending on wind direction), Shining Cliff, Matlock Bank, New Mills, or even wider afield such as Woodhouse Scar (good plan b bouldering again).
OP BnB 26 Nov 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Thanks
 deacondeacon 26 Nov 2014
In reply to BnB:

Wharncliffe. The saviour of eastern grit. Very quick drying, pretty much no seepage, and positive edges if it is a little damp.
Great routes (if a little short) too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...