UKC

National Curriculum - Biology

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TonyB 26 Nov 2014

I know nothing about the school teaching, but am interested in the biology syllabus. Specifically, I would like to know at what stage children learn that multicellular organisms are made up of cells, and when they learn the difference between plant and animal cells. I work at a university and we have the opportunity to do some outreach in local schools. I'm very keen on microscopy and we do a lot on plant roots. It could be inspiring to show children what roots are made of, but I don't know what level would be most suitable. Of course it makes sense to speak with local teachers, but I thought I could get a very general answer on UKC.
 1234None 26 Nov 2014
In reply to TonyB:

I teach in an international school that follows the UK curriculum and we teach those things in year 7. I have just been teaching about plant and animal cells and students have looked at onion cells vs their own cheek cells with microscopes. We take them on a trip to the local uni where they learn about sample prep and electron microscopy,so it sounds like that age group would fit in well with what you are doing. What you're looking to do sounds great. I wish there was more of that sort of thing...the kids at that age are really keen and have natural curiosity...so they'll love it. If you fancy doing it abroad drop me an email!
 katherinec85 26 Nov 2014
In reply to TonyB:

I write revision material for a living, so I may be able to help. It's at Key Stage 3 - they learn about the parts of cells and the differences between plant and animal cells, amongst other stuff. Check out this link - the full syllabus for KS3 science is partway down the page.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-curriculum-in-england-s...

OP TonyB 28 Nov 2014
In reply to katherinec85:

Thank you both for the informative replies and the useful link. It's exactly the sort of information I was looking for.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...