UKC

Chamonix at the end of Feb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ollie B 26 Nov 2014
Ive got a few days off in late feb (18-23) how much can I expect to get done climbing wise then. Or would my time be better spent going to spain?

Ollie
 Pete Houghton 26 Nov 2014
In reply to Ollie B:

Are you after rock or ice or the big stuff up high, or what? For rock, certainly, February is very tricky to predict - two years ago we had a spell of minus twenty down in the valley, and everything was under at least a foot of snow still. But the year before that, we could go cragging in the sunshine for all of January and February.

If it's a really shitty year for snow, you can climb some of the multipitches in the Aiguilles Rouges in February, but it would be a real gamble if you booked a flight now!
OP Ollie B 26 Nov 2014
In reply to Pete Houghton:

Cheers Pete,

Mostly looking at bigger ice/snow/mixed lines but am probably going to head to spain as its more guareenteed and im pretty skint so booking flights nearer the time isnt feasable economically.
 David Rose 27 Nov 2014
In reply to Ollie B:
Conditions in late Feb for ice and mixed routes are usually good. Even in a poor year some routes are almost certain to be climbeable, for example the couloirs on Mt Blanc de Tacul, and some of the climbs in the Argentiere basin. Often in winter there are much longer periods of stable weather, although of course there may also be savage storms. Overall I would say this: you can never be totally sure in advance of anything in the mountains. But I have never failed to get something decent done on a winter trip to Chamonix, whereas in summer I have come home completely empty handed. You will want skis or snowshoes for the approaches. These can be rented.
Post edited at 09:42

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...