UKC

Non-cyclist designs new helmet...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris the Tall 26 Nov 2014
... and wonders why cyclists don't seem to like it

http://road.cc/content/news/137031-smart-hat-designer-puzzled-cyclists%E2%8...
 balmybaldwin 26 Nov 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

It really is a top fashion item isn't it.
 Reach>Talent 26 Nov 2014

Wow, so much wrong with that design! The shape will make for a brilliant lever in the event of a collision, why not just use a ratchet strap to fix a crowbar to your head? I think most people could produce a better concept in an afternoon, why on earth would you publicise that in your name if you ever wanted to attract business?
 Seocan 26 Nov 2014

That looks like it was made to fit Max Headroom, hmmm, so that's what he's been up to?
In reply to Reach>Talent:

> why on earth would you publicise that in your name if you ever wanted to attract business?

Maybe he's hoping for a job designing cycle paths in the UK - he seems to have all the required skills and priorities.

KevinD 26 Nov 2014
In reply to Reach>Talent:

> Wow, so much wrong with that design! The shape will make for a brilliant lever in the event of a collision, why not just use a ratchet strap to fix a crowbar to your head?

I like how the batteries seem positioned to pull the head back.

Good to see his approach though. Why bother asking cyclists whether they like it when you can go to the government and try and force it on them.
 gethin_allen 26 Nov 2014

There are a few features that I'm surprised haven't been designed into modern helmets, some that already have, but so many random other bits.

Eg. You can buy helmets with red LED lights in the rear, but I haven't seen a helmet with a front light. This could be done effectively. A camera fitting better than a GO Pro mount could also be good if designed well. The heads up display has also been done. The Ipod fixing is just daft, why not just bluetooth? windscreen wipers, that's going to weigh loads and use shed loads of battery power
And obviously the general design and the numberplate are just plain daft.
 girlymonkey 26 Nov 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

I bought a light from halfords for a few quid and fitted it to the front of my helmet. Works a treat, I still have ventilation (which this doesn't seem to have), and it cost me less than a fiver.
 Bob 26 Nov 2014
In reply to dissonance:

Wouldn't it be easier to get those driving a tonne or more of metal around on the roads to do so responsibly and with respect for other road users rather than acting as bullies?

Oh, silly me, that's the law already.
 gethin_allen 26 Nov 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

> I bought a light from halfords for a few quid and fitted it to the front of my helmet. Works a treat, I still have ventilation (which this doesn't seem to have), and it cost me less than a fiver.

But if you have a crash and it acts like a GoPro supposedly did on Schumacher's skiing helmet or does something else alarming you could be screwed. If your helmet manufacturer made a nice reasonably priced light that fitted beautifully to the helmet and gave you the confidence that it isn't going to have the above effects would that not be good?
 Neil Williams 26 Nov 2014

Biggest problem with it, given my tendency to overheat, is the complete lack of all-round ventilation.

Neil
 girlymonkey 26 Nov 2014

the light cost a few quid from halfords! It is less solid than the helmet and will smash to smithereens before i need to worry about it impaling in my head!
More often that not, when commuting, I wear my helmet as a way to be visible and well lit, rather than because I feel I want to wear a helmet.

I have an exposure joystick which fits to the top of the helmet with a simple mount and wouldn't be a risk in a crash. Very useful when night riding as frequently you need to look in a differant direction to where the bike is pointing. Often because you and the bike are heading to different places.

I think exposure also do a red light which plugs into the back of it, but for some strange reason they haven't developed the indicators yet.
In reply to girlymonkey:

Hopefully when you look at another road user your helmet light doesn't shine brightly in their face? I've come across (when cycling, mostly) others who do do that, and it's more than passingly annoying. If the bright light is attached to the bike and aligned properly it doesn't dazzle people. Dazzled road users of any kind are not good.

Neil
 girlymonkey 26 Nov 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

it's a small, cheap LED, which makes me visible, but is not at risk of blinding people. Even if you stood infront of it at close distance it will not blind you. It's commuting lights, not mtb lights.
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/accessories/lights-reflectors/halfords-mini...
They are not going to do anyone any harm, but easy to attach to a helmet as a front light. Only mentioned it as someone said a front light on a helmet would be useful!!
In reply to girlymonkey:

Sounds good - only mentioned it as increasing numbers of cyclists seem to think it's clever to dazzle other road users by the use of poorly-aimed, very bright lights. Personally, as a cyclist, I wouldn't want to dazzle the driver of the large lorry coming towards me. That might get me killed.

Neil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...