UKC

ice axes choice???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pj84 26 Nov 2014
have been looking at a types of axes in my price range for this winter.. was wondering what was best.. stubai hornet pair or a pair of dmm cirque's adze and hammer..any advice or alternatives welcome
 climber34neil 26 Nov 2014
In reply to Pj84:

You could have a look at the new singing rock axes that people have talked about on here recently, they should see you through from the start into more technical stuff.
In reply to Pj84:

www.totalaccessonline.co.uk/.../Singing-...

£75.00 ( £62.50 excl VAT) - Singing Rock Bandit Ice Axe (with Hammer) Availability: Low Stock £75.00 ( £62.50 excl ...
In reply to Pj84:

My general advice is that there aren't really any poor technical axes out there and they are all fairly decent. However there is always an exception, and I'd strongly recommend avoiding the Stubai Hornets. They just don't handle nearly as well compared with most other models.

Apart from that, go with what feels comfortable and well balanced in your hand, remembering to try them wearing the gloves you'll climb with.
 wbo 26 Nov 2014
In reply to Pj84:

Dear Mr Engineer - do you have an opinion on the Singing rock tools? I am not in the market for new tools, but am curious
In reply to Pj84:

I used climbing technology fly hooks for a couple of seasons and really liked them, pair for £180 from Joe browns so good value as well
 cragtyke 26 Nov 2014
In reply to Pj84:

have a look at Simond Naja or Anacondas
In reply to wbo:
Haven't had a play with the Singing Rock ones. Simonds axes generally have a nice feel/balance to them but whilst a couple of climbing partners gave used some over the years, I haven't.

Unfortunately I've now been climbing so long that most of the axes I've tried over the years (Vertiges, Pulsars, Aliens, Predators, Tornados, Hurricanes, Takoons, original Hornets, original Anacondas, original Quarks, original Ergos, original Flys, Rebels, Monsters etc.) are no longer in production...

The thing with axes is that different models require a subtly different swing with varying amounts of wrist movement. Some people find it easy to adapt whilst others don't. Especially with the less technical axes this can lead to wildly differing opinions and there is no substitute for getting hands on experience.
 gethin_allen 26 Nov 2014
In reply to Pj84:

I can't give much advice on what you should get but I can repeat what others have said above, don't bother with the hornets, the just don't feel right. I know someone with one and compared to my old simond piranhas they were rubbish. He did manage to improve the feel of the hornet by modifying the pick and bolting a load of weights to the head but even then it's a bit of a botch.

I'd keep an eye on the for sale forum here and you should be able to pick up something used with plenty of life left for ~£100 mark.
 TobyA 27 Nov 2014
 gethin_allen 27 Nov 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I need all the help I can get from my equipment when it comes to climbing of any sort. I've been quite happy with my simond Najia (sp?) axes although I've only climbed easy stuff with them. I do hope to get a bit more done this year if the weather permits.
bricknall 28 Nov 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Hi TobyA, I could be interested in these if adamarkley isn't mate

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...