UKC

re vid wimberry does P Whitacker use clipstick on the lead

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Arty 26 Nov 2014
Just watched the video , Grit dayz is it called. Does Pete Whittacker on Baron Greenback ascent set off with the clipstick, use it on the lead, presumably because the clip to the bolt is not possible and thus leave it in situ?
I'm just interested in different approaches thats all.

ralphio 27 Nov 2014
In reply to timmsy:

As far as I'm aware it was a sling draw with a stick taped to it.
 ericinbristol 27 Nov 2014
In reply to timmsy:

Pete W said this after doing Baron Greenback Direct

"1. Bolt 3 is now spinning on its hanger, so when you try and clip it from a distance it moves and rotates, takes ages to clip and is basically a right pumpy nightmare.
2. The bamboo cane I used on the original has started to be commented as a clipstick. My intention wasn't to use the bamboo cane as a clipstick, or else why would i have used a clipstick half way up the route? I would have just clipped them all from the floor. My intentions were to make a stiff quickdraw. there is a big difference in where your lead rope will end up if you use a massive clipstick or massive stiff quickdraw (from the ground or any point on route). Anyway I decided it was getting complicated and people would end up coming to the crag with big clipsticks, which would take part of the challenge away, physically and mentally. So, I decided to equalize bolts 2 and 3 together, before hand, with a sling that had a loop to clip a quickdraw into on lead. very similar to equalising out some old pegs with some tat for example. I thought this was the best option for a number of reasons:
1. It doesn't make a difference to the difficulty of the original Baron by doing this as you still get the down climb and a massive rest so it doesn't matter how you clip the bolts.
2. Bolts 2 and 3 get the load spread between them if a fall is taken onto them, making the life span of the bolts longer and also the route safer for the climber.
3. All quickdraws can still be placed on lead on both routes. The only small negative is that your final piece of gear is slightly lower.
I thought this way was sensible to stop confusion and preserve the bolts."
http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68840
OP Arty 27 Nov 2014
In reply to ericinbristol:

Thanks Eric, In the video he set off with something dangling from his harness but with the editing suddenly it has disappeared so cheers for clearing it up for me.
In reply to timmsy:

My pleasure. These things are all part of the fascination/obsession.

If you watch the video embedded in this article http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68816 at 1 min 30 second onwards you see him setting up and using the stiffened long draw.
 The Pylon King 27 Nov 2014
In reply to ericinbristol:

I wonder if anyone will take the bolts out and do it like that.
In reply to The Pylon King:

Good question. Considering some of the things that get soloed (e.g, Hold Fast, Hold True), quite possibly one of these days.
 aln 27 Nov 2014

Why take the bolts out? If you don't want to clip them you don't have to.
 Wft 27 Nov 2014
just to be clear, these aid 'bolts' are a few mm into the rock, I think it best to consider them hostile. The green-point ethic of climbing sport routes as trad routes and the associated dialogue that comes with that are not really relevant in this case.

anyway, to get back on point - never mind the bamboo! check out the timber gallows set-up Bransby had set up on the 2nd ascent, genius.
 The Pylon King 27 Nov 2014
In reply to GuyVG:

If they invloved drilling then i guess bolts are bolts.

But bolts you wouldn't want to fall on...
 Franco Cookson 28 Nov 2014
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

Although they have held a fall....

I've not been on either route, but I'd imagine soloing this would be a bit of a step up from Hold Fast, Hold True, judging that they're the same grade and this is quite a bit safer..
 Wft 28 Nov 2014

I'm certain you know what I mean
 The Pylon King 28 Nov 2014
In reply to Franco Cookson:

Go to it!!

> (In reply to DubyaJamesDubya)
>
> Although they have held a fall....
>
> I've not been on either route, but I'd imagine soloing this would be a bit of a step up from Hold Fast, Hold True, judging that they're the same grade and this is quite a bit safer..

Well you'd certainly prefer falling on them to just falling...
 Michael Gordon 28 Nov 2014

>
> I've not been on either route, but I'd imagine soloing this would be a bit of a step up from Hold Fast, Hold True, judging that they're the same grade and this is quite a bit safer..

Definitely. It's a bit of a silly comparison really since one is a slabby wall climb and the other an extremely physical overhanging arete!
 ericinbristol 28 Nov 2014
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Sigh. I was making a more general point about hard things being soloed.
 Graham Hoey 29 Nov 2014
In reply to GuyVG:
> anyway, to get back on point - never mind the bamboo! check out the timber gallows set-up Bransby had set up on the 2nd ascent, genius.

My understanding from people at the crag was the fence post runner was used on an attempt prior to his actual ascent. On the actual 2nd ascent I was told he pre-clipped the bolts from abseil.
Post edited at 20:41

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...