UKC

La Grave ice climbing conditions, clothing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 27 Nov 2014
I'm going to La Grave in early January for a week of ice climbing. What kind of temperatures should I expect and what do people generally wear? I'm experienced with Scottish winter and summer alpine but not euro ice cragging and want to know what experienced types pack.

R
 neilwiltshire 27 Nov 2014
In reply to Roberttaylor:

Iwent in late Feb last year so can't really speak for conditions. But I've always worn the same clothing for Euro ice as for Scottish winter and been fine
 Martin Bennett 27 Nov 2014
In reply to neilwiltshire:

I usually wear thin long underwear with substantial softshell trousers, a good baselayer top with a midlayer and my wonderful Haglofs Viper II hooded stretch softshell jacket. I carry (in sack or hung from harness) my equally wonderful Haglofs Barrier Zone hooded belay jacket in case it gets parky or starts snowing. Seems to work.
 Ron Walker 28 Nov 2014

We've gone there every January for about 15 years and use the same kit we use for Scottish winter climbing, which is a Paramo Aspiro or Velez and Paramo Salopettes. If it's a long walk in, I'll strip off my Life base layer and put a my dry Buffalo pile belay jacket or pile fleece on next to my skin at the start of the route.
I have several Primaloft and down jackets but still find the simple flexibility of under and over layering my Buffalo belay jacket with the Paramo second to none, no matter how cold...!

iksander 28 Nov 2014

Generally weather is colder and more stable; less damp and windy than Scotland - less need for hardshell, more need for a belay layer (jacket and mitts, and warm socks) IMHO.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...