UKC

career advice - changing jobs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 27 Nov 2014
Ive been in my current career for 8 years which took 5 years to train for, however I just cant foresee myself doing this for the next 34 years.

Ive no idea how to go about searching for a new job that wont involve starting from scratch and doing several years in uni/college which I really cant afford with paying a mortgage anyway.

Are there any good companies that offer on the job training for adults these days?

Im in north wales btw.
 Timmd 27 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Could distance learning be an option?
 ByEek 27 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

What will your new career be? Do you know? I would say that the vast majority of jobs can be done on transferable skills. Whether they pay is a different matter.
 The New NickB 27 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:
What do you do now? What qualifications, skills etc do you have?

What are your salary hopes / expectations?
Post edited at 16:10
OP The Potato 27 Nov 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

well if you want specifics - dentist, A levels in sciences, dental degree, salary hopes, not looking for much but 30k would be decent
Im looking for work that I enjoy rather than do for money.
 John Kelly 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

you have a great secure profession there, is it not possible to alter your role in that profession to give you more satisfaction - start own business, move town/country, provide support services for example
 goldmember 28 Nov 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

You could easily work part time in your current role and still earn £30k.

Failing that would you consider teaching dentistry or flogging related products.

rhudson 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Secondary school science teacher. You could train on the job and a P GCE would take a year to complete with a further year as a newly qualified teacher. Science teachers are in high demand I believe. You might want to find out whether you would be eligible for a golden hello. I think there was a fairly large lump sum available.
 Ridge 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

I'm assuming you had an interest in dentistry in the first place, so what changed? I'm not going against changing jobs, (I do it every few years myself), but it's easy to believe the job is the problem when the real issue is elsewhere.
Falung 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

In line with the "volunteering in Africa" thread, I think there is a lot of demand for "travelling" dentists in Asia and Africa. Maybe bugger off and volunteer your expertise and by the time you come back you might have a better idea of what kind of work you want to go in to?
OP The Potato 28 Nov 2014
In reply to Ridge:

oh I definately agree with that, change yourself first and if that fails then change things around you.
Im not an advocate of fleeing to a different country or county to escape your problems as they often follow you somehow.

I am thinking of working part time in this 'profession' and doing something completely different I suppose that would increase job satisfaction by having a break.
 Dauphin 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Often a good way to reevaluate, recalibrate, reorganize and er get some winter sun though, which helps with the dopamine circuits, planning and action. You'll possibly meet some very interesting talented folk, colleagues and locals. Maybe find your mojo and a whole world of undiscovered inspiration. In what sense is this running away from 'problems'?

D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...