UKC

Winter Boot Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Goucho 27 Nov 2014
Off to Cham in a couple of weeks for an extended climbing and skiing holiday.

As I'm getting softer in my old age, I've been pondering on a new pair of boots. Currently have a pair of Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX's (I've had a few Scarpas over the years, and like the fit,) which are great for summer alpine, but thinking of getting a pair of Scarpa Phantom Guides for winter.

Would be interested in the opinion of the knowledgable folk on UKC?

As I said, I do like Scarpa's, but open too suggestions.
 aldo56 27 Nov 2014
In reply to Goucho:

I've no alpine winter excperience but I don't think the Phantom Guides would be much warmer than the Mont Blanc GTX. Maybe worth looking at the Phantom 6000? I suppose it depends what routes your going to get on right enough and if they're multi-day.
 Nick Harvey 27 Nov 2014
I can’t comment about Guides compared to the Mont Blancs, but I have 6000s and couldn’t rate them much higher – i used to suffer terribly with cold feet ice climbing in Nepal Evos. They are a bit chunkier, but there is surprisingly little in it and for a boot where you know (almost all of the time) you’ll have warm feet, it is well worth the trade off.
OP Goucho 27 Nov 2014
In reply to aldo56:

I meant 600's actually.
OP Goucho 27 Nov 2014
In reply to Nick Harvey:

> I can’t comment about Guides compared to the Mont Blancs, but I have 6000s and couldn’t rate them much higher – i used to suffer terribly with cold feet ice climbing in Nepal Evos. They are a bit chunkier, but there is surprisingly little in it and for a boot where you know (almost all of the time) you’ll have warm feet, it is well worth the trade off.

As per another post, I actually meant the 6000s - have heard good things about them, so thanks for another vote in favour

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...