UKC

Nepal during the monsoon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jezzah 28 Nov 2014
Hi,

I'm heading out to Nepal in July next year- what are the overnight temperatures likely to be in the hills- at 3000m staying in a tea house? The last time I was there it was December and decidedly chilly- I'm hoping it wont be as cold as that.

Cheers
Jez
 Damo 28 Nov 2014
In reply to jezzah:

I spent a month or so July-August up in Nar Phu, north of Manang a few years back. We had BC around 5200m and I doubt it got less than -5C at night. Days were mostly drizzly and not really cold at all. So I'd guess a tea house in the hills at 3000m will be significantly warmer.
 sheelba 28 Nov 2014
In reply to jezzah:

I did the Annapurna circuit in the monsoon season. it was an 'experience'. At 3000m I would expect you'd need no more than a blanket or thin sleeping bag. I don't remember it being especially cold even at 4-5 thousand meters. Be aware that mudslides can effect travel plans. It's a nice time to visit for culture though as people have much more time on their hands and their are far fewer foreigners about. However I did only get clear views of the mountains a few days in a month long period and no fully clear views while doing the actual circuit.
 RBK 28 Nov 2014
In reply to jezzah:

Prepare to be leeched lower down!
OP jezzah 28 Nov 2014
In reply to RBK:

well it will be an experience I guess- I'm looking forwards to seeing the paddy fields full, the vibrant colours and range of butterflies, and there not being thousands of tourists around...!
Not got any fixed ideas yet, just want to have fun when we're there.

Cheers
Jez
 tebs 29 Nov 2014
In reply to jezzah:

I've walked a few days in the Annapurna Sanctuary in July and although it was a fantastic experience (largely because no other tourists were there so we had fantastic hospitality from tea house owners) I wouldn't be rushing to repeat it. Quite a lot of type 2 fun. Heavy rain all day every day. It wasn't cold but drying gear was difficult and so it wasn't comfortable. Saw the mountains for about 30 seconds on the bus on the way out. Other than that fully clagged in. Stream crossings became fairly dangerous. Landslide disruption was increasing every day.

The leeches were something else. Oh god. Everytime you stopped you'd see hundreds of them head over heeling at serious speed towards you across the ground like some horrific sci-fi B movie. We didn't stop much. Tea house gardens were dripping with them. The locals all wore wellies or similar. We ended up pouring loads of salt over our shoes. Worked ok. As I say I have fond memories but I certainly wouldn't choose to go in July if I could possibly help it.
abseil 29 Nov 2014
In reply to jezzah:

I've been in the Himalaya right through the monsoon and it gets tricky as others have said, two real problems being landslides closing roads for a while [= delayed buses], and swollen streams. No doubt it depends where you are. Apart from being very wet I had quite a buzz being there though, never seen anything like it, the weather including clouds and rain were something else to say the least.

Sorry to sound a bit negative but that's my [limited] experience. Hope you have a great trip.
molly2202 02 Dec 2014
In reply to jezzah:

Leeches, and other Biting nasties....
 sheelba 02 Dec 2014
In reply to jezzah:

I was a bit confused by all this leech talk, when I did the Annapurna circuit in August I didn't meet a single one. It is somewhat in the rain shadow as I got less rain as well so perhaps a good option.
 Damo 02 Dec 2014
In reply to sheelba:

I saw no leeches when I was there either. We started walking from Bhulbule in July and though the rain fell like a solid mass, there were no leeches. Once up above Chame and near Manang there was less actual rain, but it was still wet and very cloudy. No views at all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...