UKC

Black Friday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ByEek 28 Nov 2014
Could someone explain it to me? What puts one in the mood to queue up all night, have a fight and then spend several hundred on a TV just because it is a bit cheaper than it was yesterday? Do people really buy tvs on a whim? We have a TV and until it breaks will have no need for another. I don't get it.

Buying stuff simply because it is a bargain. Please explain.

<feeling old and grumbly>
In reply to ByEek:

It's another naff American "tradition" we've imported.
 Chris the Tall 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Stuff Black Friday - it's wear your old band t-shirt to work day!
OP ByEek 28 Nov 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

I wouldn't go that far. We used to have the January sales. Then they became Boxing day sales. They will be happening in September before you know it!
In reply to stroppygob:
Yeah , I agree, it's like the crappy high school proms that seam to have taken hold in secondary schools.

Just another reason for kids to be depressed about not getting their dream date say yes.
I thought we were supposed to be putting less pressure on children nowadays.

Anyway rant over

Post edited at 09:36
 pebbles 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

daft isnt it. I know of someone who stayed up past midnight in order to "grab a bargain" she wasnt looking out for anything in particular - just wanted a 'bargain' . basically just another way to nudge people into buying shit they dont really need and hadnt even thought of buying till they saw it in a sale
 Rampikino 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

There's the context that we miss over here - Thanksgiving.

The Americans get a day off on the friday and all have the opportunity to shop, very much like our Boxing Day. That's why it's so popular over there. As we don't have this friday off I guess it will have some effect but not nearly as much as in the states.

I'm having BLACKOUT friday. I'm not buying a thing today.
OP ByEek 28 Nov 2014
In reply to Rampikino:

This is the other thing I dont understand. Black Friday is followed by cyber Monday. Why go through the pain of shopping when you can probably get better deals online this Monday?
In reply to ByEek:

For me, the most bonkers bit is the shops they have decided to spend all night queuing and fighting outside of

Tesco?
Asda?
Netto?

Now, if there was a Black Friday event at Dunhill , Beretta, Jeffrey West and Watches of Switzerland , I might have sacrificed my morning eggs and sent the butler out to St James with a shopping list and a knuckle duster.
 Tall Clare 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Isn't today also 'buy nothing' day?

Me, I'm off out to buy rubber gloves and tennis balls.
 Alan M 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

> Do people really buy tvs on a whim? We have a TV and until it breaks will have no need for another. I don't get it.

> Buying stuff simply because it is a bargain. Please explain.

> <feeling old and grumbly>

it looks like they do my facebook feed is full of people talking about what they have purchased especially TVs.

To be honest I have seen a few decent deals flying around. One guy on facebook is talking about more than 50% off on a 60inch LG smart TV with sound bar he just picked up. If i didnt need to buy a new walk in shower and bathroom suite then i would have got one also but saying that just saved £279 buying what i need compared to when i originally priced it up.

OP ByEek 28 Nov 2014
In reply to Alan M:

But you will still be laughing when you can buy the 60" tv of your dreams at the same price next summer!
 ianstevens 28 Nov 2014
In reply to Rampikino

> I'm having BLACKOUT friday. I'm not buying a thing today.

I was going to do the same. Unfortunately, I need to buy some food. Or have no dinner based on a ideology.
 Mike Stretford 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek: Not complaining.... got £30 of a stereo I was going to buy anyway (reserved online, didn't have to fight anybody).

Alan M 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

> But you will still be laughing when you can buy the 60" tv of your dreams at the same price next summer!

That logic applies to pretty much everything you buy. It all devalues over time and especially as more advanced models turn up. If you applied your logic to the full you would never buy anything as in 6 months time it might be cheaper or the same price.
 Rampikino 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ianstevens:

I should have said that essentials don't count in that!

Tall Clare 28 Nov 2014
In reply to Alan M:

We all fit somewhere on a curve from 'early adopter', like the people who queued for the iPhone 6 on the day of release, to the 'laggard', who's so far behind the curve they get lapped by everyone else - they're likely to want to ensure that the new item/idea/practice really works before they risk it. There are lots of points in between those two. If someone isn't bothered about having the latest stuff then waiting six months - or longer - makes perfect sense, rather than having the latest thing. I tend to be more of a laggard where technology is concerned.
KevinD 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:
Its rather strange.
This guardian article has some interesting quotes.
“I got two coffee makers, two tablets, two TVs and a stereo,” he said. “I couldn’t tell you the prices, but I know they’re bargains.”

So. He is going to be pissed off when he realises he picked them up from the non sale shelf.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/nov/28/black-friday-sales-police-a...
 Alan M 28 Nov 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

I agree with that. I personally fall near the upper middle somewhere in that I have never queued for a new release but when I do buy new technology it is generally the first or second tranche of release for that particular product etc.

Having said that, depending on the technology I keep it for different periods of time. Some times a product I consider now might not be considered this time next year if i didn't buy it now etc. As technology moves on so do I etc.

having said that my black Friday purchasing is done. I am happy with nearly £300 saving on a bathroom suite I was buying anyway

In reply to dissonance:

> Its rather strange.

Some people seem to get caught up in the frenzy and the shops must know how to play the situation, I'm sure it's a well studied phenomenon.

For the rest of us, well, if you are going to buy something in Nov it might be worth holding off for this new addition to our calendar.
In reply to ByEek:
> (In reply to stroppygob)
>
> I wouldn't go that far. We used to have the January sales. Then they became Boxing day sales. They will be happening in September before you know it!

ie Black Friday(s). The shops want to whip up an all-year-round enthusiasm for retail therapy.
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

I did notice that DFS have a sale on. I need a new sofa and can't believe how lucky I have been re timing...what were the chances of that happening?
OP ByEek 28 Nov 2014
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Good point. I note now is also a good time to buy a carpet from Carpet Right!
In reply to ByEek:

Really? F*cking hell, the stars have aligned !...praise be to the gods, we can afford to lavishly appoint the front room at last
Clauso 28 Nov 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> It's another naff American "tradition" we've imported.

Hear, hear!... Bleeding septics. Columbus has an awful lot to answer for.
 Kimono 28 Nov 2014
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

DFS *always* have a sale on
KevinD 28 Nov 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> It's another naff American "tradition" we've imported.

If only the day off got imported as well.
KevinD 28 Nov 2014
In reply to Kimono:

> DFS *always* have a sale on

What? Say it isnt so.
You mean that bargain wasnt actually a bargain?
 Reach>Talent 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

I couldn't be bothered with queueing but Black Friday can be worth a bit of attention if you are sensible about it. I've checked Amazon and a few other retailers websites because I'm looking for some specific headphones and don't fancy paying RRP for them. I know a few people who've managed to make a little cash off these sort of sales by reselling the goods on ebay (like happened with the GoOutdoors 50% off climbing gear sale a couple of years back where half of it was on Fleabay by teatime).
Singles Day in China is another big retail event (11th November) and that is supposed to be a good bargain shopping opportunity, if you ever happen to order stuff from China (maybe a cheap FireMaple stove?).
 JohnnyW 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

The thing that pi**es me off the most is that like Halloween and Proms, it's how the media in particular, (and then by default us) have just started saying it. Normalising it. Adopting it into our vernacular. Appearing to be 'right on' by doing so.

I heard one d**k on the radio this morning say 'well it's the traditional start to Christmas isn't it - Black Friday'.

No it's not.

F**king ridiculous.

Grrrrrrrrr
 JohnnyW 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

And why the f**k is it Black!?

Double grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
In reply to JohnnyW:

> And why the f**k is it Black!?

It's what happens to your eye if you get between a 'retail enthusiast' and the TV they want.
OP ByEek 28 Nov 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:
> And why the f**k is it Black!?

Because it is the event in the tax year that puts many retailers back in the black.

Not sure why we are so het up about Halloween. I did it 30 years ago. The only thing that is new is that amout of associated tat you can buy.
Post edited at 11:54
 j0ntyg 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

All the media emphasis on the fights at these sales makes me wonder if some thickos think that violence is allowed at a Black Friday sale. Or even that they think they are supposed to get rough there. There had been three arrests in Manchester BF sales by 7am this morning, according to the BBC.
 Flinticus 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Thinking of replacing my TV next year.

Its over 10 years old (and wasn't high spec when new) cathode ray tube, non-web connectivity but the sound seems to be going gradually.

It'll be like upgrading a canoe to a starship!
In reply to Mike Stretford:

excellent
 Jimbo C 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Yes, very strange. I think it's a government intervention to try and encourage lots of unnecessary spending in the run up to Christmas. I'm also becoming more and more convinced that the BBC's income is being secretly supplemented by big retail business (anyone else been noticing product placement dressed up as news?). What I don't get is why it's Friday. Surely the people who are getting paid lots of nice cash today are also working hard all day and will be more likely to spend their money at the weekend.
 ajsteele 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:
> (In reply to JohnnyW)
> [...]
>
> Because it is the event in the tax year that puts many retailers back in the black.
>
> Not sure why we are so het up about Halloween. I did it 30 years ago. The only thing that is new is that amout of associated tat you can buy.

Apparantly that's a positive slant that retailers tried to put on the name, the "Black Friday" name actually came from Philadelphia police who called it that because of the exhaust fumes in the city from everyone driving to the shops.
 Hat Dude 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Despite my best intentions not to get involved, I've succumbed to Black Friday and just spent a pound on a roof tile!
 The Lemming 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Wonder when we will all start celebrating Independence Day?

That seems like a jolly holiday in the summer for buying
Barbeque stuff and beer. Surely that is a much more civilised American tradition to import?

The Americans do tend to like this day for some reason.
 Nevis-the-cat 28 Nov 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:
> Me, I'm off out to buy rubber gloves and tennis balls.

Always thought you were a closet Tory.

What is the dress code for this Black Friday of which you speak? I am told by the august publication the Telegraph and Argus that one must attend Asda at 8am in a tiger print onesie. Do these never to be seen again discounts extend to fags and Stella or is it just the necessities of life such as 50 inch plasmas and X box 3's?
Post edited at 14:58
 Chris the Tall 28 Nov 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

> Wonder when we will all start celebrating Independence Day?

I was once asked by one of our American customers if we celebrate Thanksgiving - I said yes, but over here we call it Good Riddance Day. They give thanks that the settlers arrived, we give thanks that they left !
 The Lemming 28 Nov 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Would that quaint tradition be called UKIP Day?
 MG 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Is anyone else reminder of ants when looking at the CCTV footage? With bits of leaf replaced by huge TVs, of course.
 Nevis-the-cat 28 Nov 2014
In reply to MG:

Indeed. Watching the footage on the box in a client office I had to suppress the inner Farage when the phrase "those benefits don't spend themselves" popped into my temporarily right wing head.

I would have gone myself but I had to work and was in the car at 6am on the way to meetings..........

I now feel like Sloper and off to batter myself with a rolled up copy ofthe Guardian.
abseil 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

> Could someone explain it to me? What puts one in the mood to queue up all night, have a fight and then spend several hundred on a TV... > <feeling old and grumbly>

Explain it? I think peoples' feeling that they'll be happy if they buy something, or that the material thing will bring happiness, has a lot to do with it.

You don't look grumbly from your OP, you look very sensible.
KevinD 28 Nov 2014
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:
> Do these never to be seen again discounts extend to fags and Stella or is it just the necessities of life such as 50 inch plasmas and X box 3's?

Even better discounts of fags and stella. Just shout there is 90% off the XBox One (the 3 is so last year) and in the confusion help yourself.
 MG 28 Nov 2014
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

and off to batter myself with a rolled up copy ofthe Guardian.

My first thought was how do you deep fry yourself in paper when I read that. Today is odd.
 Timmd 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:
I'm finding myself wondering what my grandparents would think, my Dad's especially, who were young adults in WW2, and always had to watch their pennies. They were a pretty 'upright and respectable'. Often in a way which could be quite restrictive, with them being the generation which was left behind as it were by the 60's, but I find myself wondering if something's been lost over the years too, to do with dignity and decency, and respect for others.
Post edited at 18:35
In reply to ByEek:

A bargain it is not if you were not looking to buy anything in the first place. People are being manipulated by the retailers who just want your money. It's disgusting behaviour incited by the retailers who could conceivably offer these items at the prices they are today throughout the year.
 Timmd 28 Nov 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
Do these people not have any sense of autonomy, though, surely it's their fault, rather than the retailers?

'Whoo hoo bargains, lets push other people out the way'.

I realise some people will be pretty poor and wanting to make the most of Christmas, and my heart goes out to them.
Post edited at 18:39
In reply to Timmd:

Of course there's blame on the shoppers too but the shoppers wouldn't be there in their droves if it wasn't for the retailers, ergo - they are ultimately to blame and should do more to prevent fights etc from breaking out.
 Timmd 28 Nov 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
Or you could say if it wasn't for the shoppers, the retailers wouldn't do what they do?

I dunno, I'm just not too impressed.
Post edited at 18:57
In reply to Timmd:

Nah, me neither. Its a stupid idea considering we don't even celebrate Thanksgiving over here.

If you were to take away all references to Black friday and look at the reports and images in isolation anyone would think there's an apocalypse coming
 girlymonkey 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

I think the media has a lot to do with it. We have all seen the crazy footage of black friday in the states, and that puts the idea into people's heads that this is normal behaviour for black friday. Normally these people wouldn't act like this around discounts, I would guess, but the suggestion has been put there by the media so suddenly that is the expectation.
In reply to ByEek:

The other day we bought two new sofas, and very nice they are too. We were out at the place we bought them from, “Plush Sofas,” hoping to arrange a suitable delivery time, when I noticed something that made me hit the roof. Since we had ordered and paid for ours, only then had they decided to have a “Two for the price of one,” sale! The B@STARDS!!!

I was hunting for some matches and petrol, just for a mild case of arsonism you understand, when her indoors pointed something out to me. The sofas we had bought for $1100 each, were now retailing at $2300 each, with another coming “gratis”. Or in other words, by buying before the “2 4 1” sales, we had saved $100. How they get away with it I don’t know.
 Dax H 28 Nov 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

By walking the fine line between complying with the law and taking the piss.
They will have had the items for sale at full retain in some spurious shop in outer Mongolia giving them the right to sell them on offer at your local branch.
Lusk 28 Nov 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

"How they get away with it I don’t know."

Because the vast majority of the population are thick!

Good job your lass ain't one of them
In reply to Dax H:
That sounds about right mate.

Dear god, I didn't realise how bad/mad it had got there...

> About 200 shoppers refused to leave a store in Middleton "despite being told stock had all gone"
> Fights broke out between shoppers in Stretford, and a woman suffered "minor injuries" after being hit by a falling television. The store was closed at 00:36 GMT
> A man was arrested in Salford after he threatened to "smash a staff member's face in"
> A woman broke her wrist in a crush, with Greater Manchester Police's deputy chief constable Ian Hopkins describing shoppers' behaviour as "appalling"
> In Wigan, officers were called to reports of "several hundred people trying to enter the store". Police added: "Two men were ejected before control was regained"
> There were reports of fighting in a store in Hattersley, where a man was arrested for a public order offence
> A man was arrested for assault at a store in Green End
> Bicester Village shopping outlet in Oxfordshire had to temporarily close after roads around it became gridlocked by Black Friday shoppers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30241459

In reply to Lusk:

> "How they get away with it I don’t know."

> Because the vast majority of the population are thick!

> Good job your lass ain't one of them

Some would say that by marrying me she directly contradicts you! But you're right of course.
Post edited at 21:15
 Bobling 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Is it time to wheel out the old bread and circuses quote? Though I doubt the bread is discounted.

In contrast, also to do with supermarkets, the dairy industry is in dire straits http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30200732.

It's a f*cking weird world we are living in and I can't help but feel it can't go on like this.
 gethin_allen 28 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:

I was watching the video of people fighting over tv's in Cardiff Tescos and was surprised not to see anyone in their pjs. They normally do so today would be the only appropriate time to do so if they we're there all night.

Like most "sales" they are only good deals if you actually need the stuff the shops are flogging. I considered a tv but couldn't be arsed in the end.
 Trevers 29 Nov 2014
In reply to MG:

> Is anyone else reminder of ants when looking at the CCTV footage? With bits of leaf replaced by huge TVs, of course.

youtube.com/watch?v=WuUqrJZ6S2Y&
In reply to MG:

> Is anyone else reminder of ants when looking at the CCTV footage? With bits of leaf replaced by huge TVs, of course.

Or sheep. I retweeted this wonderful tweet from National Trust campsites this morning. Black Friday in Langdale ...

https://twitter.com/NTLakescamping/status/538366823843237888/photo/1
 Indy 29 Nov 2014
In reply to j0ntyg:

Can't help but feel that retailers orchestrate the shall we say bad behaviour at these sales as a marketing tool.
Dorq 29 Nov 2014
In reply to Jimbo C:

> Yes, very strange. I think it's a government intervention to try and encourage lots of unnecessary spending in the run up to Christmas. I'm also becoming more and more convinced that the BBC's income is being secretly supplemented by big retail business (anyone else been noticing product placement dressed up as news?)[...]

I remembered this comment just now when I saw a link to Amazon's "record sales" for yesterday, on the BBC News front page. Years ago when Amazon first came to the UK, I watched a BBC2 news programme where they interviewed the head honcho in front of a massive corporate logo; it didn't look digital but real, as if they had put up a plastic sign in the studio. I remember thinking that having friends in the BBC must count for something, as the interview dragged on.
 Jimbo C 01 Dec 2014
In reply to Dorq:

It's true I tell thee. There's more today, apparently it's 'Cyber Monday' and there's another logo in the main article photo.
 Timmd 01 Dec 2014
In reply to Indy:

> Can't help but feel that retailers orchestrate the shall we say bad behaviour at these sales as a marketing tool.

A presenter on Radio 4 was asking whether people can lose their sense of decency towards others in search of a bargain. I'm glad there's other people asking about this.
mick taylor 01 Dec 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Was in Tescos later on Friday (to buy gluten free - hate the place generally). Assistant said total chaos, 3 arrests had been made. Best thing of all, the Wigan store was chosen for the Christmas Ad !! Sadly, Tescos arrogance means they ae beyond embarrasement.

From this.......
youtube.com/watch?v=dJYwfEI4Fyo&

To this...........
http://www.itv.com/news/granada/update/2014-11-28/black-friday-chaos-for-sh...
 Phil1919 01 Dec 2014
In reply to ByEek:

I've just been to the recycling centre to see where it all ends up. Mind blowing to think that every town has one. Loads of stuff.
 deepsoup 01 Dec 2014
In reply to Phil1919:
Not related to "Black Friday" (aptly named I think, as it's adoption into UK culture marks a black day for the human spirit) but...

I was (very mildly) shocked to see that apparently "Christmas jumpers" are now a thing.
Not awful jumpers bought (or knitted) as Christmas presents by well-meaning relatives, as they used to be, but deliberately cheesy "ironic" novelty jumpers designed to be bought, worn once and presumably thrown away. Did they appear in the supermarkets for the first time this year or have I just not noticed them before?

I can't quite put my finger on why, but even against the background of the regular seasonal consumption and waste there seems to be something particularly, depressingly decadent about that.
 Neil Williams 01 Dec 2014
In reply to ByEek:

I have absolutely no idea. Though I suppose hunter-gatherer instinct may be kicking in, perhaps?

I've done all my Christmas shopping weeks ago on Amazon. Dead easy. I have no desire to faff about in crowded shops.

Neil
Moley 01 Dec 2014
In reply to ByEek:

I think Black Friday is brilliant, never heard about it before this year.
I think of the times I have watched news reports on worldwide disasters and famines (usually 3rd world countries), when the aid arrives there is a stampede for a few grains of rice or bottle of water. I sit there and "tut,tut" about them not forming an orderly queue etc.

Knock a few £££s off a telly and the Brits put them all to shame, no wonder we conquered the world with our greed. Can't wait to watch again next year.
Dorq 01 Dec 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

> Not awful jumpers bought (or knitted) as Christmas presents by well-meaning relatives, as they used to be, but deliberately cheesy "ironic" novelty jumpers designed to be bought, worn once and presumably thrown away. Did they appear in the supermarkets for the first time this year or have I just not noticed them before?

I got one of those disposable jumpers last year from the family.

My reaction:

youtube.com/watch?v=3VgufM9iLbI&
 SenzuBean 01 Dec 2014
In reply to deepsoup:
I completely agree. It's actually an encouraged practice by many employers now too - having Christmas jumper day, where jumper wearers give £1 to charity, and non-wearers give £2. It might be fine if nobody bought a crappy jumper (everyone gives £2 to charity, that's more or less okay) - but I think most of these jumpers are produced in a sweatshop and arguably buying one causes more harm than the £1 going to charity (why not give the money spent on the jumper to a reputable and accountable charity instead).
Post edited at 18:18
 deepsoup 01 Dec 2014
In reply to Dorq:
I'm going to be using that clip to respond to all sorts of things of facebook from now on.
 deepsoup 01 Dec 2014
In reply to SenzuBean:
I'm sure you're right about the sweatshop thing.
I guess the best possible outcome would be if folk bought a 'proper' Christmas jumper (such as Val Doonican might have worn on the telly) from a Charity shop, and then donate it back to the shop when they're done with it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...