UKC

Senja Winter climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Gordon 28 Nov 2014
Any experiences??? Anybody stayed in the lodge, how did yo get there, ballpark costs, what time of year do you recommend, what did you tink of the climbing, did you take skis as well, car or bus etc etc!?

many thanks for any thoughts.

James
 HeMa 28 Nov 2014
In reply to James Gordon:

nick and harvey were there a few years ago.
 d_b 28 Nov 2014

I haven't climbed in Senja, but have been to Lyngen in winter. I would say it is well worth hiring a car. Buses are pretty good quality, but too thin on the ground to be particularly useful for mountain days out IMHO.
 Nick Harvey 28 Nov 2014
In reply to HeMa:

Nick and Harvey, are in fact the same person! and James came too, which is in fact my middle name, but in this case he was a whole separate person.

The conditions weren't fantastic, and for pure ice I'd say the mainland is better, but I am sure others will disagree. Some info here: http://northnorwayice.blogspot.co.uk/ and on my blog: http://nickonice.blogspot.co.uk/2012_02_01_archive.html (Feb and Mar)

Also Rich Cross goes every year and Alpine Guides have some pics on their blog somewhere.

Yes, stayed in Bent's lodge, nice place and would use again. Very cool dog.

We drove but also spent a week on the mainland. Not sure there is any other option.

Costs, I forget, but cheap it was not. Last time we went to Norge we took a bag of food which saved money and is worth doing.

We went late Feb / early March.

We took snowshoes. Essential (or skiis), no two ways about it.

d_b 28 Nov 2014
In reply to Nick Harvey:
On the food front: Frozen stuff (esp veg) is reasonably cheap, pretty much everything else is expensive.
Post edited at 10:59
 HeMa 28 Nov 2014
In reply to Nick Harvey:

> Nick and Harvey, are in fact the same person! and James came too, which is in fact my middle name, but in this case he was a whole separate person.

My bad .
 vscott 28 Nov 2014

Hi James,
Bardufoss airport is closest, but probably more and cheaper flight options to Tromso.
Car pretty much essential - think there's a rent-a-wreck type option available in Tromso - should come with studded tyres fitted which are also needed.
Lodge is the obvious base and recomended.
Personally managed without skis/snowshoes, but I was there during a low-snow year... so probably a good idea.
Climbing is incredible - gradually more info on specific lines etc. but still very adventurous. Conditions can be pretty variable, but likely stuff worth doing and if it's really thin should be better ice inland. The rock is pretty compact so stuff can be quite bold, decent rack including range of pegs useful for the mixed lines.
Worth taking hill food with you as chocolate bars etc very pricy out there... can be worth the cost of an extra 'sports' bag if a group of you.

As mentioned above - Rich Cross has been out there regularly so worth contacting - drop me an email through forums if any other questions.

cheers

Viv
 Nick Harvey 28 Nov 2014
In reply to vscott: Aye, I should add that my comments about thinking the mainland is better are from a pure ice climbing perspective - if mixed is more your bag, the Senja must be amazing, and I know that's what Rich tends towards.

Dave 28 Nov 2014

Have not climbed there but spent a week skiing there in April this year. You definately need a car to get around, and even with a car its slow going. Being right on the outer W coast Senja is exposed to the full effect of the Atlantic depressions and I think conditions are more variable than in Lyngen or other places further inland, and certainly warmer, so the season is probably shorter. Very spectacular scenery in the NW fjord area though where the lodge is.
 Rich Cross 28 Nov 2014

Hi james, I've spent quite a bit of time over there working in past few years. As mentioned by Viv and co, the ice isn't as spectacular as the big venues on the mainland, but the mixed climbing is good and there are plenty of good ice lines about if that's your thing. check out some of the senja photo albums on our FB page here (trawl past all the ski stuff):

https://www.facebook.com/alpineguidesltd/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

get in touch via FB if you want any help, cheers

Rich
 TobyA 28 Nov 2014
 berna 03 Dec 2014
Hi, jumping on the bandwagon about Lyngen here. I just came back from there yesterday and it was epic despite the thin conditions all around. I had been looking at Senja but was told that it had been too warm and too wet for too long... Lyngen has plenty of lines which makes it such that even if conditions overall are not great you usually get some waterfalls in decent conditions. Furthermore if for any reason water ice does not work there are some epic ridge routes you can do.

On the practical side I flew to tromso direct from London which was quite handy.To get to lyngen you can hop on a short 1.5 hour bus for 75 nok or rent a car and drive (dont remember the price for the ferry). On that point, well worthwhile making sure what the ferry situation looks like for when you land.

Moneywise, I found everything but food and drink not too outrageous.

I know this does not answer your particular query but plenty of people helped me sort my trip out last minute so just paying it forward in case you find any of this useful.

let me know if you end up considering it and want any more info (lodging, food, etc...)
Post edited at 18:20
OP James Gordon 05 Dec 2014
In reply to berna:

Many thanks to everybody!!
 TobyA 05 Dec 2014

Have you seen the guide that just came out? Its free and online - basic and will leave much more adventure than a UK style guide does, but still it will get you started. https://www.dropbox.com/s/42mobwvecb6zd9i/Mini%20Senja%20Climbing%20Guide.p...
OP James Gordon 05 Dec 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Awesome, thank you!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...