UKC

Blair Atholl Beinn Deag,how much quicker by bike?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
duckman 28 Nov 2014
Heading up tomorrow,into the wind and clag it would seem. How far can I get on a bike? and which is the better route for a MTB? Ta.
 kwoods 28 Nov 2014
In reply to duckman:

It's quite easy (and time-saving) to cycle to the end of the track at 835736.
 Tim Davies 28 Nov 2014
In reply to duckman:

I seem to remember getting to about 580 m on my MTB. Only spent about an hour or so on foot. Cycled in from the Blair Atholl end.
 Mike-W-99 28 Nov 2014
In reply to duckman:

Yes, cycle to the bothy. It does limit you to a there and back again to the summit but you can then finish the circuit of the track to make things more interesting.
 Fiona Reid 28 Nov 2014
In reply to prog99:

Leave the bike at the bothy, it takes about an hour of solid slog to get there. However, on the way out you're rolling the whole way. I think my record is 15 mins from leaving the bothy to sitting with a pint in the Atholl Arms
 Flinticus 28 Nov 2014
It's also a nice enough walk!

The terrain is easy and gives your thoughts time to wander. I know the days are short but a head torch on the track would be no problem.

I love the Atholl Arms: so convenient for the train and great for dog owners.
duckman 28 Nov 2014
In reply to Fiona Reid:
Indeed, the thought of walking approx 20k on Landy tracks is not one that is likely to make me spring out of bed tomorrow. Obviously the uphill stretch will also be into the teeth of a gale!
Post edited at 12:47
 Toccata 28 Nov 2014
In reply to duckman:

Cycling up the relatively recently extended track to 848749 via Allt Slanaidh offers slightly more height gain and a lovely roll back down to Blair Atholl. First bit used to be a little technical but I see it is marked as a track now on the 1:50k.

NB not done this for quite a few years now.
 Jim Braid 28 Nov 2014
In reply to duckman:

Agree with Toccata that you can get to 848749 on the bike. An alternative that gives a finer walk is to start from the layby at Calvine and cycle up to Bruar Lodge. This then gives you a fine wee loop taking in the top of Beinn Gharbh on the way round. I've used both ways and the Bruar Lodge route is my own preference.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...