UKC

Buying Ice Axes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 WeeTJ 29 Nov 2014

I'm looking at buying my first set of ice axes.

Ive been browsing around online however understand that you must get ice axes to suit your size.

I found a guide saying if you are under 5ft8 you need an axe between 50 and 60cm
However, i am a measly 5ft0 and wonder if even 50cm axes would be deemed too big.

Any advice on this?
Post edited at 17:52
 Mark Haward 29 Nov 2014
In reply to WeeTJ:

It depends both on your height and intended activity. For more technical climbing shorter axes ( around 50cms ) are usually used whereas for walking / easier ground a longer axe may be preferred. Also, whilst you may be more of a walker now you might get an axe that is suitable for both walking and easy mountaineering that you may get into in the future. If that is a possibility it may be worth getting an axe that, at a later date, you could get a matching hammer for.
For walking one way to check the right length for you is to stand relaxed, with your hands by your sides. A walking ice axe in your hand would normally just touch or nearly touch the ground. My guess is that 50cms will be absolutely fine for you.
 Mountain Llama 29 Nov 2014
In reply to WeeTJ:

Walking axe length, holding it in your hand the spikes should be at the top of your boots.

Climbing axes, there pretty much all 50 cm

HTC Davey
 top cat 29 Nov 2014
In reply to WeeTJ:

Most of my winter climbing has been with 45cm tools {I'm 178cm} but have just switched to 50cm. I reckon 45cm for the OP.
 Phil1919 29 Nov 2014
In reply to WeeTJ:

There is a lovely old Stubaii(?) wooden shafted walking axe for sale in a charity shop in Kendal for £9.99. It would look great on someone's wall.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...