UKC

steam straightening doors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gethin_allen 29 Nov 2014
I've got a bent internal door that's bent out on a corner and I'm trying to work out if I can straighten it. I know it would be easier to just buy a new door but it's over 110 years old and if it's survived that long it seems a shame to scrap it now.

It's a 4 panel door and I think it's just the joints that have warped rather than the actual timber. My idea therefore is to brace it with a bit of 2x4 and then set to the joints with a wallpaper steamer. Following this I'd let everything cool and dry and fill any gaps in the joints with glue and then clamp or even screw them tight if need be.

Anyone know if this has any chance of working?
 Skol 29 Nov 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:
Sounds ripe for failure.
I had a similar problem with an 80yr old door. I got a friendly carpenter to cut off the offending piece and replace it with a sound piece of wood.
 Timmd 29 Nov 2014

If it's only a corner I'd try and find a carpenter who would replace the bent bit if it was me.
 KellyKettle 29 Nov 2014

As above a decent joiner or suitably experienced amateur woodworker should be able to replace the top rail (and possibly the stile it intersects with) to correct the warping.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...