UKC

NEWS: Adam Ondra wins La Sportiva Legends Only 2014

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 30 Nov 2014
Adam Ondra in the La Sportiva Legends Only 2014, 4 kbAdam Ondra has won the 4th edition of La Sportiva Legends Only at Klättercentret in Stockholm, Sweden.
Though it's difficult to compare the always very strong line-ups at this event, this was probably the best ever but in the end no one could really challenge Mr Ondra who completed the all five...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69338
 simes303 30 Nov 2014
In reply to UKC News:

That's the most annoying commentary I've ever heard.
 Rockmonkey1977 30 Nov 2014
In reply to UKC News:

So Jimmy Webb trims his beard and then gets a finger injury. Coincidence, I don't think so...
 Durbs 01 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Minor grumble (again) - can results (i.e. winners) from competitions not be put in the headlines? Was planning to watch this tonight, but I now know who won which massively removes the tension.
 lewiz 01 Dec 2014
In reply to Durbs:

Totally agree here. I was fortunate enough to watch it before I saw the headline but it wouldn't be the first time UKC have spoiled things.
 robin mueller 01 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:
Yes, it would be better if the headline simply said "La Sportiva Legends Only 2014 Results".

Perhaps UKC could adopt this as a policy for comp results? It would make life easier for a lot of people.
Post edited at 13:12
In reply to robin mueller:
That's a good idea, thanks!

And sorry...

//Björn
Post edited at 16:27
 robin mueller 01 Dec 2014
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC:

Thanks for listening Bjorn! Keep up the good work.
 stp 01 Dec 2014
In reply to simes303:

Agreed. The way the commentator yelled the obvious into the microphone just detracted from the whole thing. Dan Finn was by far the best pro climbing commentator for I've heard. He was the most knowledgable and had a great voice. I hope the IFSC consider having him back next year because all the others are rubbish.
 Puppythedog 02 Dec 2014
In reply to stp:

I found, 'he flashed' it a touch iritating. None of the climbers flashed anything. it was an 'After work' competition.
 kwoods 02 Dec 2014
In reply to puppythedog:

> I found, 'he flashed' it a touch iritating. None of the climbers flashed anything. it was an 'After work' competition.

The commentator did actually acknowledge this use of the 'flash' in competitions.
 Durbs 02 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:
Agree about missing Dan from commentating. In fairness though, he's a trained TV presenter who has got into climbing (through commentating?), versus Jonny who I think is the IFSC technical manager and gets asked to commentate... He is a bit shouty, and IMHO tends to focus on the negatives ("They'll be disappointed", "Should've made that", "out of the race") and the obvious a bit too much.

Not sure why Sean and Mathilda couldn't commentate?

Bonus points for juggling show though, he was pretty good.

**edit** Apparently Jonny is a pro commentator.. My bad.
Post edited at 13:43
 Chris Harris 02 Dec 2014
In reply to Durbs:

> **edit** Apparently Jonny is a pro commentator.. My bad.

I believe he also does a bit of work on the side as a Timothy Spall lookalike.
 Puppythedog 02 Dec 2014
In reply to kwoods:

Not sure what your comment means? A commentator corrected the other. There is only one meaning of flash, in the other competition formats it is a flash if done first time because they have not seen them before. In this instance it is not a flash becuase they have all worked all the boulders.

I enjoyed some of the comentating on the IFSC tour. It's not the end of the world the misuse of Flash but it grated whilst watching.
 kwoods 02 Dec 2014
In reply to puppythedog:

47:27. "its not a technical flash but still its the expression we use during climbing comps, doing it first go."
 Puppythedog 02 Dec 2014
In reply to kwoods:

Which at the time seemed to me to be a fudge because one commentator didn't know the difference. It's not used in the comps incorrectly as far as I can remember.
 stp 02 Dec 2014
In reply to UKC News:

I thought the comp was really good but it seemed a shame there was no women's section. The women's competition bouldering is just as exciting as the men's at the moment.
 Puppythedog 03 Dec 2014
In reply to stp:

It's held at a different time and called something else. Can't remember what... Might be the terra nova battle or something.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...