UKC

Rjuken in March

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Drew52 30 Nov 2014
Hi there,
Planning on climbng in Rjuken Mid - end of March. Has anyone else climbed in that period and what were the conditions like?

Thanks
 DeanD 01 Dec 2014
In reply to Drew52:

i got early feb and find it to be the best time. last year we had friends go in march and it had warmed up alot.
OP Drew52 01 Dec 2014
In reply to Drew52:

Has anyone climbed in rjuken in mid March and there has never been anything to climb because of the high temps?
 Dave Williams 01 Dec 2014
OP Drew52 01 Dec 2014
In reply to Dave Williams:

Thanks for that Dave. The only time I can get free to go is the 12th - 22nd March. Hopefully it works out. Anyone else climbed at this time of year with success. Also, is the ski centre open at this time of year and have good snow?
 Mr. Lee 01 Dec 2014
In reply to Drew52:

I'd say second half of march would be a bit late for a trip generally. You'd be relying on the season lasting longer than average. I think you'd probably get more done just going to Ben Nevis.
Athletic climber 01 Dec 2014
In reply to Drew52:
I was there the beginning of March this year and the conditions weren't good at all. Ozzimossis was full of big holes. krokan river was showing through lots. Also quite a few routes dropping at krokan.
 andy dunn 01 Dec 2014
In reply to Athletic climber:

I was also there for the very beginning of March this year, we climbed each day but conditions weren't great.
Low down the routes weren't in.
Things were melting quite a bit in the gorge.
Most routes at Krokan were intact but were kicked out and pretty much every move was hooking into existing placements.
 Dave Williams 01 Dec 2014
In reply to Drew52:

> Thanks for that Dave.
You're very welcome.

> The only time I can get free to go is the 12th - 22nd March. Hopefully it works out.
Hopefully yes. If it'll turn out like March 2011 you'll be laughing!

> Also, is the ski centre open at this time of year and have good snow?
It should be open and hopefully should still have plenty of snow. The pistes are well maintained. Very busy at weekends though; quieter during the week. Beware of locals-in-a-hurry-to get-to-the-slopes doing Scandinavian flicks and deliberately drifting round the hairpins on the approach road. Very impressive if you ever see it from behind - and very exciting if you see it coming towards you!
Athletic climber 03 Dec 2014
In reply to andy dunn:
Sounds like we must have been there just after you Andy. We couldn't climb 1 day as krokan area was falling to bits. You had to be really careful not to fall through the river. Heading out end of jan in 2015. Hopefully conditions are better

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...