UKC

La Grave Approaches-Skins/Snowshoes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JHolland 01 Dec 2014
Just wondering if anyone has info on the approaches to the routes in La Grave? boviously some of the stuff is virtually roadside (e.g. Caturgeas), but is touring gear/snowhoes a useful thing to have for some of the zones? Cheers
 Simon4 01 Dec 2014
In reply to JHolland:

No, never found either to be useful or necessary in La Grave.

There are a few routes accessible from the Col de Lautaret where they are needed, presumably it is quite common for the more remote mountain routes, but not the main valley areas.
 neilwiltshire 01 Dec 2014
In reply to JHolland:

I did one approach to Patri last year after heavy snowfall. We were breaking trail for two and a half hours. It was pretty hard going, falling in up to our armpits. We definitely would have benefited from snow shoes. Was knackered when we finally got to the bottom of the climb!
 Ron Walker 01 Dec 2014
In reply to JHolland:
Never needed them though you could hire skis or snow shoes if needed.
Generally if things are in nick there's likely a good trail. If there a lot of fresh snow about and no trails there's probably a very good reason and without local knowledge and experience, I'd be concerned about the avalanche risk and the likes. For some areas such as over the Col du Lautaret, Vallon Diable and Alpe d'Huez skis can be fun. They will have a decent firm pisted trails when safe and climbable and we've never had any real problems just walking in, as long as the roads and passes are open!!!
If there's a lot of deep fresh snow we normally go skiing!!
Post edited at 12:39
 neilwiltshire 02 Dec 2014
In reply to neilwiltshire:

Just realised I was talking about Cogne. La Grave, you'll probably be fine!
OP JHolland 02 Dec 2014
In reply to JHolland:

Cheers guys. To be honest I'll probably take my skis anyway as it seems rude not to do a bit when youve got terrain like that
The Papa Lazarou 02 Dec 2014
In reply to JHolland:

If you ski well then a days ticket on 'La Mieje' would surely be a must?people come from all around the world to ski there such is its reputation
 Simon4 02 Dec 2014
In reply to Ron Walker:

> ... areas such as over the Col du Lautaret, Vallon Diable and Alpe d'Huez skis can be fun

Essential for the Col du Lautaret, but pretty tricky for the Vallon du Diable - it gets pretty narrow at the exit, skiing that with a full Winter pack is going to be pretty challenging, though I have seen a French couple do it. If there is a lot of snow in the Vallon I would either :

1) not go - it is a notorious avalanche trap in heavy snow, being a steep sided V shaped valley
2) take snowshoes, much easier to tackle with a pack on for most people

I did once ski to the routes in Alpe d'Huez, the problem then became what boots to climb in. We actually carried mountain boots, which were bloody cold (and heavy), then changed back to the ski boots after the route. They were by then also bloody cold, also the mountain boots made the pack even heavier to ski with.

I would now unquestionably climb in ski-touring boots, rather than faff about like that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...