UKC

Best Lakeland viewpoint on a road?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 01 Dec 2014
 Bob 01 Dec 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

A couple:

The view of Torver and the Coniston Fells as you about to drop down in to Torver on the road from Greenodd.

The view of the head of Eskdale from the Birker Fell road.
 Mark Eddy 01 Dec 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

First sight of Great Gable on the drive in to Wasdale.

Scafells & Eskdale from the Birker fell road
OP Rog Wilko 01 Dec 2014
In reply to Bob:

Both good ones! Your mention of the Birker Fell road view reminds me that somewhere in my chaotic files of photos there is a multi shot stitch of that view. Might see if I can find it.
OP Rog Wilko 01 Dec 2014
In reply to A Mountain Journey:

Yes, I guess Wasdale is a pretty good one too.
In reply to Rog Wilko:

The Blea Tarn road is pretty good, but there's nothing really to compare with the drive into Wasdale, IMHO.
 alan moore 01 Dec 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:
I always go goggle eyed on the drive up Borrowdale. It's the combination of river, woods, hills and more crags than you can shake a stick at! Always say I should get out and walk it one day; but never do...
 John Kelly 01 Dec 2014
In reply to alan moore:

can't see a thing for bloody trees - get to langdale
 John Kelly 01 Dec 2014
In reply to malk:

I was looking for this the other day - thanks
 goose299 02 Dec 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Coming down Wrynose pass into Langdale with a view of the landglade pikes
 GrahamD 02 Dec 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

All a bit pretty, pretty, but I reckon the view from the road by Tarn Hows takes a lot of beating.
 John H Bull 02 Dec 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:
Assuming the Walna Scar road doesn't count, Birker Fell looking north is the most expansive view from a single road viewpoint. Awesome.
Not the best view, but one of the best sights on the odd occasion when it's completely clear: the M6 heading north at Lancaster when you first see the hills. Feels like going home.
 Dave Hewitt 02 Dec 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Not Lakes as such, but when you're driving south down the M74 near Lockerbie - around where that strange big factory thing is - there's a straight stretch where Skiddaw is directly ahead, along the line of the road. That always cheers me up.
Clauso 02 Dec 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

This first view of the Scafell massif, as you descend into Wasdale on the Whinlatter Forest road, never fails to stop me in my tracks:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.6094983,-3.2045907,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m5!1...
In reply to Clauso:

Skiddaw ..?
 nickh1964 02 Dec 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Birker Fell road every time for me................
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Driving from Alston over Hartside summit on a clear day in winter with a cloud inversion in the Eden Valley.
 Carolyn 02 Dec 2014
In reply to bullybones:

> Not the best view, but one of the best sights on the odd occasion when it's completely clear: the M6 heading north at Lancaster when you first see the hills. Feels like going home.

Having grown up in Lancaster, and having this view on the walk to school, I have to agree it's great!

The first good view of Blencathra as you drive west along the A66 evokes the same feelings...and actually, my whole commute across the A66 is fantastic, perhaps also the spot on the edge of Bassenthwaite.

But for the single best view, I'm going with Wasdale.

Carolyn 02 Dec 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Skiddaw ..?

I reckon so!
Clauso 02 Dec 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Skiddaw ..?

I don't think so? No... Not unless I've been misreading my Wainwright's?
 John H Bull 02 Dec 2014
In reply to Carolyn:
> Having grown up in Lancaster, and having this view on the walk to school, I have to agree it's great!

I grew up in Lancaster too, and got moved to Barrow when I was 10. You can see both places from the M6 heading north just past the Uni (as you can from Williamson's Park where I mis-spent my infancy) , but your eye is drawn to Coniston Old Man, Dow Crag, the neglected Caw (top summit!), and Black Combe. I don't think I ever noticed them when I was a kid.
 Carolyn 02 Dec 2014
In reply to bullybones:

Williamson's Park is a wonderful place to mis-spend your infancy..... I'm impressed it still survives with so little fencing and so many drops!

I'm not sure I consciously noticed them as a kid, but I did miss them when I moved to Cambridgeshire!
 Carolyn 02 Dec 2014
In reply to Clauso:

> I don't think so? No... Not unless I've been misreading my Wainwright's?

But Whinlatter Pass didn't descend into Wasdale last time I went over it?
(Links Keswick and Lorton/Buttermere - this looks like the view from part way down the Keswick side)
 Pagan 02 Dec 2014
In reply to bullybones:

> but your eye is drawn to Coniston Old Man, Dow Crag, the neglected Caw (top summit!), and Black Combe.

I love the view of these from the top of the Kirkby Moor road with the Duddon Estuary below them (grew up in Ulverston).

Another vote for Birker and Wasdale from me - Birker might be my second favourite cycling road in the Lakes, especially if you're planning a stop at the pub in Eskdale...
Clauso 02 Dec 2014
In reply to Carolyn:

Seems that maybe I did misread my Wainwright after all!... No wonder I found 'Broad Stand' so easy?

Still, what's in a name? I'm going to continue to refer to 'Skiddaw' as Scafell Pike, simply because I don't want to have to go to the effort of climbing the other Scafell Pike.
 Carolyn 02 Dec 2014
In reply to Clauso:

LOL.... it's almost as high, if a little more rounded!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...