UKC

El Chorro Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BigLob 03 Dec 2014
Im off for a weeks climbing in the El Chorro area and having not climbed over there wondered if there is any advice on rope length? Was going to take a 60m but looking at the route lengths think I may need to invest in a 70m. Any advice?
 Lukeva 03 Dec 2014
In reply to BigLob:

There some really nice 30+m pitches. Def. worth the investment
 GridNorth 03 Dec 2014
In reply to BigLob:

It might even be worth investing in an 80 metre rope especially if you ever intend visiting Kalymnos where there are loads of 40 metre pitches.
 MischaHY 03 Dec 2014
In reply to BigLob:

Agreed, if you're going to buy another then buy an 80.
 ashtond6 03 Dec 2014
In reply to BigLob:

i used a 60 and had a thin half rope as backup

didnt' miss out on anything
 TonyB 03 Dec 2014
In reply to BigLob:

I was out there last year and am going back over new year. There is a lot that you can do with a 60m and that's all I had last year. I did a few longer routes but with someone I met there who had a 70m rope. For the trip later this month I bought a new rope. I went for an 80m. I think in Chorro 70m would be fine, but I thought 80m might be more flexible for future trips elsewhere (plus you can trim the ends if they get worn and still have a 70m+ rope).
 stp 05 Dec 2014
In reply to BigLob:

I used a 60m there some years ago and didn't encounter any problems. I imagine there are a few longer routes but if its just for that one trip its probably not worth it. You can always get down off the odd long route with a bit of care. I'd say it really depends on where else you plan on going after El Chorro.
 dereke12000 06 Dec 2014
In reply to BigLob:

We went in the Spring and took a 60m but wished we'd had a 70m especially at Valle de Abdalajis. I've just now got a 70m and it's lighter than my last 60m, so yes, I'd suggest a 70m

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...