UKC

Mera peak boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 shibz 03 Dec 2014
I'm planning a trip to mera peak in 2016 and was looking at some advice on boots. I currently use Nepal evos for Scottish winter but i do suffer with cold feet very easily. I was wondering whether la sportiva Olympus mons would be abit over kill?

L.A. 03 Dec 2014
In reply to shibz: Depends if you have any future plans to go high. If you really see yourself attempting 7000/8000m peaks then you could think about investing in some, (ideally second hand in case you find you really dont enjoy pain ) or possibly some Spantiks
Personally, I think that if your unsure about whether you have any further ambition to go high, then Id pick up a cheap pair of second hand Vegas or similar.
Youre only high for a couple of days but dont risk your toes by trying to use your Evos Many get away with it (Just) but dont risk your summit attempt for having to turn back if your feet are cold

Andy Nisbet 03 Dec 2014
In reply to shibz:

It is at that borderline height where, if your circulation is poor, you might need special boots. October is not so bad, but November much colder. I've led three treks there in October, but a couple of people out of 20 have had to turn back with numb toes. Sorry I don't know the models, but it is colder than Scotland in a cold winter.
 sam benson 04 Dec 2014
In reply to shibz:

How about a pair of Vegas?, pick up super cheap second hand you can layer socks inside etc and you will not have cold feet even when waiting in the queue for the fixed ropes, someone is selling a pair on here with HA inners.

Wear your trainers up to base camp and just summit day in the Vegas as you only have one day in cold / snow even then its limited, agree with the above post November much colder than October

will save you a bundle and you can always use them again or sell on

or

have you considered hiring a pair of warmer boots if its just a one off trip ?

cheers Sam
 Nath 04 Dec 2014
In reply to shibz:

Plus 1 on Plastic

I did Mera in Plastics bought of ebay, put them back on ebay after trip and got £18 more for them then I paid.

Summit day was bloody cold !!

Nath
 ChrisRGX 04 Dec 2014
In reply to shibz:

+2 for plastics. I wore Vegas when I did it in Dec 2006. It was pretty cold on summit day and even in plastics I still felt the cold in my feet (and everywhere else!).

I wore them on my first Scottish winter trip the following year and they were hell on the walk in so I haven't worn them since. I'd need to check the size but I'd be happy to sell them.

Chris
 mountainbagger 04 Dec 2014
In reply to shibz:

+3 for plastics. I bought some Vegas. As people say you can sell them off again later. Mera can be very cold - when we were there in October 2007, somebody got airlifted off with frostbitten feet, through having poor footwear. You might get away with it, but I can't see how it could be worth the gamble, considering the costs of getting you to the point where you need them, only to have to turn back for the sake of a few quid.

We were on the white cold stuff for at least 3 days, up to camp on the Mera La, then high camp, then summit day, though arguably the really cold bit and where I was glad of the plastics is starting out from high camp (about 5,800m) to summit in the middle of the night. One member of our party turned back with numb feet at that point (and he had plastics on!).

Anyway, if the plastics are the only pair of crampon compatible footwear you take with you, then you could be wearing them over 3 days. I found them quite comfortable, especially if you loosened the top part around the ankle, on the easier terrain, especially on descent. The rest of the time you could get away with approach shoes/trainers (the porters certainly did), though beware - if the rainy season isn't quite over, you might be glad of waterproof but comfy walking boots with gaters.

Hope this helps
Damo
 ChrisRGX 04 Dec 2014
In reply to mountainbagger:

Good point re loosening the boots.

I also found that I got major heel lift, probably due to then being slightly too big. I solved it by using a funky lacing system which I've posted here before. Pics are below

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56752754@N06/sets/72157625418218755/

If you suffer with heel lift, definitely try this out.
 sam benson 05 Dec 2014
In reply to shibz:

Hi, sorry mixing Island and Mera Peak up (hence the fixed ropes bit)

so yes go for plastics as you will be high and cold for a number of days, cheers Sam
 Howard 06 Dec 2014
I was on Mera in October/November 2013. It is a VERY cold mountain, and extremely serious although technically not difficult. Very sunny and warm during the day, but very cold at night. I wore a pair of Scarpa Omegas and just got away with it, even though I did not make it to the top.
If you are susceptible to cold, buy a pair of Scarpa Vegas, they are worth the outlay-Cotswold are currently selling them for £235.00 a pair. Do not neglect your hands-I have a pair of Black Diamond Absolute Mitts which you can have. I will not be going back there. Do not sleep in the socks which you have worn on the way to your high camp, they will be damp, and guarantee a lousy night's sleep.
Good luck.

In reply to shibz:

I have a pair of Vasque Radiator Boa boots if you are interested? Apparently rated to 7000m but I gues that depends on whether you run hot or cold. Anyway, I found them nice and warm on Ama Dablam in November. Excellent condition. Open to offers if it means I avoid ebay fees!
 sbc_10 06 Dec 2014
In reply to cannichoutdoors:

What size would those Boa's be ???
In reply to sbc_10: Euro 42, UK 8

sbc_10 06 Dec 2014
In reply to cannichoutdoors:

Too small, nevermind. They look interesting boots and get good reviews.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...