UKC

Lightroom import order, SD card write times.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Couple of questions that I've googled and can't find answers to. (Olympus camera, JPEG/RAW, scandisk SD card, Lightroom 5.6, pc on win7, usb card reader.)

Got Lightroom recently and notice when I import photos from an SD card, they are not imported in the order of shooting (all single shots, not bursts of shots). Last night imported photos taken on three separate days, and they were import displayed out of order - a few of day 1, few of day 3, some day 2, some day 1, etc. Made the import more time consuming since I was putting them into different folders. What have I done wrong/why out of order? If imported direct into photo galley they are in the shooting order.

I've noticed now the darker nights are here, that longer exposures take almost exactly the same length of time to write to my SD card, ie 1 min exposure, 1 min to write; 2 mins - 2 mins; and last night a 4.5 mins exposure took 4.5 mins. Card is a scandisk 48 mb/s write speed. Is this normal? I expected longer write times, but directly proportional? I remember one professional talking about a star shot exposure taking 1.5 hrs and can't imagine him waiting another 1.5 hrs for it to write to the card!

I did have a card error warning recently (before I bought Lightroom), but after formatting and losing the photos!) it seems to work ok. Could this be the cause of both the above? If the card, any recommendations for a good card?

Thanks.
 ChrisJD 04 Dec 2014
In reply to Climbing Pieman:
In Grid Mode you should be able to reorder how you like.

For automated reordering: Press T to show the Toobar (under the Image Grid, and above the film Strip), should be drop-down options there. Also drop-down at end of the Toolbar to show the options of what appears in the Toolbar.
Post edited at 18:45
interdit 04 Dec 2014
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

> I've noticed now the darker nights are here, that longer exposures take almost exactly the same length of time to write to my SD card, ie 1 min exposure, 1 min to write; 2 mins - 2 mins; and last night a 4.5 mins exposure took 4.5 mins.

My guess is that you have long exposure noise reduction turned on.
The extra period of time is not 'write time', but the camera taking a second exposure, but with the shutter closed.
The camera will then use the noise-only exposure to evalute how best to deal with the noise in your original image - It then writes the image to the card.
In reply to ChrisJD:
Thanks, I'll check the options out.
In reply to interdit:
Ah, never gave noise reduction a thought. I'll need to delve into the menu option and see what the settings are. Thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...