UKC

long walk after w.h.w & g.g.w

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 beer belly 04 Dec 2014
i have done the west highland way and great glen way and had a really good time
any ideas on any uk long distance route as sorted as WHW /GGW ??
something with wild camping ,campsites and good resupply options beer etc ????
thanks
 nathan79 04 Dec 2014
In reply to beer belly:

Cape Wrath trail?
 Roguevfr 04 Dec 2014
In reply to nathan79:

Why not do a TGO Challenge, if not an official entry, then any west to east crossing
 Joe G 05 Dec 2014
In reply to beer belly:
> something with wild camping ,campsites and good resupply options beer etc ????
>

Beer? I see your beer and raise you whisky... The Speyside Way passes a few distilleries. I haven't walked it but it passes through nice country, as does the East Highland Way which connects Aviemore and Fort William. So by following the WHW, EHW and SW you can follow a signposted path all the way from Milngavie to Buckie, should you wish.
In reply to beer belly:

Pennine Way would get my vote, perhaps just the top half if you're pushed for time
 fmck 05 Dec 2014
In reply to beer belly:

West island way : Plenty o pubs over there
 SenzuBean 05 Dec 2014
In reply to beer belly:

You could do this one on Skye, or something similar: http://www.meetup.com/NBH-NaturalBornHikers/events/218666901/

Brass Nipples 05 Dec 2014
In reply to beer belly:

The Cambrian Way was never officially made a long distance walk. It has buckets of wild spaces you pass through, from Cardiff to Conway crossing Wales south to north. I backpacked it in 1987, but sure you'll still get the same experiences and enjoy the wild campng options. Train either end as well

brianrunner 05 Dec 2014
In reply to beer belly:

http://www.southwestcoastpath.com/

This has to be the one. Great coastal walking, probably tougher than the WHW or GGW with more ups and downs. Lots of good pubs, cornish pasties and fantastic scenery!
Brian
 Howard 24 Dec 2014
In reply to brianrunner:

Coast To Coast.
 allanscott 07 Jan 2015
In reply to beer belly:

Scotland Coast to Coast for sure. TGO Challenge is good with excellent organisation but obviously that's out for you this year.
Spend a few of these long winter nights poring over the OS maps and you'll find plenty of ideas.
Check out the bothies on MBA website and make sure you know where all the hostels then link them up for a great experience without having to hump a mega sack for the duration. I'd set aside at least 10-12 days for such a trip.
I've done TGO Challenge twice (back when it was the Ultimate Challenge). Kintail to Montrose was good as was Strathcarron-Montrose the second time.
I still hanker for another crossing probably from Lochailort through Ardgour-Mamores-Rannoch-Atholl-Deeside/Angus.
Maybe next year, who knows?
 philpdr 07 Jan 2015
In reply to beer belly:

Cleveland Way's good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...