UKC

B2 boot aquisition: funny feet problems..more help please!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SonyaM 06 Dec 2014

Sorry to bother everyone AGAIN, but now, in my boot search I have hit a major glitch.
I followed pretty much all the advice or am going to when I can from my earlier B3 search (apart from going to Chamonix, though that wasn't such a bad idea NottsRich). Now it's changed to B2s as I've learnt B3s aren't necessary.
I have learnt an awful lot this last fortnight trawling every shop in the Lakes and ringing around.
Scarpa, Sportiva, Solewa, Mammut, Meindl, Han Wag... they all have excessive heel lift and some also too narrow at the front, but the heel lift is the big problem.
It turns out that not only do I have wide fore-feet I have narrow heels. Great.
Also, apparently very few women go climbing as you should see how comparatively few models there are of these boots compared to what you lucky blokes have available to choose from.
I'm now in Manchester so will be going to Outside and some other stores. But in preparation, any tips on brands that may be good starting points or that I could look at trying out by mail order?
Post edited at 23:07
 dek 06 Dec 2014
In reply to SonyaM:

It says ladies Nepals have narrow heels, suppose you've tried them on?

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Footwear/Mountain-Boots/Nepal-Extreme...

What about Scarpa Ladies Mont Blancs, wider fore foot?

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Mountaineering-Boot-Womens-Reviews/La-Sportiv...
 girlymonkey 07 Dec 2014
In reply to SonyaM:

I have very wide feet and the nepals work well for me. B3s not necessary for me either, but nepals are dead comfy for me, and b3s are warmer than b2s, that was enough to make my decision!
Sadly mail order was my only option for trying lots on. I had a very poor week when I had bought several pairs online, and was deciding which to keep!
m0unt41n 07 Dec 2014
In reply to SonyaM:

I have very wide feet but narrow heels, but a bloke. I found I had to get boots 2 sizes (UK sizes) bigger than my feet measure in terms of length, just to fit the width. To stop heel lift I end up using superfeet insoles to help keep the foot in place and lacing up the top tight whilst the bottom are fairly loose. With plastic B3 I ended up reshaping the tongue and padding it a bit to stop it digging in when done up tight. I continue to be surprised at how effective Superfeet insoles are and how expensive they are for what they are.
 nufkin 07 Dec 2014
In reply to m0unt41n:

> I continue to be surprised at how effective Superfeet insoles are and how expensive they are for what they are.

Likewise - though your first observation presumably explains the second
 Dan_S 07 Dec 2014
In reply to SonyaM:

I have similar problems with very narrow heels. I actually find womens boots fit me better (mammut and Scarpa).

If you're having problems with heel lift, invest in a set of tounge depressors (e.g. http://www.jackson-sports.com/en/Superfeet-Tongue-Depressor-For-Boots/m-374... They go under the laces and help reduce the volume around the top of the ankle, pushing the heel down into the footbed.

Another thing is to try superfeet, or imho better, though harder to find SOLE insoles.

In reply to SonyaM: Try Salomon. They are generally narrower in the heel and wider in the fore foot.
Afraid I don't know much about what B2s they do currently but their lighter boots seem to sell fairly well at the moment.
m0unt41n 07 Dec 2014
In reply to nufkin:

Absolutely true, which is why I always buy them.
Gritted teeth being preferable to blistered feet.
OP SonyaM 14 Dec 2014
In reply to SonyaM:
All sorted! Asolo Sherpa from Outside. Thanks for your help everyone.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...