UKC

New garage New Wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goose299 07 Dec 2014
So I've just bought a new house and my garage is smaller.
I've gone from a 7.5ft tall garage to one just a little over 6.5ft tall.

Is it worthwhile adapting my wall to fit the smaller height?
Does anyone else train on a small wall? Do you still feel the benefits?

Also does anyone have a pictures of their small walls? Or even diagrams for design?
 jimhall 11 Dec 2014
In reply to goose299:

I have just finished my garage wall. It's about the same height as your new garage. I have only trained on it 4 or 5 times so far, but it seems really good. It's quite steep so that adds to the difficulty. I lend to do laps around it as i'm training for a bit of endurance at the moment. I only have facebook pic of it but I'll post the link.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152843327713329&set=pcb.10152...
 Nick Harvey 11 Dec 2014
Mine is pretty short, and plenty hard enough:
http://nickonice.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/the-epic-post-of-wall.html

Doghouse 11 Dec 2014
In reply to Nick Harvey:

Cool wall
 Nick Harvey 11 Dec 2014
In reply to Doghouse: Thanks. However, I fear its future lies as a playroom!

OP goose299 11 Dec 2014
In reply to jimhall:

yhm
 gethin_allen 11 Dec 2014
In reply to goose299:
Just take out the old wall and lean it over at a harder angle to fit it in the new garage.

Then get tough enough to use it
Post edited at 17:28
In reply to goose299:

Here are few pics of my garage wall. Might be of use.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave_eadie/sets/72157637119585043/
 Mutl3y 12 Dec 2014
In reply to becauseitsthere:

Awesome pics. This is really useful. I am about to put a board in my garage and am scouting the web for ideas - specially relating to how to actually fix the thing to the wall

How long is your biggest board? Is it attached to just one joist?
 Mutl3y 12 Dec 2014
In reply to Nick Harvey:

Ditto above, these sort of photo albums are really useful. Looks like your joist set up was ideal to support the board. I'm undecided whether my set up is strong enough as yet. It's not exactly standard.
In reply to Mutl3y:

All the boards were 2.4x1.2. The roof panels were screwed straight into the roof joists of the garage. The side joists and panels were then placed underneath as tightly as possible to help support the roof. Staggered the roof panels to help distribute the load. Had a couple of hefty friends on the roof and there doesn't appear to be any deflection.
OP goose299 13 Dec 2014
In reply to goose299:

cheers all
 Joyce 14 Dec 2014
OP goose299 14 Dec 2014
In reply to goose299:

To be fair, mine's freestanding too and I reckon I'm going to able to just cut of a few inches of wood at the bottom of the frame and it should fit. Should being the key word there though
 pec 14 Dec 2014

I'm building a wall in my garage soon (as soon as I've finished building the garage!).
How do you find the OSB sheets rather than the plywood used on commercial walls, I know its a good bit cheaper but don't you get splinters from it or does it have better friction?
Also is that a DIY made to measure crash mat, if so what from etc?
Thanks.
 jkarran 15 Dec 2014
In reply to goose299:

A friend of mine has a very clever wall packed into a tiny garden shed, it can't be more than 8x4 in floor area and 6ft6 high. It has multiple fold lines and the upper edge slides along runners in the ceiling. Very neat and with enough hinges the fold lines provide all the structure so it's light and thin to store.

Edit: I'm always amazed by the weight of timber framing people put into their walls!

jk
Post edited at 11:49
 Tom Last 15 Dec 2014
In reply to jkarran:

> Edit: I'm always amazed by the weight of timber framing people put into their walls!

Agreed.

My 2 main supporting uprights (mine's freestanding) are 6x2 and the thing feels a bit over engineered really. That said it's absolutely bombproof and maybe that's because of the 6x2s, who knows. Everything else is 4x2.

I put a crack machine in mine, which made the build a bit of a faff, but is by far and away the boards best feature.

In reply to pec:

> I'm building a wall in my garage soon (as soon as I've finished building the garage!).

> How do you find the OSB sheets rather than the plywood used on commercial walls, I know its a good bit cheaper but don't you get splinters from it or does it have better friction?

> Also is that a DIY made to measure crash mat, if so what from etc?

> Thanks.

The sterling board has been fine. Quite a lot cheaper too. No splinters so far. Could also reduce the chance of any if I gave it a coat of paint.

The mats are old gymnastics ones that were being thrown out of the school where I work. Size wise they just happened to fit perfectly.
 pec 16 Dec 2014

Thanks, I'll get my wife to see if she can scrounge an old crash mat from the PE department at her school!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...