UKC

Anyone know a dog trainer in Lakes who is also a climber?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Si Withington 07 Dec 2014
Okay, so I'm looking for some help training my dog. Ideally I'd like to find a dog trainer who I can spend some time with and have a few lessons, but I want to find someone who understands the environment that the dog needs to 'work' in.

For example:

She needs to walk to heel, but slightly in front so that when we're on narrow exposed ground we're not tripping each other up
She needs to be extremely crag aware
She needs to not eat my clients' sandwiches
She needs to chill at the top of crags when I'm rigging, or chill at the bottom while I'm working on a multi-pitch line
She needs to not chase sheep

She's a Spaniel and is already part way to a lot of this stuff but as I take her to work with me I need to be able to 100% trust her.

Any recommendations for folk in the Lakes?

Si
 John Kelly 07 Dec 2014
In reply to Si Withington:
if you can get her to do all that you may as well teach her to belay
Post edited at 18:38
OP Si Withington 07 Dec 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

She can already belay, but only with a GriGri
 John Kelly 07 Dec 2014

she sound a lot more responsible than my mate!!
 Dark-Cloud 07 Dec 2014
Well speaking as a Cocker Spaniel owner and a bit of a climber (once upon a time), spaniels especially seem to be very owner aware and highly social and separation like that is something that they will enjoy, you may have different results but when we are around or in close proximity ours wants to be with us, its just in the way they are.

Good luck though !!
Post edited at 20:16

They guy who does the gear tests in trail also trains dogs, he might be worth a look as I am sure that he is more than qualified to assist you in the environment that you are working in.

http://www.thompsonoutdoor.co.uk/Home.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...