UKC

Creag an Fhithich Lochgoilhead for Highland Outcrops

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Nisbet 08 Dec 2014
Has anyone been here, and is it worth going? This is for the forthcoming SMC Highland Outcrops guide.

Creag an Fhithich
(NN 203 043) Alt 300m West facing
This is the crag above Pole Farm, about 5km north of Lochgoilhead. It is 45m high and dries quickly. The main feature is a left-slanting overlap. One climb has been recorded, which provides a steep pitch.

Three Steps to Heaven 40m E1
J.Divall, R.Cluer, B.Smith, 24 Aug 1984
Start below the centre of the crag. Follow a layback crack to a roof, turn it on the right, then follow a left-slanting crack. Finish to the right at a rowan.
 Carolyn 08 Dec 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

I don't think so - I've climbed on some obscure outcrops around there 20 years ago - one might vaguely fit the description of the first route (is it given an indication of grade at all?), but I'd need to look at the map - I'm unconvinced it was that far north of Lochgoilhead.

You might get some joy if you contacted the Scout Centre - I don't recognise any staff names any more, but if you asked to be put in touch with the support group (volunteers), there might be people there who've climbed them.
http://www.lochgoilhead.org.uk/contact-us/

I'll also see if I can raise any of them on Facebook. I have to say my overriding memory is that you wouldn't seek out any of the routes unless you were based in Lochgoilhead for the whole summer!
OP Andy Nisbet 08 Dec 2014
In reply to Carolyn:

Thanks for that. What is above is all I have. One route, no technical grade.
In reply to Carolyn:

I've sent an e-mail to the centre, but whether it will be passed on to any climbers at the centre, we'll see and hope. But if you can contact any, then that would be appreciated.
 Carolyn 08 Dec 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

I've put it on my FB feed and have tagged a couple of people who might still be in contact with people who might know.

Thinking a bit more, I'm sure the route I have in my head was no where near 45m long, so I'm probably no direct help, though I'll look at the map. It would have been severe at most.
 Carolyn 08 Dec 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Andy - assuming I've found the right person, I've sent you a friend request on FB so you can follow the thread on there. Been suggested that Mark Chadwick (MIC) has connections with Lochgoilhead centre and might have some knowledge.
In reply to Carolyn:

Thanks. I know Mark and will ask him.
 Colin Moody 08 Dec 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

I never went there, maybe Michael Tweedley did?

I did go to Slabby Crag above the Lochgoilhead road, it was not inspiring and is possibly in a forest now.
In reply to Colin Moody:

Thanks; I've never heard of Slabby Crag, but sounds like it doesn't matter.
 Colin Moody 09 Dec 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Arran, Arrochar p 283.
OP Andy Nisbet 09 Dec 2014
In reply to Colin Moody:

Sorry, classed that as a mountain crag since it was on Beinn an Lochain.
 tim newton 09 Dec 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Hi Andy,
I doubt the Lochgoilhead centre will have any info for you, I worked there in 2012 for the season and there wasn't anybody that worked there likely to have climbed the route. Most of the staff change most years too. Sorry I can't help, I'm pretty surprised looking back that I never got round to climbing it considering how close it was.
OP Andy Nisbet 10 Dec 2014
In reply to tim newton:

Yes, it sounds an encouraging description. But no-one seems to have done it. The folk at the centre are trying to get hold of the FAist, who worked at the centre. Thanks for responding.
 Cog 10 Dec 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Jim worked at Arrochar outdoor centre.
 Carolyn 10 Dec 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

You may have seen on Facebook - I've been reminded there's also Ardroy Outdoor Centre on the other side of the loch, which again, might have climbers who've ventured out of an evening or day off.

http://www.ardroy-oec.co.uk

(And apologies - I've now read your OP more carefully and realised the first bit's a general crag description - I'd read it as one of those vague route descriptions you sometimes get for low grade routes that aren't deemed to deserve a proper entry! So no, I've certainly not climbed the route in question)
 Nick_Scots 05 Jan 2015
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

There is a picture on this facebook group of local climbers on the Crag.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mid-Argyll-Climbers/201776306508015

Hope this helps.

Nick
In reply to Scott_vzr:

Think you may be mistaken. The pic will be of Creag NAM fitheach
OP Andy Nisbet 06 Jan 2015
In reply to Scott_vzr:

Thanks Nick, but Paul is right and there are three "Raven" crags in the area.
 Nick_Scots 06 Jan 2015
In reply to Andy Nisbet:
Ok. Sounds like/looks like that club are doing some new route ing. I think Mark Leyland MIC is the best one to know all the crags around. Lochgoilhead, he lives there, and he is Arrochar's MTN Rescue leader too. He works at Balirvadach OEC, as Depute.

We looked at Creag na Mult a few weeks ago in a snow dump, some mixed route potential and almost roadside !
Ben an Lochain did not have enough cover.

Post edited at 17:35
 Scott Kirkhope 06 Jan 2015
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Hi Andy,

I worked and lived in 'the goil' for nearly a year and heard of no one climbing this crag. I know the area its in and the rest of the crags are a little green to say the least.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...