UKC

6 months anywhere...where would you go?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ams1101 08 Dec 2014
My boyfriend and I have spent the last year floating the idea of taking time off of work and going on an adventure. We have vaguely said that this trip would be for 6 months and for the latter half of next year, June - December. We have funds enough to bum about in most places for this length, although certainly not in luxury.

We started climbing just 18 months ago but were bitten by the bug. We climb indoors regularly and have fitted in a few trips outdoors, sport and trad, but are under no illusions that we're anything other than novices in the grand scheme of things. We really want to incorporate climbing into this trip of ours, and actually, would like to make it the main component.

So, where would you go with 6 months on your hands?

The Pylon King 08 Dec 2014
In reply to Ams1101:

Scotland, in particular the Outer Hebredes, Shetland etc.
Post edited at 10:32
 Rich2002 08 Dec 2014
In reply to Ams1101:

I am off for 6 months soon and plan to do 3 months ish in Oz and 3 months ish in the USA. If you want to climb lots the USA has sooooo much rock it is unreal from Yosemte to Red river Gorge. check out all the destination articles on UKC, plannet mountain.com and Plannet fear.com and you will get some great ideas.
 chrisdevon 08 Dec 2014
In reply to Ams1101:

If you fancy South America, check out Hot Rock Expeditions. They have a trip running from July-December in 2015.
 philipivan 08 Dec 2014
In reply to Ams1101:

If you really want to do a lot of climbing and improve head to France in the summer which has masses of sport climbing and mountaineering opportunties then as it gets colder head further south Spain/Italy maybe Morrocco - a good road trip and a lot of climbing. It would be relatively cheap if you have a van. Alternatively if you want to backpack SE Asia offers quite a bit of climbing - Thailand/Vietnam/China etc or US/Australia/NZ.
OP Ams1101 09 Dec 2014
In reply to Ams1101:

Thanks all for the replies. Some interesting ideas. I think it might be between doing the Hot Rock trip to SA or else grabbing a car and going down through France and Spain to Morocco!
 Kemics 09 Dec 2014
In reply to Ams1101:

I can recommend Morocco highly! It's amazing, would be easy to live in luxury for a month/s or so very cheaply. But it's fairly serious trad so would be pushing the experience a little. That said the climbing is actually very beginner friendly, it's just in a remote situation. So it only has serious consequences IF something goes wrong. Otherwise it's perfect.

A trip down through Europe would be awesome as you could drive through for perfect conditions. Hit Germany/France in june. As the Autumn comes in go to Southern France and spain and then when winter kicks in, hop across to Morocco. Would be an amazing trip. Could mix in sport and trad.

SE Asia would be wild too. You could do loads of easy and excellent sport (lots of DWS too)- Thailand/vietnam/China ... there's also some new trad areas being developed in South China.. i think called Li Ming. Orange sandstone, looks like Moab but in a jungle. Would be cheap, awesome climbing and a real culture experience too.

However, for me. I would have to do the US west coast. Yosemite, moab, Zion national park, Joshua tree etc ...but thats only because ive done the first two trips
 Mike Stretford 09 Dec 2014
In reply to Ams1101:

> So, where would you go with 6 months on your hands?

For me, USA without a doubt, as I haven't climbed there and there's loads I want to do.

Might not be best for you though if you've only climbed outside a few times. If it were a younger me in your position I would tell myself to take a European road trip.
 tjekel 09 Dec 2014
In reply to Ams1101:

Incredibly difficult ... a full road trip could be had going all the way down through france, then southeastern europe / croatia and end in greece turkey - lots of alternative outdoor options, different sea cliffs and lots of culture in between. A very viable and probably less known alternative than the classics in southwestern europe. Lots of stuff for advanced beginners including great multipitches.

For a more trad oriented experience the US may be a better option - red rocks near vegas combines both with unbelievable easy to midgrade stuff and would be on my list for the cooler months.
 Offwidth 09 Dec 2014
In reply to tjekel:
West coast USA and you could do all the top venues at leisure. You need to be high in the mid summer and november into december is not far from ideal for the southern desert venues of red rocks and joshua tree. You can camp in many venues for free and food and fuel is cheap so costs can be a lot lower than you might expect. Flight costs are high but not if split over 6 months. If not that try Oz and NZ or a round the world combo. Daft going to Europe or UK venues when you can pick these off cheaper on 1/2 week hols.
Post edited at 19:14
 jcw 10 Dec 2014
In reply to Ams1101:
On My Forums list the immediate answer below was Kyrgyzstan!
 Mal Grey 10 Dec 2014
In reply to Ams1101:

I'd say have a think about what sort of countries you want to visit and experience, as much as the climbing. We don't get much chances to have 6 months off in our lives, so I'd be wanting unique experiences of places I might otherwise not get to, as well as climbing. So maybe something like a trip to Oz/NZ, via South East Asia, to give a real mix of cultures.
From a climbing only point of view, though, I doubt you could better the variety and easy logistics of a US road trip.

JayPee630 10 Dec 2014
In reply to Mal Grey:

US is always more expensive than you think it will be IME, so not a budget trip unless you really rough it. Same for Australia, NZ, and SE Asia.

Camper van trip through Europe or the Hot Rock trip would be better options IMO.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...