UKC

Cobbler bunkhouse/bothy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ablackett 08 Dec 2014
Does anyone know of a bunkhouse/bothy near The Cobbler or generally near Arrochar?

Also, while I'm on could anyone suggest a day walk for us from the same area which doesn't involve any steep descents?

Thanks for any info.
 jonnie3430 08 Dec 2014
In reply to ablackett:

The caves at succoth are the traditional solution.

I don't know what you class as steep, but see ridge of cobbler or ne ridge of beinn an lochain, don't feel steep to me, though they do have steps...
 aln 08 Dec 2014
In reply to jonnie3430:

> The caves at succoth are the traditional solution.

> I tried to go there this year but the new clay pigeon shooting facility on the way was off-putting. My 5yr old didn't like the barking dogs, guns etc. Pissed me off too. We turned back.
 fmck 09 Dec 2014
In reply to ablackett:

MBA Mark bothy is down the west shore of Loch Long accessible down the forest tracks. It is a bit out the way so bikes would probably be best as the tracks are good.
 kwoods 09 Dec 2014
In reply to ablackett:

There's a proper lack of accommodation in this area in both bothies and bunkhouses, I can't actually think of any in the immediate area. There are of course the great faceless coach-tour hotels, but apart from Mark (well out the way for hills apart from Clach Bheinn....) you might have to go for the old howffs, and for that I can only suggest digging out a copy of Mountain Days and Bothy Nights. Abyssinia in Glen Kinglas appears to be pretty much a ruin but probably the closest thing you'd get to a bothy in the Arrochar region.
OP ablackett 09 Dec 2014
In reply to kwoods:

Thanks for all the replies, Mark Bothy looks lovely but like has been said, a bit out of the way. Think we will go for http://www.rowantreebank.co.uk/room_prices.htm £50 for a double isn't too bad for a B&B.
 fmck 09 Dec 2014
In reply to kwoods:

It may be possible that "Mountain days and bothy nights or any of the old "Howf" ventures boulder caves etc that are so well known over this area by the writings of Jock Nimlin or romanticised by others are now pretty much dysfunctional.
These places are now no longer used by folks with decent tents and a wage that extends by a a quid (including no working a Saturday morning)
All the boulder howfs now are little more than rubble!
 gilliesp 19 Dec 2014
In reply to fmck:

"All the boulder howfs now are little more than rubble"

not the one I know........

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...