UKC

Ice Climbing Tignes/Val D'Isere

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 perrys 08 Dec 2014
I'm going to be in Tignes over Xmas and as it looks like the snow will be a bit lacking I wonder if anyone who will be there would be interested in some ice climbing. I'm very much a novice having done only 3 winter routes BTW.
 petrch 16 Dec 2014
In reply to perrys:

Hi Perrys, I' don't know if you're sticking around until the New Year but I'd be massively keen to do this if you are - I'm there 27th December-3rd January. Done three weeks Alpinism courses in the Alps (although mainly mixed rather than pure ice climbing) so imagine we'd be around the same level.
 Tom the tall 16 Dec 2014
In reply to perrys:
There's an icefall above the road between tignes and val d'isere (la Daille ice fall?) with chains at the top of routes for lowering off/abbing. We climbed there many years ago, good fun, varying steepness, climbed in ski boots so can't have been too hard!
 petrch 18 Dec 2014
In reply to Tom the tall:

Thanks for the tip Tom, looks awesome, and about the right level of difficulty. Pretty tempted to throw in my boots and crampons along with my ski stuff now!
 Toerag 19 Dec 2014
In reply to perrys:

Is it actually going to be frozen? No only has there been minimal snow in the alps, they've not been able to make snow because the ground is too warm.
 ChrisC 20 Dec 2014
In reply to Toerag:

Nothing climbable here at the moment and warm in the valley. On the other hand the snow has been pretty good up on the glaciers.
 stuart58 23 Dec 2014
In reply to ChrisC:

There is no ice of any description to climb. The water above dam isn't frozen and the lac at tignes is started to melt . tennis racket good ideal lol
OP perrys 24 Dec 2014
In reply to petrch:

Hiya Petrch,

Sorry - I must have missed your reply. Yes, I'm still here and will be here until mid Jan
 smithg 25 Dec 2014
In reply to perrys:

Anyone likely to be around this area on 22 and 23 Jan, looking to go climbing or touring?
 petrch 01 Jan 2015
In reply to perrys:

Hi Perrys,

Apologies I've only just had the chance to login again and reply to your message. I'm currently in Tignes although given all the talk of melting ice, I decided not to bother bringing all my climbing gear. Out of interest though, how is the icefall looking? Imagine the cold snap early in the week must have come close to freezing it....
 stuart58 01 Jan 2015
In reply to petrwch:
Hi I'm in tignes at no where is ice fall located please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...