UKC

Stale Routes in Manchester

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ned taylor 09 Dec 2014
Which Manchester wall has the greatest turnover of new routes/ new setting?

The roped routes at MCC seem to have been around for ages (since early autumn I'd guess).

My Facebook updates from Reading Climbing Centre (same company) lately seem to show a number of guest setters coming in to set there, so why can't we get some new routes up here? Although that might have just been the bouldering which I understand is easier to re-do.

What's the turnover like at Stockport wall?

Not trying to be negative, I appreciate the work of Jon and the lads, just want something new to go at.
In reply to ned taylor:

Agreed!
Appeal to regulars: petition to get Barrans in setting routes more often. Sign below

Any guest setters would be much appreciated- using Dave as an example since he already sets there and his routes are good
In reply to ned taylor:

We reset the entire centre in August as we had re-painted all of our walls, added new volumes to one of the main lead walls, re-furbished the mezzanine level and the men and womens changing rooms.

We reset alot of the routes in November and since the beginning of December we have reset over half our 75 lines. By Christmas the full centre will have been reset.

Ben Meeks and Dave Barrans are scheduled to route set in the centre next January and February.

Route Setting is of key importance to us, we review regularly how we organise it and climb on the routes frequently ourselves.

If you have any specific comments or criticisms about the routes please get in contact with myself as we do value our customer feedback. Donna dcampbell@manchesterclimbingcentre.com
OP ned taylor 11 Dec 2014
In reply to Parthian Climbing:

Cheers Donna

It does seem like you have reset a lot. And glad to hear Barrans will be back in.
And obviously you've been doing a lot of other work as well which i guess is good.
Maybe It feels to me that the routes don't change that much as they do tend to be sent predominantly by Andy, and commendable though that effort is, it does make for similar routes.

How about getting some female setters in....?
 Scott K 12 Dec 2014
In reply to ned taylor:

You guys are very lucky. At Transition Extreme in Aberdeen most of the routes are up for over 6 months. There is 1 route which is due to have a birthday next month!! Wish we could get guest setters but it is the usual excuse of no budget and unfortunately no competition from other walls.
 MischaHY 12 Dec 2014
In reply to ned taylor:

I'd say the main lead walls at MCC have had new routes added about three times since October.
 Oldsign 12 Dec 2014
In reply to ned taylor:

Aye, following MCC and AW on facebook, both seem to change a lot. The problems at ROC are constantly shifting too, blink and you miss 'em
 wert 12 Dec 2014
In reply to ned taylor:
MCC resets its routes more often than most walls I visit which include awesome walls Stockport & Sheffield, Warrington, Kendal & the Beacon. Warrington has the same routes up for 6 months at a time whereas at MCC it's rarely longer than 2/3 months - plus they have more top roping routes to choose from with various styles (slabs, vertical & corners) & heights (short or long) than many other walls.
Andy's routes are, imho, far better than any of the guest setters who don't know or use the walls as well. The guest setter's routes tend to be rushed as they only have a limited time to turn up, strip the wall & put a new route up. Andy's routes (currently from 4 up to 7c) are thoughtful & testing . He sets technical balancey routes through to power fests - they're not all similar at all. If you ever get to the point where you can climb all his routes before they're changed then you'll be a decent climber. (Also mcc change their routes more frequently over the winter months when the weather is not often conducive to getting outside.)
Post edited at 18:06

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...