UKC

Which Hardshell?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ColinVern 10 Dec 2014
Hi, I'm looking for a Hardshell in the £150-200 range which could be used for hillwalking/climbing and potentially winter climbing that will last me a few years. I'm not particularly looking for something with all the latest high-spec gizmos, rather something that fits well and has good design features for the pockets/cuffs etc.
I'm pretty poor at comparing products between different sites and brands as they all seem to try and flog their items as the best available, so any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Colin
 Howdawg 10 Dec 2014
In reply to ColinVern:

I just bought a Rab Latok Alpine from snow and rock, really nice jacket - down from £240 to £170
http://www.snowandrock.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=RAB0237RR
 Guy Hurst 10 Dec 2014
In reply to ColinVern:

The Keela Munro might fit the bill, as long as you don't mind something a bit heavier and warmer than most modern shells. Very well made, hard wearing, effective, comfortable and cheap by the standards of Gore/eVent?Paramo etc. Or look out for one of the Rab eVent jackets, like the Mountain Dru, which are often on sale and so fall into your price range.
OP ColinVern 10 Dec 2014
In reply to Howdawg:
This looks to fit the bill, however some of the reviews i've seen mention that it isn't all that waterproof. As you've got one, what's your opinion on this?
bricknall 10 Dec 2014
In reply to ColinVern:

Hi mate, keep an eye on sportpersuit, they often have high spec jakets £300+ for £150 to £200. Im not sure if they're last years colours and back stock. I snaped up my hagloffs for around 130 from 280 ish and im verry happy with it.

Steve.
OP ColinVern 10 Dec 2014
In reply to bricknall:
Thanks I'll keep my eye on it.
 Howdawg 10 Dec 2014
In reply to ColinVern:

Havent had a chance to use it yet actually :P so cant tell you
 The Potato 10 Dec 2014
In reply to ColinVern:

Ive been using my Mountain equipment ogre for several years and it still impresses in its breathability and waterproofness. Its gore pro shell, nicely cut, good features and Ill be buying another (if they still make them when this one dies).
DayWalker123 14 Dec 2014
In reply to ColinVern:

Have you had a look at this montane?

http://m.blacks.co.uk/mens/118087-montane-mens-direct-ascent-event-jacket-b...

Just got one myself. Although size is a bit strange. I'm usually a large in jackets but the large in montane was huge. Had to go to medium which is perfect.
 andyd1970 14 Dec 2014
In reply to ColinVern:

Hi
I have used mountain Equipment jackets for a number of years and find them really good. The hoods are good and all the pockets seam to be in the right place. I personally would try and go with a hood with a wired peak rather than a laminated as they seam to handle the wind better.
I tried Rab as i liked the looked of the Latok alpine a few years ago but it wasn't as tough and I found Event fabric not as good as goretex, so I went back to ME.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...