UKC

decathlon xxlight down jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tnj 10 Dec 2014
Hi,

Has anyone used one of decathlon's lightweight down jackets (called xxlight I think). I would use it mainly for ski-touring and multi-pitch climbing. How warm is it? I have heard the down isnt that great.

Any advice appreciated

Tom
Removed User 10 Dec 2014
In reply to tnj:

I have one of their lightweight down jackets (hooded version) and I'm satisfied with it. With a price tag of 50 Euro I believe its price/quality ratio is unbeatable...
 climber34neil 10 Dec 2014
In reply to tnj:

If it's the one that is £30 then it's not the best quality down but then for £30 you can't go wrong, good fit and keeps you warm, the only downside would be if the down came from birds infected with with bird flu! Assuming it hasn't then it's a bargain!
OP tnj 10 Dec 2014
In reply to tnj:

Cheers for your responses. How warm is it in terms of in comparison to a light/medium/heavy fleece? I weighed it in store (pathetic I know) and it was 270grams. pretty damn light! Im just worried it is a bit too light if the down isnt that great. And yes, at 55 euros it does seem like a bargain. I could drop it down the mountain and replace it twice before it was close to a name brand model in price.
 galpinos 10 Dec 2014
In reply to climber34neil:
> the only downside would be if the down came from birds infected with with bird flu!

Or live plucked, or kept in horrible conditions or.......

Does their down have any certification of its provenance?
 galpinos 10 Dec 2014
In reply to tnj:

This one?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/for700-xxlight-men-down-jacket-id_8281847.html#a...

It has 94g of down, compare to the ME or Rab equivalent, they both have between 140 and 160g of (slightly better quality, 90/10) down. Decathalon don't state fill power so that can't be compared.
 Timmd 10 Dec 2014
In reply to galpinos:

> Or live plucked, or kept in horrible conditions or.......

> Does their down have any certification of its provenance?

Not as far as I know. That's got to be something worth thinking about.
Removed User 10 Dec 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Well, that's from their website:

"Important information about the origin of duck down
Our down is taken from Chines ducks that are already dead. We have the death certificates for the ducks from which the feathers have been taken"

sbc_10 10 Dec 2014
In reply to Removed UserZebdi:

> ...ducks that are already dead. We have the death certificates for the ducks ....."

I suspect the doctor who wrote these must be a bit of a quack.

In reply to tnj:

I have one from last year, when it was marketed under their Wed'ze ski brand, and had 90/10 down.

It has nominally 100g of down, that I'd estimate is probably around 550fp. The shell fabric is a very lightweight microfibre, so don't expect great abrasion resistance. The total weight of my size M version is 250g. It's a lightweight down jacket intended for active use, not intended as a belay jacket... I've used it as a compact overlayer for skiing, carried in a small MTB backpack for use if the temperature drops or for long stops.

It's probably equivalent to a 40-60g/m2 synthetic item.

I recently picked up one of their Inuit hooded down jackets, at the silly, end-of-line price of £35. Same amount of down, but seems to loft better, or maybe the square quilting makes it seem that way.
 Timmd 10 Dec 2014
In reply to Removed UserZebdi:

> Well, that's from their website:

> "Important information about the origin of duck down

> Our down is taken from Chines ducks that are already dead. We have the death certificates for the ducks from which the feathers have been taken"

Fair enough!
In reply to captain paranoia:

Now back home and had a look at the jacket again... Given how little down is in the thing (90g), it actually lofts quite well, so probably better than my earlier guess of 550fp. And probably closer to 60g synthetic equivalent.

The sleeve shoulder design is better than your usual cheap items, in that it's a hybrid raglan/cap sleeve, with baffles running front to back across the shoulder, so there's no seam on the shoulder line, and the baffles don't leave empty spots, which is a common failing.
OP tnj 10 Dec 2014
In reply to tnj:

Thank you for your detailed info captain! I think I will get one and see how it goes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...