UKC

UKC Conditions Skye 11th Decemberr

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Lates 11 Dec 2014
Bitter gales interspersed with warm pulses is what we've had & forecast to continue through next week. We haven't got the depth of snow that was around this time last year so unlikely to be any Traverse action. By contrast the mixed has been excellent and is likely to remain this way on any day when forecast is for 5 degrees or less. Cracks likely to be a bit more choked up but should also be some ice thick enough to use for both feet & axes.
OP Mike Lates 11 Dec 2014
 Cog 12 Dec 2014
In reply to Mike Lates:

We went on the SYHA climbing course at Glen Brittle in ’74, it was run by Mr O’Donovan and Mr Taplin.
OP Mike Lates 13 Dec 2014
In reply to Cog:

Graham Akroyd says all he can remember were his shorts but sounds like quite some guy. Who was Taplin?
In reply to Mike Lates:

Very fine icy conditions for anyone who's ard enough but we got murdered by a lunchtime storm. http://skyeguides.co.uk/spanked-by-the-weather-12th-december/
Now tons of powder sitting on top of banks of graupel so approach cleverly & choose something steep.
 Andrew Barker 13 Dec 2014
In reply to Mike Lates:

Great to see you're still doing UKC winter updates as well as the blog. I'm looking forward to being back up on Skye again from any time after Christmas. At the end of every winter season we've been on Skye my dad has made the pessimistic-sounding observation that all of the snow has to "go away and come back again" before we can do any more winter climbing on the island so it's great to see photos of it coming back again!

Thanks for the photos you took on our last day out last season. We both liked the caption for this one

http://skyeguides.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/1st-pinn/alpinist-in-scotland.jp...

I may have a few that we took of you at the same time that I forgot to send you. I'll dig them out.
In reply to Andrew Barker:
Its my pleasure to be able to!
Mega start to the season even if late. Heavy freeze overnight, tons more snow today, touch of thaw, more wind tomorrow then calmer Monday and not above 6deg at sea-level. Ice was plastered thick enough to take a bit of abuse so very hopeful of a good week ahead.
Worth checking out & following the Skye Guides facebook page too cos it's quickest way for me to put stuff up when pushed for time.
Haste ye back & bring Dad too
 Cog 14 Dec 2014
In reply to Mike Lates:

> Graham Akroyd says all he can remember were his shorts but sounds like quite some guy. Who was Taplin?

I don't remember shorts but he was very keen. We did Little Gully and he said one 'student' had climbed the constriction feet first.

There are a couple of mentions of Bob Taplin on p 324 of Skye Sea Cliffs, he also did new routes in the Cairngorms, in the Northern Corries and on Stag Rocks.

A few years ago I got a long e-mail from your man Stuart Pedlar, I e-mailed back, I also phoned him and left a message, I never heard from him again!
OP Mike Lates 18 Dec 2014
In reply to Cog:

Spoke with Stuart couple of days ago & will mention it; a most polite chap who will be mortified but glad to be told.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...