UKC

exemption from jury service

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mark s 11 Dec 2014
i have a summons for jury service in january and was wondering if anyone know if firefighters can use work to get out of it?
ive scanned the net and can only find they are exempt in america

Trangia 11 Dec 2014
In reply to mark s:

I doubt it I'm afraid, unless you can prove that you are vital to your team. You would proibably require a letter from your station commander to say that they can't function without you!

Go for it! It's interesting to experience doing jury service, especially if you get an interesting case. I enjoyed the experience.

The Potato 11 Dec 2014
In reply to mark s:

why not do it? you get paid your normal amount with none of the risk of your usual job
 FactorXXX 11 Dec 2014
In reply to mark s:

The chances are, that you'll be sat around all day, possibly even days and not do much bar waiting to be called.
As a fire-fighter, it'll be a bit of a busman's holiday...

Guy Hurst 11 Dec 2014
In reply to mark s:

Somebody's got to do it.
 timjones 11 Dec 2014
In reply to mark s:

> i have a summons for jury service in january and was wondering if anyone know if firefighters can use work to get out of it?

> ive scanned the net and can only find they are exempt in america

Why do you think firefighters should be exempt?

If an employer can provide cover for sick leave and holidays, they can provide cover form jury service.
 Mr Lopez 11 Dec 2014
In reply to ow arm:

> with none of the risk of your usual job

Overeating and sprained wrists from playing table tennis?
 BusyLizzie 11 Dec 2014
In reply to mark s:

Why do you want to get out of it?
In reply to mark s:

Go, and do your duty to your community, (for a change.)

OP mark s 11 Dec 2014
In reply to Mr Lopez:

> Overeating and sprained wrists from playing table tennis?

ive been inside a kitchen fire today so a bit off the mark there.
 Fraser 11 Dec 2014
In reply to mark s:

According to this link, no exemption (unless you tried it under the 3rd from last reason below):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juries_in_England_and_Wales#Eligibility_for_ju...

People are excused from jury service if:

-they are currently a resident in a hospital or other similar institution, due to attend a hospital appointment or operation or recovering from an operation;
-they regularly visit a medical practitioner for treatment;
-they are in guardianship under section 7 of the Mental Health Act 1983;
-a judge has decided they are not capable of managing and administering property or affairs because of mental disorder/mental health problem
-other medical reasons preclude their service. Medical certificates are only required if the Jury Central Summoning Bureau asks for one;
-they have already booked and paid for an important family event such as a wedding or a holiday;
-they have urgent work commitments which, if not completed on time, would have a detrimental effect to their business;
-they have been on jury service in the past two years (except coroner's juries), or the individual has been exempted from jury service for a period of time that has not yet ended.
-they are a full-time member of Her Majesty's naval, military or air forces and their commanding officer certifies that their absence would prejudice the efficiency of the service.

I received a citation a couple of months ago (for Scottish jury service) and it was pretty much the same IIRC. I was excused as I'd served within the previous 2 years.

Stevie989 11 Dec 2014
In reply to mark s:

You can also get away with it if you are likely to be a known and recognised member of the local community.

You might not even be called anyway.
 BusyLizzie 11 Dec 2014
In reply to mark s:

Following up my "why do you want to get out of it" - we should all do this if we are called, if we possibly can, because one day we might need it ourselves. Mistakes happen; you might one day be on trial for something you didn't do. Or for something you did do but didn't mean to do. And the thing about juries is that they are ordinary people without special training, without (hopefully) the cynicism that can happen sometimes to people who work in the criminal justice system, with ordinary common sense ... Yes, they are not perfect. But one day you might be glad to have one.

It's also very interesting, or can be. You might enjoy it! I'd love to do it but have never been called.
Removed User 11 Dec 2014
In reply to mark s:

one exemption (apart from the usual stuff-armed forces, clergy, bonkers etc) is if you are an Active Elder Brethren of the Corporation of Trinity House of Deptford Strond. I am not making this up, nor have I had a drink-have done jury device 3 times. Take a good book, you will be hanging around a lot.
In reply to mark s: GIven that firefighters don't do a right lot you should be glad of the opportunity. That's fighting talk that is.

Skyfall 11 Dec 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:
I completely agree we shoud all do this if asked. It's part and parcel of being in a community which has laws to protect us all. A bit like being in a democracy and exercising your right to vote but possibly more important.

Slightly differently, I have the opportunity to attend court for a complex family law case soon which should be interesting...
Post edited at 22:18
Removed User 11 Dec 2014
In reply to mark s:

Try this, tell them you are an insulin diabetic ( i am) and you would love to do it if they can guarantee regular meal times, I have always wanted to try jury service but I've always been called when I'm too bloody busy, it never fails!
 Adam Lincoln 11 Dec 2014
In reply to ow arm:

> why not do it? you get paid your normal amount with none of the risk of your usual job

Really? I did it when i was 18 and didn't get all my wages covered. They certainly wouldn't cover them nowadays! Thats for sure...
 Albert Tatlock 11 Dec 2014
In reply to mark s:

I assume the Fire service will cover your salary whilst you are required to do jury service, is it the other work on your rest days that most fire fighters do, that will not be covered and the reason to try to be exempt ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...